*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/907769-The-Spirit-Vampire-Prologue
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #907769
A brief history of spirit vampires.
Several thousand years ago, some angels rebelled against God. He drove them into hell and transformed them into demons. The demons stole the knowledge required to create angels, but they did not have the magic to form them. They instead made derivative beings.

These beings had feathery wings, but like angels, they could hide them and appear as humans. Although much less powerful than either angels or demons, they were superior in one respect; they could absorb souls into themselves. The souls would remain within these creatures until they died, whereupon the souls disintegrated. Because of this ability, they became known as spirit vampires.

The spirit vampires were placed upon the Earth and ordered to hunt the virtuous. People were at first unaware of their presence, but they increased in number until the Renaissance, when their activities could no longer be hidden from the Church. The Vatican was loath to warn their people, for this could discourage them from following God's teachings.

A new, secret order of priests was formed. They were instructed to use any magical and common means to eradicate the spirit vampires. The order was very successful. By 1850, no spirit vampire was left and the priests were integrated into other orders.

During the extermination, one priest learned how the spirit vampires were made. He kept this information secret from all except one nephew and from there, the knowledge was passed down through the generations. One of these descendants is my creator.
© Copyright 2004 Ariadne (ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/907769-The-Spirit-Vampire-Prologue