*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889364-Charlottes-Chance
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #889364
This was written for a contest. If you review consider the writing not the subject.
This piece has been written for a contest supporting the life of the unborn child. If you are reviewing for purposes other than the contest, please consider the writing itself and try not to judge based on what it is for or against. Thanks in advance!

Charlotte’s Chance

By Kelly Ell


This day a baby girl was born. Her mother named her Charlotte. She was dressed in pink and all the nurses and doctors commented on what a cute little girl she was.

Five-year-old Charlotte is playing house with her dolls. She is pouring them tea and making them breakfast in her tiny little plastic kitchen. After the dolls finish their breakfast its time for their nap. Charlotte tucks them into her bed and tells them a story she makes up on the spot. She gives them each a kiss on their little noses before skipping back to the kitchen to do her dishes.

Charlotte is eight. She's a beautiful child. Everyone says so. With her bright blue eyes and her natural curly chocolate hair dancing around her shoulders. Charlotte doesn't even know how beautiful she really is and to her it doesn’t really matter. She is a natural beauty indeed.

She loves playing and being with her friends. She could spend hours and hours with her Barbies or talking by the swing set with her friends. The endless giggle sessions, the ‘who can jump the furthest off the swings’ contests, jump roping and singing songs.

It's Charlotte’s sweet sixteen party. All her friends and family are there. She’s smiling and posing for pictures. The boys are all gathered together by the folding chairs and the girls are standing across the yard looking at them, turning to each other and whispering.

Later on that night, Charlotte in her pretty pink dress with her curly hair tied up with a ribbon is talking to one of the boys. She’s looking at her feet but smiling the prettiest smile ever with her face glowing in the moonlight. The young man looks at her when he’s sure she isn't looking, the eye contact would be too much for the both of them. They make a sweet couple. Charlotte smiles.

They sneak off to the front porch to steal a quick kiss before the night comes to an end. When the party ends Charlotte runs up to her room to write in her diary about the night and the kiss.

Charlotte is eighteen. She just graduated from high school. Her parents and family are so proud. They bought her a car as a gift. It’s not a flashy car but it's hers.

She's extremely excited to be starting college in the fall. It may not be the best school, but she is happy to go. Charlotte is looking forward to the challenge and ready to start out on her own.

Now Charlotte is dressed in the most gorgeous white gown you have ever seen. It’s her wedding day. She is about to marry a very handsome man who has a good job and a good family. He's smart, kind and very caring.

Charlotte is very happy.

Charlotte is older, she doesn't say how old. Her eyes are still bright and her hair still chocolate. She has two children. Charlotte could not be any more pleased with how her life turned out. Of course it’s not over, and for that she is glad, but every now and then she takes a moment to just ponder what a great life she was given. She is thankful.

Of course Charlotte’s life hadn’t been perfect. She made mistakes; experienced heartache and sadness, but there was so much love and happiness in her life, she never wished to have things any other way. She was glad to have her life, her family and her friends.

This story is sweet. It may not be exciting or dramatic with twists and turns. Charlotte’s life would have been full of joy and happiness. But Charlotte never got the chance to find out what her life would be like. Charlotte was aborted.
© Copyright 2004 Kelly L Greg (kellyl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/889364-Charlottes-Chance