*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027119-For-One-Night-Only
Rated: GC · Short Story · Adult · #1027119
Magic happens at Halloween in more ways than one.
FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY


Sarah stepped from the train, a mixture of excitement, tension and regret battling for dominance in the pit of her stomach. The weak autumn sunshine was fading rapidly as the mist of early evening threatened to take over, but leaving the sky still clear enough for Sarah to take in the view. Nothing had changed. It was almost ten years since she’d last seen this town and already she was wondering if she’d made the right decision to return. The invitation to the Halloween Ball at Winterbourne Manor had arrived a few weeks ago and taken her completely by surprise. She’d believed everyone had forgotten her by now, but it seemed her best friend Lisa from school wanted to pick up the pieces. Did she know why Sarah had been forced to make the sudden exit from home all that time ago? Had she tried to contact her before? How had she found out where she was now residing, so far away from this suffocating little place? So many questions to be answered, so many mysteries to be solved, but for Sarah one query was uppermost in her mind. Would he be at the Ball tonight?

         Almost a decade ago Sarah had fallen in love. At sixteen it seemed no one would take her claim seriously but she knew then, just as she did now, that Ricky was the love of her life, her soul mate, her perfect match. Strangely enough they’d met at a friend’s Halloween party, a fancy dress affair, he clothed as a vampire, she in a pumpkin-patterned dress and matching hat. Something had stirred the moment their eyes met, something new and mysterious to Sarah, but something magnetic and overpowering. They’d chatted and danced all evening until midnight, Sarah suddenly realising her Cinderella promise to her father had been broken and how much trouble she‘d be in when she arrived home. Sarah’s mother had died shortly after giving birth and her father had always been over-protective and strict with his only daughter.

         Ricky had escorted her home, running swiftly through the winding streets, kissing her softly as he left her standing by her door, a kiss she had never forgotten, a kiss which took her breath away and left her in no doubt about her feelings for the handsome eighteen-year old.

         “Goodnight Pumpkin, see you soon,’ he’d whispered before disappearing into the night. The nickname had stuck; for fifteen glorious months she had been his ‘Pumpkin,’ a secret only the two of them shared.

         Her father was angry at her lateness of course, but she’d managed to smooth things over by telling him she’d fallen asleep because the party was so boring. Youthful optimism hoped he wouldn’t discover the truth, but in a town this size news travelled fast and when rumours of Sarah being seen with a man reached her father’s ears, she found herself in more trouble than she’d bargained for. He forbade her to ever see Ricky again but that was something Sarah found impossible to accept.

         Over the next year she and Ricky managed to meet often, in places out of range of the town and prying eyes, her father accepting the various evening classes and meetings she used as excuses. They were lucky to not be caught out, but even luckier to share a love which grew in strength and intensity almost daily.

         The following Halloween they’d spent alone at a friend of Ricky’s empty apartment. It was the first time they’d made love, the first time ever for Sarah and something so wonderful she still remembered every intimate detail. So in tune and familiar by then, the awkward moments when clothes hindered their progress and the stark light illuminating those initial minutes of clumsiness only made them giggle; relaxed them even further into the unique and perfect intimacy only true lovers can experience. Standing naked before each other for the first time, there was no doubt in either of their minds what lay ahead was right, the consummation of a love between two people who’d grown to be part of the other.

         Sarah remembered the scent of his skin, the feel of his soft boyish stubble against her cheek as their kisses intensified. His full, soft lips exploring her breasts, teasing her nipples, making her cry out for more. She recalled her excitement at exploring a man’s body for the first time, tracing the contours, stroking his broad back and knowing instinctively how to please him further by caressing his long, hard manhood. Sarah had never forgotten the look in his eyes as they ultimately moved together in perfect harmony, the way his hair formed a dark wavy curtain swaying with the rhythm of their bodies, until he’d tilted his head back in ecstasy as he reached a shuddering climax. Afterwards he’d spent a long time teaching Sarah the secret delights of her own flesh, generating sensations and feelings she’d only ever read about in novels. Afterwards, they’d dozed peacefully until it was time for Sarah to reluctantly return home.

         For three months their lovemaking became the centre of both their worlds, seizing every opportunity to share the bliss which enveloped them both more and more every time their bodies joined in rapture. Caution gave way to passion and a few weeks later Sarah discovered she was pregnant.

         There was no time for explanations once she’d confessed to her father.

         “Pack,” he’d demanded sternly. “Now.” Just those two words were enough for Sarah to realise she’d probably never see Ricky again.

         She’d been wrenched from the town, transported to a far away place and forced to marry the upstanding son of a businessman friend of her fathers. She was allowed no more contact with Ricky or her hometown.

         Well now her father was dead and could control her no more. Soon after his death, she’d left the clinical loveless marriage and supported herself and Ricky’s son from day to day, not daring to think too much about the future. She’d drifted aimlessly from one pointless affair to another but never found anyone who interested her or could satisfy the passion burning inside. Only Ricky had ever fulfilled her sexual desires and she’d given up hope of ever recreating that special feeling with anyone else.

         Occasionally she’d contemplated returning to her hometown but fear of the unknown and the threat of disappointment had kept her away until this invitation arrived. She no longer believed in Halloween, magic or much else for that matter; but it seemed the right time to return, the memories of Ricky at their height around this season of the year and she couldn’t quite dampen the little flicker of hope burning in her heart.

         Half an hour and a taxi ride later, Sarah found herself on the doorsteps to Winterbourne Manor. Laughter and muted voices drifted through the open window and she hoped her entrance would be barely noticed. A heavily-built doorman greeted her, then fastened a black velvet half mask, adorned with shiny stones around her head. She hadn’t anticipated that and was unsure whether she resented or welcomed it. Half of her wished to be recognisable in case, by chance he was there, the other half wanted to meld into the background to avoid disappointment. Cautiously she headed for the ballroom and slipped quietly into the throng of guests busy chatting, drinking and dancing. Once her eyes had adjusted to the dimly lit room, she inspected the company closest to her. After ten years it was difficult to remember the people she’d known or assess how much they may have altered. But there was no mistaking the long auburn mane of her old friend Lisa and she quickly headed towards her.

         “Lisa? Thanks for inviting me, it was very kind…”

         “Sarah! Is that really you? Wow, you’re looking good, have you brought anyone with you?”

         “No, but I was hoping…”

         “Sorry darling, I’m needed in the kitchen. I’ll be back in a jiffy and I want to hear ALL your news. In the mean time, just circulate; I’m sure you’ll know some of the guests.”

         “Do you know if…” Sarah’s question melted into thin air as Lisa dashed away.

         Left alone, Sarah once more scanned her surroundings. She thought maybe she recognised some of the people but it was hard to tell in the half light, particularly with the many costumes and masks. But then her eyes came to rest on a man at the bar with his back to her. He was tall, broad-shouldered, with dark wavy hair and as far as she could see he was alone. He was far across the room yet she could feel his strong presence, was drawn magnetically to his obvious charisma and prayed he would turn around soon. Could it be Ricky? Something assured her it could and she stood rooted to the spot, visibly shaking from the long-forgotten raw desire he stirred in her. And then he turned and their eyes met. The mask he wore covered much of his face but she’d recognise those green eyes anywhere. Her heart lurched, a familiar aching coursed through her body and she knew before the night was over they’d once more drive each other wild with desire.

         Within seconds he was standing in front of her, refilling the glass of wine she held in her trembling hand. His eyes held hers, he smiled and Sarah relaxed, smiling back with a suggestion she knew he’d understand. As yet they had not touched but the heat emanating from their bodies seemed to meet and merge. Pure sexual yearning raged inside her and she was certain he could sense her passionate hunger.

         Not a word was spoken but his eyes were affirming what she was thinking. His fingers found hers and entwined automatically; she shivered, feeling every nerve ending in her body stand to attention. He’d been inside her mind, in her dreams and fantasies for so long and now she wanted him inside her body once more. Reading her thoughts he placed their empty glasses on a nearby table, took her hand and gently, almost surreally, led her up the wide flight of steps and into a private bedroom. Once inside, the doors only closed for a second before she was in his arms, his warmth enveloping her. It had been such a long time since she’d felt his touch and heard his whispers she thought she might faint with anticipation and was relieved when he positioned her tenderly on the soft four-poster bed in the centre of the room, then lay down beside her.

         His lips found hers and he kissed her softly at first, just as he used to, but she could sense his urgency matched her own. Sarah eagerly returned his fervour, her hands in his hair, her tongue finding his as he stroked her long taut neck. He groaned and murmured as her nipples brushed against his chest, Sarah in turn sharing the pleasure of feeling him solid as stone pressing against her thigh.

         In turn they relieved each other of all impeding garments apart from the masks, all the time their eyes promising each other something so electric only the two of them could create. She knew where all his sexual switches were and how to turn them on and was eager to begin the joyful task of giving him pleasure, knowing she would find herself gaining as much from it as him.

         Sarah’s hands moved gently, so knowing and so sure, confirming what she already knew; here at her mercy was the man who’d fuelled her fantasies for as far back as she could remember. Sarah raised herself and straddled his hips. His fingers tugged at her hair but she needed no urging. Her tongue trailed from his neck, over his chest, circling the hard little nipples, teased at his belly and pubic bone before finally reaching its target. Lazily, languorously she kissed and licked the top of his rock-solid staff, his hips starting to move involuntarily in expectation. Then he was in her mouth, hot, hard, gyrating as Sarah used her lips and tongue to almost drive him out of control. She was reading his pleasure barometer and knew exactly what to do to raise it and when to slow down to allow him to pleasure her. Retracing her route over his exquisite body with her lips and hands, she rolled onto her back, already aware of the throbbing moistness between her legs.

         His lips teased her hardened nipples as the trail of his fingers down her inner thigh produced more of that familiar heat and wetness, like a sudden draught of oxygen in an air-starved room. The touch of his fingers ignited the burgeoning flame of desire into an inferno of need. Instinctively he teased and tickled her swollen mound, then plunged his fingers deep inside her, making her body convulse and her breathing accelerate. She swayed and purred, lost in the sensations and now as uninhibited as a flower opening its petals to the warm sunshine. She reached for him between the heated skin of their entwined bodies and found him still blazing and throbbing, so hard her inner walls started to spasm with the need to have him inside her. He moaned at her touch, feeling the newly warm flow of dampness settle on his hands, still working their magic.

         His mouth reluctantly left hers and made its descent to the volcano approaching eruption between her long, shapely legs. His tongue flicked the hard bud of flesh mercilessly just as he used to, sending Sarah almost over the edge. So aroused she knew just the merest touch would set her on that predictable road. His sexy sixth sense read the signals, within seconds he was inside her, filling her body with his and her heart with his words. Into the sea of desire deeper and deeper they sank, flesh blending together as they lost themselves in the scent and feel of one another’s skin.

         He delighted in seeing her face flush with excitement, her breasts sway to his rhythm, her hips writhe as his long hard shaft pulsed inside her. She lifted her hips to meet his thrusts, taking him deeper, so deep he touched her soul and she cried out as she climaxed hard, his own cries following a moment later.

         Spent and satiated they lay in each other’s arms, their ragged breathing leaving them unable to speak, but both felt the unspoken passionate depth of long lost lovers reunited. They drifted into a light sleep, still clinging to each other as if fearing something may part them.

         Sarah stirred as the town clock struck midnight, her sleepy brain recalled the earlier encounter and she reached over hoping Ricky was ready to start over. He was gone; only the warmth of the space next to her reassured her she had not been dreaming. Confused, she slipped from the bed, dressing in the darkness and made her way down to the ballroom. The guests had thinned a little, some spilled out onto the balustrade; others had found privacy in rooms for their own secret encounters. Thankfully, Lisa was still in the midst of the guests as Sarah approached her.

         “There you are Sarah; I wondered where you’d got to. Come into the study and tell me all your news. We’ve so much catching up to do.” Lisa carried two fresh glasses of wine across the hallway, staggering a little as she beckoned Sarah into the quieter room.

         “Lisa, can this wait a minute? I need to find someone.”

         “Sure, who’s the lucky guy?” Lisa winked, her face breaking into a lop-sided grin.

         “Can you remember Ricky?” Lisa asked, attempting to disguise her panic.

         “Ricky Chambers? Oh yes, I remember him, who wouldn’t? I think every girl in town had a crush on him at some stage. But you won’t find him here, I’m afraid. He’s been buried in the churchyard for more than five years. Such a tragic loss…”

         Sarah fled from the study and ascended the stairs two at a time, her mind in turmoil as she dashed back to the room where she knew she’d shared a passionate encounter with her long-lost lover. It was empty.

         The curtains flapped eerily as a sudden gust of chill wind swept through the room.

         “Thank you, Pumpkin. Take care of that beautiful boy of ours and promise you’ll return next Halloween.” The words hung in the air for a moment and then there was just the sound of her breathing. Sarah sat on the edge of the bed, stunned yet strangely calmer. His words still echoed in her head and she now needed no convincing this was the most magical night of the year. All Hallows Eve, a night when the veil which separates our world from the next is at its thinnest, the one night those on the other side can, if they wish, return to their loved ones. She was in no doubt Ricky had come to her by choice and would do so again next Halloween. It might not be much, but that thought and her love for their son was enough for her right now. She’d leave the future to destiny.

         Sarah straightened her clothing and adjusted her mask before once more descending the stairs. The night was still young and she had much to discuss with her old friend Lisa. Some details she’d keep to herself though; secrets only to be shared with the spirit of her beloved Ricky.


© Copyright 2005 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027119-For-One-Night-Only