*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889125-Benjamin
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Animal · #889125
This is a sad tale of a mouse called Benjamin. I know I cried.
To start off, there was once a young mouse called Benjamin. He wasn't an ordinary field mouse, for he had white fur and lived in a hole within a house of a lovely family. He had a pink nose; pink tail, white teeth and bright blue eyes.
And he loved grain. Absolutely adored it, he did.
But, it was hard to come by, for there was only grain found within the larder room. Benjamin wasn't a fool. For he knew the house cat, Charlie, would try to eat him.


One day, the family was away somewhere and the maid, Beatrice, had left after her duties were done. Poking his nose out from his hole in the Living Room wall, Benjamin peeked out, sniffing food. Across the Living Room, near the side of his wall, was the larder door. It was open!

Scuttling across the floor of the Living Room towards the larder room, Benjamin entered and saw many eatable treats. He saw ham tied up, a potato sack filled to the brim, bread and cheese. But what really caught Benjamin's eyes was a sackful of grain! Benjamin hopped upon the grain sack and started nibbling enthusiastically and happily.


Unknown to Benjamin, Charlie the house cat was behind the door, which he accidentally closed as he stood up on all four paws. And was getting ready to strike. Then, Charlie made a mistake, he growled.


Benjamin perked up his ears and turned around as Charlie pounced at Benjamin! Benjamin quickly leaped into the air and watched as Charlie missed him, crashing into the potato sack and getting entangled. This gave Benjamin some time.


Benjamin ran to the door and squeezed under a crack as Charlie untangled himself and was bounding after Benjamin. Benjamin made it out and heard a bang and a yowl as Charlie hit the door.


Racing back into his hole, Benjamin curled upon his straw bed and remained there sleeping for the rest of the day. The family returned and let the yowling Charlie out of the larder, kicking him outside for messing up the larder room.
Eventually, the day passed and they all went to bed, as Benjamin slept peacefully within his straw bed.


There was a fire! The maid left the stove aflame and it got out of control in the kitchen, travelling across to the Living Room and near Benjamin's wall. The fire licked the sides of the wall and erupted, as Benjamin's home was suddenly alight with fire and smoke.
Benjamin was still sleeping until he noticed his fur was on fire, as was his straw bed! Opening his bright blue eyes, Benjamin wheezed as the smoke got caught in his tiny lungs, his fur still aflame. Benjamin didn't stand a chance. The smoke and fire was too plentiful and as he died, Benjamin closed his eyes one last time.


The family got out all right. The fire department came and put out the fire. One of the men held Benjamin's body, the tail burnt and his white fur now charred black. The two children of the family decided to bury the body in the backyard. They did so, holding a funeral of their own for the mouse they never knew.


Eventually, the family moved away, taking Charlie with them. The only sign that a mouse was there was a white flower slightly drooping above his grave. And that is the story of a white mouse with blue eyes called, Benjamin.

© Copyright 2004 Simon Wellis (acer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889125-Benjamin