*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/908755-Otherwise-Engaged
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Relationship · #908755
Everyone gets it wrong sometimes.
OTHERWISE ENGAGED



Claire was about to push the start button on the washing machine when she realised she’d forgotten to empty Mike’s pockets. She’d been distracted all morning; unable to do anything with her usual efficiency. Sighing, she fumbled through the items in the drum to retrieve his jeans.

         “Serve him right if I hadn’t remembered,” she muttered, straightening out the ten pound note she’d retrieved from his back pocket. “Why is it me who always has to remember things? Mind like a sieve that one.”

         Still, he made up for it in other ways. Claire had been living with Mike for five years now and was still just as enamoured by him as she’d been at the start. Their relationship suited her: no demands for commitment on either side and no pressure to make plans for the future. On the exterior she appeared to be a cool, twenty-first century, independent woman, but recently a tiny internal stranger kept persuading her to drool over displays in bridal shop windows and tempting her to use the ‘W’ word. Proud and old-fashioned enough to believe it should be his proposal, not hers, she refused to give in to temptation.

         Even the suspicion confirmed this morning with the little kit she’d purchased at the pharmacists would remain a secret until she’d worked out a way of telling Mike without him feeling he had to do the right thing. God forbid he’d feel forced into a marriage he didn’t want. The prospect of becoming a mother to his child filled her with delight but she had reservations about how he’d react.

         Another sigh escaped as she emptied the side pocket of the jeans. A chewing gum wrapper, a few odd coins and a crumpled piece of paper were its only contents. Unfolding the paper absently, her brow furrowed as she read the words:
‘Ring 127599 – Ask for Ruby.’

         “What the hell….” Claire’s already over-stressed brain went into overdrive. Admittedly, she’d not been over attentive lately, now understanding the tired and nauseous feelings that had driven her to take a series of early nights, but surely she’d not been so neglectful that he needed to turn to another woman? Who was this Ruby anyway? A blind date? Someone he worked with? A prostitute even? It could explain why he’d been a bit cagey and preoccupied lately. Come to think of it, she’d caught him on the phone the other day when she arrived home earlier than expected. He’d looked decidedly sheepish; mumbling a hurried goodbye and replacing the receiver. She hadn’t asked about the call; never wanting to appear over-possessive but he’d not volunteered any information either. Was this going to develop into something from a television soap drama? Just as girl discovers she’s pregnant, boy walks out for another woman? Oh, great timing.

         Well, she’d find out who Ruby was and demand to know exactly what was going on. Mentally preparing her speech, she dialled the number carefully. The line was engaged.

         “The person you are calling is already on the phone. Please leave your number after the tone, your call will be returned as soon as possible.” Claire hadn’t anticipated that and was rendered speechless.

         Slamming down the receiver she returned to the domestics but her mind wouldn’t focus. After a coffee and a great deal of soul searching she decided to try again.

         “The person you are calling is already on the phone. Please leave your number after the tone, your call will be returned as soon as possible.” Was Ruby talking to Mike at this very moment?

         “Hello, this is…” What was she to say? This is Mike’s girlfriend and who the hell are you? It sounded ridiculous. Replacing the receiver again she decided if she couldn’t talk directly to Ruby, she’d wait until Mike came in and find a discrete way of extracting the truth from him.

         A wasted afternoon, fretting and holding back from crying did nothing to help her health or temper. She still hadn’t worked out how to approach the subject when glancing at her watch she realised Mike was already half an hour late, adding more fuel to her worst fears. She’d try one more time to speak to Ruby.

         The phone was still engaged. Either Mike and his new love had an awful lot to talk about or Ruby was a very popular girl. Claire composed herself and decided to leave their number on the answer machine.

         As she walked away from the phone a rather flustered Mike came in through the front door. Was that a secret smile of satisfaction she detected on his face?

         “Hi honey.” He kissed her cheek. “Have you started cooking yet?”

         Hungry was he? She didn’t want to think about what he’d been doing to work up an appetite. But she refused to lose her composure.

         “No, I’ve been a bit busy today but I can whip something up quick if you’re desperate to eat.”

         “Let’s go out for a meal. I fancy a change. Anyway, there’s something I want to discuss with you, it’d be better away from here. Get your coat.”

         So, this was it then? Wining and dining her before letting her down gently? No way would she tell him her news if he was about to pack his belongings and shack up with someone else. Claire bit her lip in an effort to suppress the tears threatening to spill. She was a strong woman but hadn’t planned on facing the future alone as a single mother.

         Mike seemed remarkably cheerful over dinner, chatting animatedly about his work, their friends and even ways they could improve their home. Confusion wrapped itself around Claire like a November fog. Over coffee he took on a more serious tone.

         “Claire, I’ve been thinking about the future. I hope you don’t mind but I’ve…” He hesitated; she held her breath waiting for the bad news.

         Mike pushed a small blue, velvet covered box across the table. “Oh, I’m hopeless at this sort of thing,” he concluded.

         Claire gasped as she opened the box, revealing a beautiful, glistening engagement ring.

         “I hope you like it.” Mike searched her face for an answer. “The original one was set with a sapphire but I remembered what you‘d said about liking your birthstone and I asked if it could be replaced with a ruby. Cost a bit more, but well, you’re worth it.”

         Claire knew precisely how much her ruby engagement ring had cost; exactly one thousand, two hundred and seventy five pounds, ninety nine pence. £1275.99 in numerical terms but she was saying nothing except ‘yes’ and ‘thank you.’

         Mike was delighted too by her news; they sipped champagne as a dual celebration, Claire’s earlier feelings of doubt and fear rapidly fading away.

         They returned home in high spirits, the shrill tone of the telephone greeting them almost before they’d stepped through the front door.

         “I’ll get that, you go and pour us a nightcap,” Mike insisted. Several minutes later he joined her on the settee, scratching his head and looking a little perplexed.

         “Who was it darling?” Claire asked.

         “Just a double glazing company. But the funny thing is they said they’ve been very busy and apologised for not returning my call before now. I know we’ve been thinking of replacing the windows but I don’t remember ringing anyone about it.”

         “Well, you know what your memory’s like. You even left a ten pound note in your pocket when you put your jeans in the washing basket. It’s a good job you’ve got me to look after you in the future.” Claire bit her lip again, this time to repress the laughter bubbling inside her.







© Copyright 2004 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/908755-Otherwise-Engaged