*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/888827-Rest-In-Peace
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #888827
Now, this will get you on your toes. A dream I had.
I had this dream the other night. In the dream there was a man in a mansion. He was running down a hallway carrying a clipboard, and two books in his hands. One of the books had two sketches of a winged gargoyle. The other of a skeleton with a pumpkin upon his head.


The man is a skinny accountant and is medium in height, has slicked back brown hair and brown eyes behind his fashionable glasses. He wears a black business suit.
He stops at the end of the hallway. There is a wall facing him with a small mirror hanging on it. The man twirls away from the mirror as if he heard something. He does not notice that the mirror is changing into a larger one. The wall is expanding so it is very large. There are a few spectres inside harmlessly swirling in circles. A giant skull and crossbones appears within the mirror, the spectres swirling round it.


The frantic man turns around, looking with fear at the large skull. At that moment the skull bursts into flame, appearing to laugh as the man twists round and runs away. He doesn't notice the flaming skull disappear or the tombstone with R.I.P. now reflected in the mirror.


The man flees to a door at the other end of the hallway. The mirror turns back to normal once the door is opened. Looking back he sees the normal mirror, and sighs with relief. As he backs through the darkened doorway he trips and falls down, with his books and clipboard clutched within his hands as he falls down the floorless pit and thumps upon ground after a while.


Getting up,he notices he is within a basement. There are stone carvings of gothic design all over the place, as well as cobwebs and dust. He goes into another room, where a giant monster is sleeping upon the ground. After tip-toeing past the monster, he is in another room. This one with a small black whirlpool and two stone gargoyles at the opposite sides of two small staircases leading up to a door.


The man walks over to the right stairway and starts to climb, then, the stone gargoyle screeches in his face and the man stumbles backwards into the black whirlpool. Clutching his sketchbook with him. Then, the whirlpool activates, the two drawings and the man swirl round and round. The man is transformed, his glasses askew and grows a pumpkin head. He gets dressed all in a black tuxedo with tails and gets flowing black whispy hair and a black cape. He has transformed into his pumpkin skeleton!
Classical music drifts from nowhere and the man prances up the stairway as graceful as a ballerina and, his pumpkin head grinning,sets himself on fire.


He opens the door and we see darkness, the music hitting a cresendo, then a light where we see some monsters huddled round a coffin that is filled with water.
The pumpkin-man jumps and falls, down, down, down, samasaults and then splashes into the coffin and the fire is put out. But, as he hits the coffin, it gets dug deep into the ground, the coffin lid shuts, the monsters look on as the ground pats over it and a large tombstone comes down swiftly.
On the second last note of the music, the tombstone smacks into the the ground with R.I.P upon it and the the monsters huddle around the tombstone.


Then,we fade out with the last note of classical music lingering and we see a tombstone like the one we saw, but is in a magazine and the monsters are now people huddled round the tombstone which has a wreath around it, an advert for a funeral service. We pan out to see it is held by a boy, who then turns the page.
© Copyright 2004 Simon Wellis (acer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/888827-Rest-In-Peace