*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910174-The-Spirit-Vampire-Chapter-One
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Fantasy · #910174
A woman's contented life is unsettled when she meets her daughter's housemate.
Chapter One: Therron


Eve sighed contentedly as Catherine took her parents on a walking tour of the city centre. David and Eve didn't see their daughter enough, not since she left home to attend Melbourne University. She had grown her hair so long - and dyed it chocolate brown too! Eve often wished that their house was closer, but Catherine was thriving and obviously valued her independence. Eve touched her expanding stomach. "Just as well there's another child on the way," she murmured.

"… and this is the State Library of Victoria," Catherine said.

"Cathy, I sometimes attend meetings in this area, you know," David chuckled.

"But not at night. And Mum definitely hasn't seen this before. Isn't that right?"

"Yes," Eve laughed as her eyes followed Catherine's slender finger. The library was impressive. The wall surrounding the entry was bathed in golden light and the tall, dark columns in front were contrasted against it. Above it all was a statue, perching on the roof.

The light did not touch the statue, so Eve could not see it in detail, but it struck her as odd. It seemed to be an angel, yet its hands were not clasped in prayer nor were its arms outstretched with joy; they were crossed against its chest. Along with the downturned head, this made it appear to brood over the people below. Eve also could not remember the last time she saw an angel in trousers.

A gust of wind blew her hair into her face. As she brushed it aside, she could have sworn that the statue's feathers and hair moved.

"What's wrong Mum?" David was already far ahead and Catherine was walking back to her.

"I - was just looking at that statue."

Catherine squinted. "Weird! I've passed by this place often, but I can't recall seeing it before. And I thought I was observant." She giggled.

Eve glanced back before she followed her family. The statue did not move again.

--------------------------------------------

Catherine returned home for Christmas. She greeted her parents by showering them with kisses and hugs.

"Where's Therron?" David asked, "You said he'd finally have time to meet us today."

"He's getting the gifts and dessert from the car."

Eve could not help staring at Catherine's housemate when he appeared. Despite the oppressive, summer heat, he wore a heavy coat. His hair and long, thin face were pale. Only his piercing, green eyes indicated that he was not albino. These fixed onto her as if they willed to see her very soul. "Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Goodman."

"Merry Christmas Therron." Eve took the dessert into the kitchen, shivering when she felt his eyes upon her back.

The atmosphere during lunch was awkward. Therron did not laugh or smile and spoke only to succinctly answer David and Eves' questions. Catherine seemed used to his behaviour, but even she was discomfited by the way he frowned at her mother. David skipped from one conversation topic to another in an attempt to engage Therron.

"Has Cathy told you much about her mother's pregnancy?" he said.

Therron blinked and turned to David. "She has mentioned it. When is the baby due?"

David beamed. "In three months! She's a bit of a surprise really. We had tried to have a second child for years and gave up two years ago…"

Once David started on this subject he was difficult to stop, so Eve was not surprised when Therron's gaze drifted away. She was annoyed when his attention turned towards her stomach though.

After lunch, David led Therron into the garden to show off the water feature and the new lemon tree. Catherine helped Eve with the dishes. "I'm sorry about the way Therron's been acting. He's nice once you get to know him."

"Humph. Do you know why he stared at my face and belly so much? And are you sure that you're safe with him?"

"Mum, I'd trust him with my life." Catherine tipped her head back to think. "I'm not sure why he did that, but I know that I've heard him talk about his father several times and he never mentions his mother. Maybe she died or left when he was very young. If so, he must find you interesting."

Within an hour, the presents had been unwrapped and Catherine and Therron prepared to leave. As Catherine hugged her father, Therron shook Eve's hand. She was startled to find that his hands were icy. "Thank you for the lunch and gift, and take care of the baby. I look forward to meeting you again."

"You're welcome." Eve somehow feared that they would.
© Copyright 2004 Ariadne (ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/910174-The-Spirit-Vampire-Chapter-One