*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/911524-Lost-Chapter-3--Persuasion
Rated: XGC · Serial · Fantasy · #911524
Sut'khut speaks before the River Tribe, and a drastic decision is made...
DISCLAIMER: Nonconsensual scene(s).


AUTHOR'S NOTE: The time has come yet again...for an Ameni Chronicles LOST CHAPTER! I'm heading into this with no idea WHATsoever of what to put in here; all I know is that a new chapter is needed to maintain the story's flow. So...here I go, without a net. o_o;

This chapter will bridge the time period between Parts 28 and 29, and should detail some of the River Tribe and Great Red Tribe happenings before the great battle of Part 29. In Part 28 the slimy Captain Sut'khut was introduced, and in Part 29...well...I can't give things away, but that chapter does not end well for more than one of the characters involved. During the rewrite of Part 28 I decided to give Sut'khut a TINY bit more of a human side--he's still utterly despicable and contemptible, but every cloud has a silver lining...or just a little teeny glimmer here and there. Once in a while. I have to admit, despite his (tons upon tons of) flaws, Sut'khut's long been a character I found intriguing and wish I would have spent more time on, and so that's what I've done. This Lost Chapter, Part 28.5, should clarify his character a little bit more, as well as the circumstances which lead to the big blowout in Part 29...which in turn leads into another drastic turn of events.

Well...let's start this and see where exactly it goes. I don't even know who's going to get lucky in here! Eegh. O_o



THE SEARCH OF the Great Red Tribe and all the land surrounding ended in little success. The entire household of General Mahakhi, as well as the households of all the Kana citizens, and their Moru quarters, were searched from top to bottom, the lieutenants ripping open chests and knocking against walls and nudging around in cellars in an effort to find the Moru Bakh'asu, who had escaped the jail cells unnoticed. The guards atop the wall were questioned thoroughly, but no one had seen anything, and even the hidden passages out of the city seemed to have gone unused for a long time. The only trace left behind was a hole in the east wall; the guards reported that it had been there for some time, yet it had not been quite as large--several bricks lay disposed of about it, as if they had been pulled out. The whitewash upon the outside had cracked and fallen off, and a few white fibers, as from a kilt, were found, to indicate that someone had passed through not long before. Aside from that, the Moru had left no trace.

Scouts followed his footprints out to the river, but they were soon lost to view; a search of the riverbank and the desert area surrounding, for as far as they dared to wander, resulted in nothing of use, and they were forced to return home emptyhanded.

General Mahakhi listened to this lack of news with crossed arms and an angry scowl, but did not take out his frustration on the scouts; instead he sent them out again, to cover a wider area, just in case. "I do not care if we have to burrow down into the Duat itself," he muttered. "I will find that dog and drag him back, and tear off his wings and his head myself."

Junior Physician Khetai saw to the embalming of Sergeant I'anen's body, in the rudimentary process they had adopted from the Kemeti; Ameni found he could provide a few details of use, as the Kana did not normally embalm their dead, instead tending to inter them in caves or rough-hewn tombs in the western cliffs to let the dry air mummify them naturally. This knowledge horrified the human--what if their bodies were to crumble to dust, or be consumed by some sort of wild creatures, instead? He accompanied Khetai for a time as he worked, Captain Nehekhi having granted him permission to do so, and learned that the Kana's beliefs were of a somewhat different nature from those of the Kemeti. Khetai did not seem to share his concerns.

"If they crumble to dust, then they crumble to dust," he said as he finished sewing up the incision he had made down I'anen's midsection. "If they are eaten by some creatures, then they are eaten. Whatever happens happens. It's nothing for us to lose sleep over."

"But the ka will have nowhere to return to if the body is destroyed," Ameni insisted, careful not to touch him or anything near the body, for fear of contamination.

"Why would the ka want to return?" Khetai gave him a pointed look. "We do not believe in wandering kas. Someone dies, and his spirit will either descend to Ameni, or become a ghost. And if you ask me, there is no such thing as a ghost. Only fools believe in those."

"The ka is not much different from your ghost, then," Ameni retorted. "Either way, it will wander about, without a body to house it. What do you do then? Do you not at least carve a statue to replace the body and give it a home to return to?"

Khetai gave a big sigh. He cut the heavy thread he had been using and trimmed the loose ends. I'anen looked merely as if he slept, aside from the ugly bruises upon his neck; Ameni felt sorry looking at him. He had been a handsome Kana. "From all I have heard, ghosts do not have any reason to try to return to their bodies. Why should they? And even if they did, why should we try to accommodate them? They belong in Amenti. I cannot even believe I am having this conversation, with a human, no less." And no amount of prodding would convince him to continue talking on the subject, although he did talk about their embalming process, when it was deemed fit to be used--such as at a time like this, when I'anen could not be immediately laid to rest--and how it was different from that of the Kemeti. What admittedly little Ameni knew of embalming seemed to fascinate him, and he echoed the human's comments several times, as if making mental notes; Ameni didn't doubt he was.

I'anen was interred in natron, and a messenger was sent back to the Shore Tribe to report his death. Tas'hukh refused to leave the Great Red Tribe, though he would not say why; Mahakhi and his Kana gave him odd looks but did not question. Perhaps he was still in too much shock over the death of his sergeant to be able to tell his family and tribe of what had happened. The messenger was sent off with word for Kana from the Shore Tribe to come to collect I'anen's body and return it to his household, and several days later a small group of Kana sent by I'anen's father arrived to take possession of him. The chest in which the young Kana's body had been placed was mounted upon a sledge, so he could be brought back without the embalming process being interrupted. Tas'hukh appeared as they were preparing the sledge, to give his testimony on what a skilled and courageous Kana I'anen had been, how he had been ready to achieve the rank of lieutenant third class before unfortunate events had ended his life, and what honor he should bring to his household, even in death. The Shore Tribe Kana gave him odd looks as he spoke, but did not interrupt; though one of them did ask how exactly this fate had befallen I'anen, in the first place. Mahakhi spoke then, stating with a straight face that a Kana prisoner, a great hulking brute much feared by the rest of the men, had broken loose of his cell, and had killed I'anen as the sergeant valiantly attempted to keep him from breaking within the household and threatening the general's Kana. Surely his family would recognize his honor, he said, if he had been willing enough to sacrifice his life for a tribe not even his own. Glances cast at Mahakhi's lieutenants caused them to nod and verify the account, Nehef and Ahai'ikh and Hiath'ikh adding short details of their own to support the story. The Shore Tribe Kana still did not look completely convinced, yet they took hold of the sledge, and departed from the Great Red Tribe anyway. Tas'hukh watched them from the top of the wall until they were far from sight, and even long after, and then retreated to his quarters and did not come back out for quite a while.

The scouts returned from the desert and the river a second time with no luck. Mahakhi ordered the search area expanded one last time. A messenger sent to one of the nearest neighboring tribes to the northwest resulted in a response that the scouts would be allowed into their territory to seek the fugitive, and that all available assistance would be granted them. The scouts once more departed.

Lieutenant Djuta stood atop the wall and watched the progress even more diligently than did Tas'hukh or Mahakhi, although he did not believe they would return with any news.

He did not know that he was wrong, simply not in the way he had expected.

* * * * *


The captains crowded the war room of the old general's household, a room which had not had any need of a meeting in a very long time. As such, they were all chattering amongst themselves and casting many curious looks long before Captain Sut'khut arrived, at which point all eyes focused on him. He waved his hand at a few who started to stand, and took the center of the floor, scanning the crowd.

"All are here?" he inquired.

"One or two could not make it," an older captain to the left said. "We may always pass word along to them, though."

Sut'khut frowned slightly but then shrugged. "Very well. Though I would hope they are not so inconvenienced in the future."

"What is this fuss all about?" somebody asked. There were a few questioning murmurs.

Sut'khut lifted his head so his lappets spread over his shoulders. "It is about something which we have greatly needed for a very long time, and now have the perfect reason to do. I speak of a raid--an important one, not one upon these piddling villages that have the gall to call themselves tribes."

"A raid?" More than a few faces looked hopeful, and Sut'khut took courage from that. "What is to set it apart from other raids lately, so that this meeting is necessitated?"

Sut'khut crossed his arms. "Merely that it is a raid of importance, and one certain to bring prestige to our name once again. Earlier today, I received a most strange guest, who had interesting information to impart to me. He arrived clothed most strangely--a Moru, masquerading as a Kana--yet what he had to share with me I find trustworthy enough to be of use." He paused to make certain they were all listening. "He gave me detailed information regarding the military and defenses of a tribe to the south, and I think it is high time we took it upon ourselves to attack, as it can only serve our best interests as the River Tribe. This is why I have called you all here--to ask that you join me, in organizing an attack upon this enemy."

"This tribe has a name?" somebody called out.

"It is the Great Red Tribe."

All eyes widened. Sut'khut didn't even have the chance to scowl before a handful of voices arose at once.

"The Great Red Tribe?"

"You do remember them, don't you, Brother? They beat your nose into the ground the LAST time!"

"You wish to get your tail whipped again--?"

Sut'khut bared his teeth and snarled, silencing most of the protests. "I did not get my tail whipped!" he snapped. "May I remind you that many of YOU were there also, and you ALL retreated! Merely because I was the one who remained behind, and retreated LAST, do you consider ME the loser of that fight--when the fact is, out of all of us, I remained and fought the LONGEST!"

They looked skeptical but didn't protest. "You sincerely believe," the older captain said, "that we are ready to face them again? What makes you believe this?"

Sut'khut snorted. "We were not in our best form during our last battle. We underestimated them, and paid the price. Now that we know their skills and strength, we may fight better. And the information this Moru gave me will greatly help as well. He says that at least for several days they should be slightly distracted dealing with some dead Kana he left behind, and some of their own numbers may be departed, searching for him. They will be looking for one escaped Moru, not expecting an entire tribe. He knows the skills of the most important of the general's men, and intends to take two of them out himself."

"Fully a third of our men have been gone away a long time, among them Captain Fe'kheru and many of his best fighters," the older captain commented. "Our tribe will not be at its best in their absence. And the Great Red Tribe is much bigger than it was the last time we fought, and lost."

"Seeing as the Great Red Tribe is still somewhat in its formative stages," Sut'khut replied, "that may work to our advantage as well. They have not yet had the chance or time to organize themselves thoroughly. And so although they may be in greater numbers than we, we are more focused, and have the element of surprise on our side. I have also been told they are somewhat complacent with their fortunate lot, and even if surprise were to be lost, they are likely so confident with themselves that they could underestimate us as we once did them. We already know the best route to take. All we need do is attack."

"Need I remind you of the general's order? That none assail the Great Red Tribe without his say? You would disobey your general now of all times?"

Sut'khut's fur prickled. The other captains turned toward the door, craning their necks. Captain Khanef stood there, arms crossed and ear pricked.

Sut'khut bared his teeth. "Take a look! Do you see him getting better any time soon?" He turned back to the other captains and spread his arms. "Brothers, I urge you to use your heads and not your hearts. Our general--life, strength, health!--is old, and his health grows weaker every day. His mind has grown faint, and he can no longer remember from one moment to the next. He is practically blind, and I honestly doubt he is any longer able to fly, much less raise himself from his bed."

"Yet he is not dead," Khanef said.

Sut'khut had to suppress a growl. "At this point, he may as well be!" He cringed when he noticed the disapproving looks upon the faces of the other captains, and turned to them again, his voice beseeching. "You of all people know how I love our general--am I not second only to him in this tribe? Yet he is old, and his time is rapidly approaching. Besides, if he were able to give his say--do you not believe he would fully endorse this plan? My only objective is to bring honor once more to the great River Tribe, before our light fades away forever." He paused, then quickly added, "And such a victory would be sweet music to our beloved general's ears, if we were to return to him in time--which I fully believe we would! Would you not like to grant him such an honor, before he passes on to Amenti?"

Khanef scowled. The rest of the captains glanced at each other and murmured, nodding slightly. Sut'khut's face lit up, and he dared to shoot Khanef a smug look; the younger captain flared his nostrils and leaned against the doorjamb, looking away. "Your honest thought," the older captain said, and Sut'khut turned to him once more, "is that he would agree to such an action, were he in his right mind? You do not say this merely to sway us in your favor?"

Sut'khut bowed his head. Gods, these old bats could be irritating. "I fully believe our general would agree to this plan. He is old now, yet there are those of us who remember him when he was in his prime. He was the greatest fighter of us all! He led the River Tribe to glory upon glory! A horrid shame it must be to him, to no longer be able to lead us. Our tribe falls apart; our Kana die of despair, rather than in honor, upon the battlefield. He will not be among us much longer. Please, Brothers; let us give him this one last victory, so that he may see our triumphant return with his own eyes!"

"I thought he was practically blind," Khanef cut in.

Sut'khut lowered his head and turned slowly to give him the most venomous glare he could muster, fists clenching. "You would wish to lead the charge?" he hissed between clenched teeth. "So that you may have the honor of swinging your sword around at random...?"

A few chuckles came from the other captains. A dark look crossed Khanef's face, but the older captain stood before he could speak.

"Lord Khanef," he said, and the other two looked up at him. "Your arm," he said, nodding at him. "How is it?"

Khanef blinked, then flushed a little and rubbed at his right arm. "It...it is healed, by now, Lord...though still weak..."

"Bah!" Sut'khut snorted aloud, flipping his lappets. "It will remain weak! Do not think you will regain proper use of it after such an injury, Brother. The physician said so himself!"

Khanef's ears went red and Sut'khut smirked at his embarrassment. "This is true?" the other captain asked, and Khanef ducked his head a little, as if not wishing to answer.

"There..." His voice came very quiet, and he coughed and raised it. "There is some permanent damage, Lord...I may still fight, yet not as well as before. I do not think I will wield the sword as I did in the past, unless I were to learn to do it with my other arm."

"Something which we do not have the time for!" Sut'khut interjected, the younger captain shooting him an evil look. Sut'khut flared his nostrils and crossed his arms. "I am sorry, Brother, but this looks like a matter upon which you have no say."

"Lord Khanef," the older captain said, drawing their attention once more. "You would object to remaining behind, to keep watch over the general and the tribe, in the army's absence?"

Khanef blinked, brow furrowing. "Lord--?"

"I believe you would serve the River Tribe best by remaining here," the other captain said. "The merchants and tradesmen, and the Moru, will all be left here, and as Sut'khut has said, our general is not in any condition to keep proper watch. We would leave a few trusted lieutenants with you, to patrol the wall and the general's household, yet you would remain to keep the order when we are away."

A grin started to work its way up Sut'khut's face. "But, Lord--" Khanef protested, taking a step forward. "Our tribe is in no condition to set out into battle! The men have not fought such a foe in ages--training would be needed. And we are down to two-thirds of our number! The Great Red Tribe is now over twice as big as they used to be!"

"We are aware of this," the other captain replied with a slow nod. "Yet I believe it is time we acted. Lord Sut'khut is right; our general is old, and cannot properly lead the army any longer. Yet a victory would be a decent way to let him die with honor. If you ask me, this Great Red Tribe is far too conceited and complacent for its own good; there was a time when we were once the terror of this land. It is time we were again."

"I am tired of always browsing the Moru market," another captain complained.

"I am tired of no offerings or tribute coming to our gates!" exclaimed another.

"And I am tired of not fighting!"

"I as well!"

"Third!"

They all started talking at once, moving their heads animatedly. Sut'khut's breast swelled at the sound of them. He wanted nothing more than to gloat over the defeated look on Khanef's face, yet knew it would not go over well with the others; so he satisfied himself with a smirk, flicking his tail from side to side. This feeling was almost as good as nesakh'ai with a tight little Moru.

"Khanef-Brother?" the older captain prompted over the din. "You will remain?"

Khanef scowled. His muzzle wrinkled and he put his arm to his breast and bobbed his head in the barest minimum of a salute. "Yes, Lord." Only Sut'khut heard him mutter as he turned away, "Remain while you all go off to get killed." He strode angrily from the room, not once looking back; Sut'khut's ear twitched. He wished the others would have heard the remark, so the younger Kana would be rebuked, but supposed it didn't really matter. He gave a gracious smile and a bow, instead.

"I thank you Lords, for your endorsement and encouragement. As I said already, we have only a few days in which to both prepare and set out, while they are most distracted. And so, I would recommend we prepare our weapons and rations for immediate departure. I myself will fill all in with the appropriate information, before we leave--and with the gods' blessing, we shall return victorious, and bring a world of honor upon our general!"

The other captains' voices all rose in agreement, and they raised their fists as if to shake their swords. Their shouting echoed all down the hallway, and into Khanef's ears; he closed his eyes briefly, and bowed his head as he walked away.

* * * * *


Khanef paced the entire length of each of the main hallways, around the entire household, just to cool himself off; then he paced out into the main court, and around the pool. His lappets swung as he walked, his strides forceful. His eyes burned with each step, and the breath came fast in his throat.

What sort of fools are they? Do they all want to get killed? The Great Red Tribe will eat us alive!

He forced himself to slow his step at the corner of the pool, taking a deep breath and letting it out. He stared at the tiled ground. The tiles had gone blood red in the sunset, and he found that the color just unsettled him all the more. He bit the inside of his mouth. Without even thinking about the motion, he rubbed his right forearm.

Why could it have not been my other arm...?

He had been there, fighting alongside the general, and Captain Sut'khut, and the rest...and though it had been vicious, at least they had escaped mostly unscathed, with relatively few casualties, for such a massive battle. Yet the loss had been devastating enough, considering that they had lost their position as the most feared tribe in the region, and in these times, such a loss was almost tantamount to death. All trade and relations with other tribes had ended with that battle, along with their own raids upon more important tribes. So far, their food stores were holding up well, but there were only so many smaller tribes they could attack...and he was surprised that it was not the Great Red Tribe which had called for a rematch, just yet. They could easily have bested them...

He rubbed his forearm as he stared at the shifting light upon the tiles. That had also been the day a sword slash to his arm had severed the muscle and tendons, rendering his own weapon useless. The physician had been skilled enough to reattach what he could, and Khanef could still swing a sword...but not with nearly as much skill as he had, before. And that had only been because of the training he'd made himself endure in the meantime. Perhaps one or two out of every ten swings, he would miss his mark, and once in a while he would drop his sword completely...he was not inept, but in battle, such clumsiness could mean death to an entire unit. The injury had not seemed so bad back then. He'd told himself he could easily live with staying home in the city, while the rest of the men went off to fight; protecting the civilians and Moru was not an ignoble job. But that had been before Sut'khut's plans.

He clenched his fist as tightly as he could, feeling the pull of the muscles in his arm, and it was not as tight a fist as he could have made before. Why could it have not been some other time...?

He sighed and sat down on the bench by the pool, rubbing at his arm a little more consciously now; it still hurt somewhat, from time to time. He stared at the water, brow furrowing as he thought.

If Fe'kheru were here...Sut'khut would not go acting on such silly ideas. Fe'kheru could almost always talk him out of such things. If our general were not so weak, he would never think to disobey him...if I hadn't been hurt, I could at least go along and make certain he does not do something even more foolish...if the rest of the men were still here...we might stand a chance...but without them...

He sighed once more and looked skyward, at the deepening shades of red and purple above him. They reflected on the water below, shimmering like blood.

Why must he get this plan now of all times...? If he goes, if they all go, then that is the death of our tribe...I will be the only one left.

He shivered at this thought, and dropped his head to look at the water. Footsteps came across the courtyard behind him and he stiffened, then turned his head to look. He relaxed slightly when he saw the familiar face approaching, and stood.

"Yekh'ef-Brother," he said, putting his arm to his breast; the older Kana saluted him in return, and then they clasped arms. Yekh'ef tilted his head to the side, red lappets swinging.

"You were hardly ever the pensive type, 'Nef, which is why it took me positively ages to find you out here."

"I didn't see you at the meeting," Khanef said.

Yekh'ef flared his nostrils a bit. "I could not make it. I was hoping a messenger would come from Meteri, but Fe'kheru must be working the poor boy too hard to send so much as one word to his father."

Khanef's mouth twitched in amusement. "And you are nothing more than a mother hen, thinking he'll be sending you messages. He's practically grown by now!"

Yekh'ef scoffed. "He's a pup! It was just yesterday I finally got him to stop suckling his thumb and wetting the bed..."

"That was perhaps ten or twelve years ago, I'll have you know, so I think your mind must be addled!" Khanef couldn't help it; he smiled at this, and Yekh'ef did the same. "Besides, you are the one who gave him permission to go, and then decided to stay here rather than babysit him. So you should not cry when he 'forgets' to occasionally check in with his father. All boys do this at some point; it is called 'growing up.'"

"It is called being an insolent pup," Yekh'ef said with a grin, "and he is as insolent as I ever could have wished him to be, just as I was at that age."

"Meteri is insolent. I am certain you must have been merely bratty." Yekh'ef laughed aloud at this, but the smile on Khanef's face faded. "Sut'khut called the meeting," he said, and the other captain's laughter died, his face growing serious. He gave a short nod.

"Yes, I heard. He's been having purple lappets on his mind again, from the sound of it."

"I would not actually mind if he were general. At least he would be able to lead us. But this..." Khanef looked troubled. "This, I do not like...he wishes for a return battle against the Great Red Tribe, something which we can hardly afford to dare."

"Fe'kheru and his men will fatten up the troops a bit," Yekh'ef said. "And I'm betting that months spent traveling will have taught them a few new skills to use."

Khanef shook his head. "He does not wish to wait for their return. He plans to set out immediately, within the next day or so in fact."

Yekh'ef blinked, then furrowed his brow in disbelief. "Without Fe'kheru--?" he exclaimed; when Khanef nodded he let out a huffing noise. "But--that is fully a third of our number! What sort of fool plan is this? Sut'khut may be hotheaded, but he has never been so senseless as this!"

The younger Kana shrugged. "As you said, he has purple lappets on his mind...he practically stated our general may as well be dead, and we are better off disobeying his orders. This would not be so bad. But the rest of them agreed with him. They are planning to set out as soon as they can."

Yekh'ef frowned and shook his head as if in thought. "I knew someday he would prove to be a trouble...I truly wish Fe'kheru had taken the chance to knock some sense into his brain. Perhaps a fist upside the head would have taught him humility."

"Among some other things. He dropped off Ikhi'et at my quarters. After begging and fawning all over her to be his mate. She told me herself." He made a face. "I have seen what he does to his mates. Ikhi' is smart. She let the right Kana pick her. Otherwise, he would probably have her upon her knees every other hour of the day. At least Fe'kheru knows how to treat his mates."

"This was a unanimous decision, then?" Yekh'ef inquired. "Regarding the rest of the tribe wishing such a battle, at such a time?"

Khanef nodded. "From what I could see, yes, it was. I tried to remind them of the general's order, but...they are tired of waiting...and the truth is so am I. Yet at least I myself would know better to wait for a more opportune time. Do you know! He actually claimed that since they are a new tribe, the Great Red Tribe is not such a threat to us! Never mind the fact that they are fresh, and ready for battle, and outnumber us perhaps three to one! Sut'khut may be an excellent fighter, and good to rally others, but logic has never been his strong suit." His wings slumped. "Perhaps you can talk with him...? He knows you and Fe'kheru are close, perhaps he would listen to you more...I'm simply an uppity pup, to him..."

Yekh'ef shook his head with an apologetic look. "I am sorry...I used to try to talk sense into him, but he has the head of a tree--thick and near impossible to penetrate. Fe'kheru could have tried, though even he was not listened to all the time, and he is not here now." Khanef brushed his lappets forward and prepared to walk away but Yekh'ef caught his elbow. "You are planning on staying behind, then--?"

A nod. "I am the only one willing, and apparently, the only one with any sense to do so! I cannot believe this tribe is so foolish. They will get killed, every last one of them. I do not know what to do."

Yekh'ef placed his hand on Khanef's shoulder. "Listen. Do as you feel you are best to do, and I will go with them to keep an eye on things." Khanef met his eyes and frowned. "In case Sut'khut comes up with something remarkably stupid, then perhaps I can reason it out to the rest. I cannot stop him, but perhaps I can sway the rest, or at least keep him distracted. Maybe they will be more inclined to listen to reason, when swords are being swung at their heads."

Khanef could tell it had been intended as a joke, but let out a sad sigh. Yekh'ef gave him a sympathetic look and he turned slightly, as if to walk away. "Would that stupid old 'Khut had had a father like you, and perhaps he would have turned out as well as Meteri," he grumbled. "Then this would not even be an issue."

"Gods." Yekh'ef let out a laugh. "I was just picturing Meteri as a general! Do not give me ideas. Besides, there were two seeds that fell from that tree, and only one of them turned out bad. You will fault the father so much--?"

"Yes, I will," Khanef replied. "For not cracking the seed that was Sut'khut."

Yekh'ef rolled his eyes and turned away with a wave. "You have always been poor with your metaphors. I will speak with what men I know I can trust. I do not believe I can sway an entire army. But I will convince them somehow to keep their eyes open. Go and have a good rest, Brother, for you will need it, babysitting an entire tribe."

Khanef watched him go. He felt an urge to yell out something, even if just a farewell, but did not. He bit the inside of his mouth as the older Kana disappeared from sight. An uneasiness settled over him, but he couldn't place it. He pondered over it until he realized it was a sense of impending doom, and this just confused him more.

Surely there will be many men lost...yet why am I to believe it will be total? Sut'khut may be stupid but he has always been an excellent warrior...if I cannot stop him, I should at least believe in him. And he is right; our tribe has been dying for months now. We have needed a change. If no one else is to lead it, why not him?

Still...if he would only just wait for Fe'kheru...


Khanef sighed. His head hurt from too much worrying and thinking, and he turned to go back into the household for the night. Only old Kana worried, and he was far from old. Still, he wished the rest of the tribe would worry just a little bit more.

* * * * *


Sut'khut paced back and forth throughout his quarters, retrieving his best sword, his best dagger, his best armor; he dug about until he found his cleanest, brightest pair of lappets, and his finest armor, and had to hold them all up and look at himself in his mirror before placing them in the chest in the corner of the room. At daybreak, he would change into them, to be ready for departure; he had already commanded that his best Sha be fed and groomed and placed in its finest bridle. His favorite Sha was a great beast with gleaming black fur, and already he imagined how he would look riding upon it into battle, the creature trailing red streamers which would whip in the wind just like his lappets, his sword so shiny one could see their reflection in it. He bared his teeth when he tried on his skullcap and lappets, remembering how Mahakhi had sliced up his last ones. Then he smiled and stroked them with his hand, admiring their gilt lettering. He'd had these ones made right after that battle, and had never worn them before. Until now.

"'Captain Elite Sut'khut,'" he murmured; then, "General Sut'khut." He grinned, liking the sound of it very much.

A loud snort made his ear flick. "General, General, General...as if THAT will make your life any easier!"

Sut'khut turned to glare at the Moru who sat at the other side of the room, hunched forward with his elbows on his knees. Bakh'asu had been in a foul temper ever since his return, and his mood was starting to make Sut'khut's own grow sour. "Have you any idea what it is truly like to be general?" Bakh'asu inquired; and when Sut'khut didn't respond, he said, "I will tell you. It is endlessly watching your back, day after day, lest somebody jab a knife into it. It is having to put up with whining simpering men who flatter you to your face and then speak filth about you as soon as you are gone. It is dying like a dog only for some other stupid upstart to steal your lappets off your corpse and toss your carcass over the wall, and start the whole damned process all over again!"

Sut'khut sneered. "And how is it that a Moru knows so much of how it is to be a general? Tell me this truthfully, mutt."

Bakh'asu scowled. "I know because I have observed long enough! It is always best to haul out of the army after reaching lieutenant. Nothing is worth the trouble beyond that. I was merely a sergeant first class, and take a look what became of me."

"This is because you could not learn your place," Sut'khut said; while informing him of the Great Red Tribe's defenses, and his reasons for being there, the big Moru had also not been too secretive about his own dealings with the Kana, and why exactly he had ended up as he had. "Stealing a captain's Moru out from underneath him is not good form!"

Bakh'asu wrinkled his muzzle. "Heed your own advice!" When Sut'khut gave him a venomous stare he shrugged. "Word travels around this household, too!"

The captain snarled at him, and took satisfaction in how the big Moru cringed back just a little. "You'd do best to learn how to hold your tongue, mutt! We HARDLY compare! And the next time you insinuate that, I will do such things to your wings that what they look like now will seem like heaven!"

Bakh'asu made a spitting noise. Sut'khut turned back to the mirror and smoothed down his lappets, lifting his head high. "While you are here," he said, admiring his reflection, "you should at least make yourself useful! Get me my pectoral from that red box in the far corner."

"Pectoral?" Bakh'asu spat. "Is this a war or a DINNER PARTY?" He pushed himself up and stormed to the box, yanking the necklace out and stomping back to the captain. Sut'khut took it from him before he could hurl it, and held it up to his neck. He smiled.

"This one will look just perfect on me...when I am gouging Mahakhi's eyes out!" Behind him, in the mirror, he saw Bakh'asu's own eyes light up, and jerked his head to the side. "The brown box, in the other corner. I could only guess at your measurements, so it may be a little off. You will find some proper armor there, unlike those rags you are currently wearing."

The Moru's ears pricked and he hurried to the other box and flung it open. He pulled out the new armor and kilt and sandals with glee, like a child opening a present. Sut'khut rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to his own reflection, touching his ears and wondering if it would be worth it to wear earrings into the battle. They would glimmer, and gleam, and look so nice upon him...yet what if somebody tugged on one? "If you can keep from wetting yourself until tomorrow, then you will also be provided with a short sword and a dagger with which to kill off this Tas'hukh and Djuta who bother you so much. Keep in mind, however, that should you even dare to turn these upon one of the River Tribe, your head will be separated from your shoulders before you can even blink."

"I have no interest in any of your men!" Bakh'asu retorted, holding up his new armor and running a hand down it in admiration. "Tas'hukh and that lapdog of his are the only ones whose blood I wish to spill--though I would hardly mind it if I dirtied my sword on Mahakhi, either!"

"Mahakhi is MY responsibility," Sut'khut snapped, baring his teeth at his reflection. "Lay your sword upon him and you are dead!"

Bakh'asu grumbled noncommittally, poking through the chest. Sut'khut stood as tall as he could, making the face he wished to be wearing as soon as he and Mahakhi met upon the field. He almost ruined it by smiling, he looked so impressive. "And since this is our last night," he murmured, straightening his lappets yet again, "I thought a little something might be nice, before bed...nothing too strenuous, seeing as we have a long day ahead, but just enough to keep invigorated, and to tide us over until after the battle, when we are sure to be returning full of need..."

Sut'khut's eyes grew wide, and then goggled. His fur bristled; Bakh'asu's hand ran up his kilt and over his buttock, then slipped around in front and inside his loincloth to cup at his sheath. The big Moru pressed himself close to the captain's back, smirking at him and caressing his testicles. "This sounds like a decent idea," he said. "Do you prefer hakh'tua, or hakh'tehi--? I can both give, and receive--it doesn't really matter which..."

Sut'khut started quaking, his face flushing brilliant red and his fists clenching at his sides, his teeth grinding hard enough to hurt. A second later he whirled around and slammed his fist into Bakh'asu's face, sending the Moru flying backwards; he landed on his elbows with a pained grunt, teeth bared in surprise. Sut'khut stormed toward him as he started to push himself up, rubbing at his already swollen cheek, and Bakh'asu gasped when the captain stooped down and grabbed hold of him by the front of his armor. Bakh'asu's eyes went wide; Sut'khut's were absolutely livid.

"IF YOU EVER TRY THAT AGAIN, MORU, I WILL RIP OFF YOUR BALLS AND SHOVE THEM DOWN YOUR THROAT UNTIL YOU CHOKE ON THEM!!"

Bakh'asu managed to put up his hands, grimacing and cringing. Sut'khut let go of him and gave a hard push so he hit the floor again. He lay there quavering while the Kana flashed his tusks and whipped around, storming back toward the chest to hurl his pectoral into it. He gave the Moru a look that was pure poison, and Bakh'asu didn't even try to get up.

"I didn't mean US, you stupid stinking Sha's ASS! I meant a FEMALE for me, and WHATEVER the hells it is for YOU! Though now I am HARDLY inclined to offer you ANYTHING!"

Bakh'asu pushed himself over onto his side, holding up one hand and still cringing. "I--I didn't mean any offense by it, truly, Lord! I--I thought only--"

"Oh SHUT UP!" Sut'khut snarled, making him wince. "I do not care what you THINK! Because you think WRONG!" He slammed the chest and knocked the mirror out of the way, just for spite. "You will be staying here until daybreak, when, if you are not ready, I will whip your tail myself! I will be returning when I am FINISHED!" He turned to the doorway now, wishing the mirror were not askew so he could check his lappets, before storming toward it.

"But, Lord--!" Bakh'asu begged, clambering clumsily to his knees and clasping his hands together. "You--you cannot send me into battle without at least one more little taste! Please! I'll take anything! Even--even that fat female from before, or something else! Don't make me go without!"

Sut'khut bared his teeth at him. "By now--I think you seriously SHOULD try going without!" he snapped, before yanking open the door and stomping outside, slamming it behind him and not even caring what the Moru might do to his rooms in his absence.

* * * * *


Sut'khut stormed his way down the hall, back in the direction of the Moru quarters. He had been in a decent mood, but the big Moru's actions had thoroughly ruined that. The nerve of the brute, laying hands on him! Like he was some sort of dirty sen'akhai! Sut'khut had never been interested in males in his life, and even if he had been, he was certain he would be even less interested, now.

He threw open the door to the Moru quarters and glanced about angrily. The reaction was much the same only this time it annoyed him for some reason, that the females should either glare at him or cower in their corners; why did they always react to him like that? They should have felt honored to receive the attentions of a Kana such as himself. He stepped into the room and looked from one to another. He spotted the pregnant female he'd enjoyed earlier--a guard had delivered her back to the Moru quarters once Bakh'asu was finished--and even she paled and crept back behind her mate, as if he would not see her. Sut'khut glared at her mate, but he merely ducked his head, a dark bruise encircling one of his eyes. The captain snorted. He did not even have the decency to put up a fight.

He wandered further into the room and spotted the general's mate once more, curled up against the far wall, and had to pause and look at her in curiosity. He still saw no pup accompanying her; the way she glanced at him, then covered her face with her hands, told him what must have happened. He frowned in irritation, then decided he did not care. The general would be dead himself, soon; it was best to get a clean start. A new pup would have been a nuisance anyway; perhaps he would be able to get her with child himself, now.

He flicked his ear and approached her, only to hear a soft hissing sound from just to her side. He paused and glanced down in surprise to notice a second Moru seated beside the female, and a twinge of displeasure crossed his face as soon as he recognized her.

This Moru was much younger than the general's mate, probably in her fifteenth or sixteenth year; the prime mating age for females, and he could tell from her slender yet sturdy form that she would have been an excellent bearer of pups; she was no fat blubbering whore like some Moru were, nor was she so scrawny and wasted away that a pup would kill her. Sut'khut had always admired sturdy females, and he'd had his eye on her for quite a while. He had even gotten hakh'tua from her several times in the past, and she had an exquisite mouth; he had never felt such a wonderful tongue as hers. Yet he had never mated with her, and by now, he did not think he would. He had planned to, the last time they were together, yet she had managed to dampen his mood then just as Ikhi'et had done.

"Found yourself a little hobby, have you?" he muttered at her when she glared at him defiantly from the floor. "Anything to be useful, eh?"

She stared at him for a moment before baring her teeth--and grinning. She clicked them together a few times as if biting something, and Sut'khut's ears flared in shock. He even took a step back from her, before gathering himself and wrinkling his muzzle in disgust.

"As if I had any plans for an impudent little slut like you!" he hissed. "If you ever try that again I will yank every one of your teeth out by hand!"

She just smiled and ran her tongue over her teeth. Sut'khut could barely keep himself from grimacing at the memory of those neat little teeth clamping onto him at the worst possible time. Such a vulgar Moru! He would have loved teaching her how to respect the Kana, if only she would not likely end up castrating him in the process. By now he even suspected her nether opening was lined with sharp teeth, itself. He sidestepped her and reached down to grasp the general's mate by the arm, pulling her up. She let out a cry of protest and instantly the younger female shot to her feet.

Sut'khut pulled the general's mate toward him; she stumbled and fell against his chest. He put his hand on the dagger at his side when the younger female took a step toward him, her ears flared threateningly.

"Do not even think of trying anything, little whore! Since your company is so poisonous I'll just preoccupy myself with her! She knows how to keep her place, unlike you!"

The general's mate let out a soft sound like a whimper. Sut'khut started to turn back to the doorway. He saw how the rest of the slaves stared at him; then their eyes all went wide at once. At that same moment he heard a strange noise coming from behind him and turned back just in time to see the younger female launching herself at him with a strangled shriek. He flared his nostrils and pulled his hand away from his dagger, balling it into a fist and punching her in the face instead. She halted and dropped instantly with a small pained noise, landing on her knees and elbows; she crouched there, shaking her head dizzily and reaching up to rub at her cheek as the captain snorted in amusement and turned away from her again.

"Take a look, that's the perfect position for you--on hands and knees! You'll just have to wait until I get back from the raid. Then maybe I will teach you a little thing or two about how a Moru is supposed to act!"

He tugged on the older female's arm and she stumbled along with him toward the door. The hissing noise came again and this time several Moru around him quickly scurried out of the way. Sut'khut could hear the other female scrabbling to her feet and running after him, and this time he sighed and reached for his dagger. Such a waste; she would have made a decent mate, and pup-bearer, if only she would learn her place. But he hardly had any use for a feral little witch like that.

She raised her voice as she came running up behind him, and he pulled his dagger free, turning his head. At that moment something pressed against his stomach, and he blinked in surprise when the general's mate ducked in front of him, clasping onto his waist. "No!" she yelled--but she yelled it at the other female, not at him, and even spread her arm out as if to protect him from attack. Sut'khut stared at her in disbelief, then glanced up at the younger female, who skidded to a halt just a few paces away. The younger female blinked in confusion also; her arms had been raised, yet the only weapons she had were her tiny fists. She stared at the older female and her brow furrowed.

"Kha'kaat-Moru...?" she said in a dazed voice.

Sut'khut looked down at the older female again. She drew herself close to him, wincing slightly, and gave her head a sharp shake. She still clung to his waist, breathing hard; his ear flicked and a grin slowly came to his face. She gasped when he took hold of her arm again, but she relaxed as soon as he slipped his dagger back into its sheath. She let him hold her upright, and he smiled at the younger female as he clasped her to his side.

"Well...it looks like you'll live a little longer, Moru brat. Thank your friend here that I am in such a forgiving mood today; and get yourself ready for whenever I should return. I still have a little something to teach you then." He winked and clutched at his groin suggestively; the younger female flushed and averted her eyes, lip curling back in disgust. He noticed the two females' eyes meet just briefly as he turned away once more, then he led Kha'kaat from the room, the older female leaning on his arm to keep her balance as they walked. He looked over his shoulder as he left the quarters and liked how the other female still stood, looking completely lost, before the door shut behind them. Then he heard the general's mate let out her breath; she sucked it in again when he touched her arm.

"A smart move on your part, pretty one; though I doubt she deserved it. I hope you are in the mood for hakh'tua, and that you are as good at it as you were last time."

Kha'kaat let out her breath once more. "To...to give hakh'tua, Lord...anything Lord wishes."

Sut'khut's smile grew. Finally, the day was getting a little better again. He guided her into one of the lesser-used hallways and toward an area set back in the wall, somewhat out of view from the main hall itself; he was not normally one for doing such things in public, yet his quarters were currently in use, and he did not feel like searching about for some more convenient place, just now. He stopped and leaned against a column, pulling up his kilt and removing his loincloth; he waved at her and she obediently got to her knees, although she made an awful face while doing so, having to hold onto her still-swollen belly as she made her way to the floor. Sut'khut stroked his sheath, panting softly, as she crept toward him, and let her take over the fondling when she reached him, her clammy fingers running up and down. He let his eyes drift shut as his penis started to rise.

"That's...that's it. Ah...just like that. I have to wonder...if you ever made that old bat nearly so happy...or if he was ever even conscious enough to enjoy it properly." He let out a shaky breath. "Come along, that's enough...use your tongue now."

She pushed herself up a little and took him in her mouth, her hands on his buttocks as she swirled her tongue. Sut'khut sighed. She wasn't as good as the younger girl was, but right now, she would do just fine. He tilted his head against the column and lightly grasped her head, shifting himself to push slightly into her mouth. She flicked her tongue into the hole in his tip and he shuddered; he loved when females did that. Far too few of them even bothered.

"That's it...that's a good Moru." He guided her head and rocked slowly back and forth. All the while, visions of leading the army into battle against the Great Red Tribe stormed through his head, and he smiled. It had been so long since a decent battle...one worth his time! And without the general and Fe'kheru there to steal the attention from him, he would be the most magnificent Kana upon the field. He shivered in delight as he moved, panting heavily and caressing Kha'kaat's ears.

Finally! Our day has finally come! After so long wallowing in our own despair...forced to sit and do nothing...we shall take back our honor! I cannot believe the day has come at last! And when we return--I will have myself a shining set of purple lappets to adorn me--everyone will call me "General"...all in the land will fear me! We will be invincible! The Great River Tribe!

"Great River Tribe," he whispered huskily, pushing into the Moru's mouth. He smiled in rapture at the sound of the name. "The Great River Tribe...I like the sound of this...do you, pretty one...?"

He tightened and grunted, relief washing over him as he spurted in her throat. Kha'kaat winced slightly but swallowed, pulling away and wiping her mouth. She lowered her head, still stroking his thighs. "Y...yes, Lord," she murmured, although he felt she hadn't really understood what he'd been asking. "To like sound of this."

Sut'khut sighed and brought his head forward to look down at her. He caressed her cheek; she didn't meet his eyes, but kept her place. If only all Moru were as she was, then he would not have to try so hard to figure out what they wanted. If only Ikhi'et were so docile, or if only Kha'kaat were as young as that other one...

He scratched her ear. "Go ahead, put your tongue to use," he said, and looked hazily up at the ceiling as she licked at his sac, nuzzling between his legs. He ran his fingers over her head.

"I had not even considered what to do once we all return," he panted, frowning a bit. "Things will have changed so much. You, for one, will no longer have a mate...I would take you myself...though I think your pup-bearing days are past." She shut her eyes, but he didn't notice. "Still...if you remember your place, then I might keep you for myself...and not let those other dogs dirty you. Fe'kheru is another story...if he does not return soon, I will just have to assume he has defected from the tribe...he and that brat of Yekh'ef's, and all the rest...thank the gods that Yekh'ef and his other son have more sense than that whelp...he is not missed. Once the right amount of time has passed, I will take Ikhi'et as my own as well...she could stand to be a bit younger...but it is not a total loss...if only I could tame that temper of hers." He let out a shaky breath, Kha'kaat's tongue tracing wet lines over his swelling sheath. "Then again...remember how you were, when first I took you, pretty one...? You fought me, and hard, but you learned your place...perhaps it will be so with her...if I am only patient enough...perhaps once, perhaps two times, and she will be broken...if I can work up the nerve..." He gritted his teeth, the thought of subduing Ikhi'et both arousing and shaming him at the same time. A hot feeling rose in his breast and he growled angrily.

The stupid little bitch...what does she see in him, a master who leaves her, and never comes back? How can she go without for so many months? If she were mine I would ALWAYS keep her in my bed! Every night, every morning, I would pleasure her, again and again! She would not be forced to sleep alone or to rub herself when in need! I bet she is giving herself to that dolt Khanef at this moment! Why can she not give herself to me? What is so wrong that she cannot lie with ME--?

"Ikhi'et," he panted huskily, and an image of her--the female looking at him with heavy-lidded eyes, her mouth open just enough to show her pink tongue, her buttocks parted to reveal her pink wet lips and the soft fur ringing them--flashed in his head, making him groan aloud. He slid from his sheath, panting quickly, and pulled Kha'kaat's head away from his crotch, the female darting a confused look up at him. He dropped his head forward again, shaking with lust, and fanned his wings.

"The ungrateful...whore," he gasped, teeth bared. "When I come back...I'll teach her a lesson too...just like that little upstart in the Moru quarters...I'll teach her her place...promise or no promise...Fe'kheru is never coming back." He gripped Kha'kaat's head and she whined. "She'll learn...I'll teach her her place," Sut'khut muttered under his breath, his glazed eyes burning, and with this vow he pushed himself away from the column and pressed on Kha'kaat's shoulder, his tail flicking fast.

Kha'kaat recognized the gesture, from having him do it to her many times before, and lowered her head miserably, turning and getting onto her hands and knees. She lifted her tail for him without protest when he dropped to his knees behind her, hastily fumbling to pull his kilt back up. He moved into position, his breath thick and fast, and ran his hands over her hips.

"If only they were all good Moru, like you," he panted. "And knew their place. If only everyone knew their place...then there would not be so much damned trouble for me." He spread the female's buttocks and she arched her back as best she could; Sut'khut mounted her abruptly, his thick shaft sliding easily up inside her, as she was still slick and distended from her childbirth. He let out a guttural groan, wishing she were tighter, even as he enjoyed her wetness and the way she whimpered and shook beneath him; he stroked her belly, which was now softer than it was before, and panted heavily over her neck.

"Poor luck," he whispered thickly, rubbing up and down. "But for the best, pretty one...that general is as good as dead...when you are ripe again I will get you with a real Kana's pup...best start now, while we can..." And he clutched her thighs and thrust into her, loving the pained cry she bit off, and wishing that every Moru was a good Moru like she was. They knelt rocking to and fro in the middle of the hallway for a short time, as he could not keep his heaving thrusts from getting faster; eventually he found her slackness frustrated him, and had to draw himself out, shuddering with need. Kha'kaat laid her head against the floor, eyes shut tight and tears streaming down her face; Sut'khut used his thumbs to spread open her anus, and pushed his wet tip against it. It tightened, and the female shook harder, but this just pleased him more. He clutched her and drew her to him as he urged himself inside the tight opening, a high, muffled squeal escaping her throat, her belly quivering in pain. Sut'khut stopped and let out his breath only once he was fully within her, and took that brief moment to run his hands up and down her backside, gasping at the air.

"Yes," he panted, his own buttocks quivering, "such a good Moru...they will all be good Moru...when I am done with them...once I am general..."

And Captain Sut'khut gripped the female's hips, and jerked, and grunted, and did not even mind that Kha'kaat's screams echoed down the hallway for the entire half hour that he lurched and jammed himself inside her in lustful abandon.

* * * * *


The Kana sergeant stealthily stole across the cracked desert sands, keeping his head low. He darted glances in every direction as he scurried like some furtive jackal after its prey; yet nothing threatening appeared, in any direction. Every so often he stopped and ducked down behind a rock or a stunted tree, to rest for but a second before continuing on his way. He had spotted scouts earlier, yet they had not even seen him. They'd been headed in the wrong direction. He had watched them easily, not fearing being caught, as they went on their way. Then he had moved on to his own mission. There would be time for gloating later.

He spent his days flying out of sight over the western cliffs, or over the trees beside the river, obscured from the sight of most Kana who preferred to dwell between the two extremes; and his nights he spent sometimes flying, sometimes jogging, without taking any sleep, so the progress he made was better than that of the tribe to follow behind him. He would reach the Great Red Tribe before the River Tribe did, make certain of their unprepared state, and then report back, all before the attack was even known of yet. The last time, they had warned their enemy in advance. Captain Sut'khut had ordered them to depart in stealth, with only the one scout to check the way. Most Kana armies sent out at least a handful of scouts, and it was too easy for one to be captured or killed and to give the entire thing away. Yet Sut'khut was a good strategist, and this mistake would not be made a second time. Their arrival would be purely by surprise.

The scout jumped out from behind the boulder he had sought as shelter, and jogged a short way across open desert. He ducked behind a bush, waited, then shot out again. His feet made not a single sound against the baked earth. He dropped to his knees and flared his ears, listening, yet there was nothing to be heard but the night sounds of the desert. He ran several more paces, then ducked. The trickling noises of the river came faintly to his ears, but nothing else. He paused, then ran; then ducked. Listened and waited. Peered out, then sniffed at the air; then put his hand out to push himself off at a run again.

CRACK. The scout grunted and dropped to the ground like a sack of stones. Lieutenant Nehef hastily brushed a drop of urine from himself, fumbling to tie his loincloth back on. He bared his teeth at the unconscious scout, ears flicking in disbelief.

"I cannot believe it! The ONE time I walk off to take a piss, and he practically stumbles over me! Why didn't he just step up and shake my cock and say hello while he was at it!"

He brushed down his kilt and jogged toward the river a few paces--"Hsst! Hey! Over here!"--then back to the scout, having to keep himself from fidgeting. Two more Kana appeared, jogging from their makeshift camp; Resikh and Hiath'ikh both wielded their swords, tense looks upon their faces. Nehef made a face at them and waved in irritation.

"I already conked him out! All I need is for YOU two to help me drag him back!"

The others stopped and peered down at the unconscious Kana. Hiath'ikh scowled and Resikh blinked. "Fool! That's not him! You've gotten the wrong damned person!"

"What--?" Nehef frowned and looked down at the sergeant. He scratched at his head in dismay. "But he practically came out and grabbed me by the balls! You mean I nearly get killed taking a piss and it isn't even that stupid mutt we're looking for--? Who did I just knock out--?"

"I do not recognize him." Resikh stooped down and rolled the Kana over, brushing at his lappets. "He doesn't look at all like Bakh'asu. His wings aren't even mangled, and he's got to be less than half his size."

Nehef groaned. "Mahakhi will flay me alive if this is all we have to drag back with us! Quick, do you think you can slash his wings, and maybe fool him--? I was not even cut out for scout duty; everyone knows I am far too soft and lazy for such things!"

"Be thankful you didn't kill him!" Hiath'ikh snapped, when Resikh waved at them to be silent. They both peered down at him curiously when he lifted one of the scout's lappets, examining it in the moonlight.

"What is it?" Nehef asked.

"His tribe." Resikh frowned slightly. "He is from the River Tribe," he said, and the other two lieutenants blinked, looked at each other, then looked down at the scout again.

Nehef made a disgusted noise. "The River Tribe--? THOSE mutts again--? What would they have with a Kana out here, of all places--?"

"I do not like this," Hiath'ikh murmured, his face growing tense.

Nehef scoffed. "Oh, do not even worry about it; it's one piddling little Kana. And I didn't kill him. He probably got lost in the wind and had the misfortune to stumble upon me while I was pissing..."

"He's a scout," Resikh said, which succeeded in silencing them. He poked through the Kana's clothing, found nothing, and rolled him onto his side. The sergeant's armor was light, and he carried nothing but a waterskin, sword, and dagger; he did not even wear a pectoral or jewelry, aside from his earrings. Even his kilt was shorter and tighter than usual, and his sandals more closely bound to his feet as well, the better to make him light and streamlined. "He's been traveling some time now, from the looks of it."

"Which direction was he coming from?" Hiath'ikh asked.

Nehef furrowed his brow. "I...I do not know! North, I think...yes...yes, I was facing south, just over there. And he came up right behind and beside me, so it must have been north..."

Hiath'ikh bared his teeth. "I do not like this," he echoed himself, shifting from foot to foot.

"Hush up," Nehef snapped at him. Resikh finished inspecting the unconscious Kana before rising and dusting his hands. "Well? Does he have anything on him?"

Resikh shook his head. "Nothing. Not even a note. So he was likely traveling only for reconnaissance."

Nehef frowned. "Why would the River Tribe be sending out scouts, now of all times? We whipped their tails and they have been under their rock ever since."

A soft patting sound came from the other direction and their heads whirled around. A shadowy figure came forward and looked down at the unconscious scout. Djuta's face betrayed no emotion.

"I told Mahakhi, Bakh'asu's flight was not a means of escape," he said quietly. "He had other things in mind."

The others stared at him in puzzlement. "What does this have to do with Bakh'asu...?" Nehef started to ask, before noticing the looks that came to the other lieutenants' faces. "What? What is it?"

"You think..." Hiath'ikh trailed off uneasily. Resikh didn't say anything.

Nehef's frown grew, then he flung up his hands. "What? You think that Bakh'asu mutt has something to do with the River Tribe--?" He paused, then lowered his hands. "Oh." Then his ears twitched and he looked tensely over his shoulder, as if to see something there.

"We're not safe here," Resikh spoke up suddenly, bending down and grabbing hold of the scout's arms. "'Thikh, 'Hef, try to locate the other scouts Mahakhi sent out, and call them back to the tribe. We will take him back with us and see if he won't answer any questions."

Nehef didn't even bother arguing. He nodded briefly, stretched his wings, and pushed himself up into the air. Hiath'ikh cast the other two an anxious glance before following suit and flying away in the other direction. Djuta stood staring up into the sky for a moment before Resikh nudged him to get his attention.

"Help me with him, will you?" he asked; Djuta grasped hold of the scout's legs, and they carried the unconscious Kana across the desert in silence, the darkness closing in around them.


Continue:

"Part 29: Combat


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2004 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/911524-Lost-Chapter-3--Persuasion