*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919299-A-Bush-Christmas
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Emotional · #919299
A contest entry. A story about a Summer Christmas as it could happen
A Bush Christmas

George opened the oven door and checked the mince tarts, instantly the small kitchen was filled with delicious aromas of cooked pastry. He retracted the tray of tarts and placed them on the cooling rack, then reached for the next batch to be baked.

A sharp rap on the front door interrupted him.

‘Hang on, I’m in the kitchen,’ he shouted.

‘No worries,’ the visitor replied.

“Oh, it’s you Sergeant,’ George said, recognizing Sergeant Murphy’s voice. ‘Come on through, the doors not locked.’

‘Gosh George, there should be a law against this,’ the Sergeant said with a laugh, as he pushed his large frame through the doorway to the kitchen.

“What do you mean?’ George asked, somewhat puzzled.

‘You can smell your delicious cooking halfway down the street,’ he replied, pulling out a chair to sit. ‘You do realise that half your neighbours are hanging over the fence with drooling tongues, and all because of your cooking.’ He replied, as he sat.

Ha ha ha, George laughed, as he took two glasses and a decanter of iced water from the refrigerator. ‘You want a cold drink?’ he asked, as he placed them on the table.

‘Boy I wouldn’t say no to that George,’ he replied, as he wiped his brow. ‘It’s a bit of a scorcher out there in that 40 degree heat.

‘We’ve had an early start to the summer heat this year,’ George said, as he passed the sergeant his drink. ‘You want to try a mince tart?’ he added, pushing a plate forwards.

‘Thanks George, You sure know the way to a man’s heart,’ the Sergeant said, with a laugh. ‘How come you’re cooking on a day like today?’ he asked, biting into the fresh pastry.

‘It’s going to be a special Christmas for me this year Sergeant. My brother whom I‘ve not seen for fifteen years, arrives from England tomorrow so I decided to make it a big affair, like my Millie would have, if she were still alive.’

‘Oh, but… the sergeant started to reply but was cut short by George’s excitement.

‘I’ve already made the cake, he said, as he stood and opened a cupboard. ‘This has been curing for a month, George said, as he placed a large package on the table and un-wrapped it.

‘Gosh George that’s magnificent,’ the Sergeant said in awe. The aroma of rum and fruit filled his nostrils, as he looked down on the large cake, covered in almonds and baked to a golden brown. ‘You could win a Betty Sydney bake off with that.’ He laughed.

George ignored the compliment and pointing to the large cheesecloth covered ball hanging from the kitchen ceiling, said, ‘There hangs a traditional suet pudding, curing nicely and should be ready for Christmas day.’

‘Do you always cook like this, George?’ Sergeant Murphy asked, as George opened the oven and removed the final tray of mince tarts.

‘I used to when Millie was here to enjoy it,’ he said, closing the oven. ‘But I haven’t cooked in the past three years. Lets face It, It’s too bloody hot to cook in this summer heat,’ he said with a laugh. ‘I hope my brother appreciates what I am doing for him’, he added with another laugh.

‘Oh yeah George, about your brother,’ the Sergeant began. “I’m afraid I have some bad news mate,’ he said, rising from the table.

‘What is it?’ George asked, with a quiver in his voice. ‘Don’t dally, give me the news.’

‘Well George,’ The Sergeant hesitated. ‘I’ve had a call from England and unfortunately your brother has suffered a heart attack and is not expected to live more than a few days.’

George gasped and held the table tight. The blood drained from his face as his body shook.

Sergeant Murphy quickly grabbed a chair and helped him sit. ‘You okay George?’ he asked timidly. The sergeant hated to deliver bad news and his usually loud bravado quickly disappeared.

‘Yes thank you. Did they say which hospital he was in?’ George asked.

‘Yes, I have the number at the station if you’d like to, you can call from there.

Before George could answer, the quiet afternoon was disturbed by the high pitched wailing of sirens.

‘That’s the bushfire alarm,’ George said, as he stood.

‘Damn! That means I have to race. Are you coming with me to make that call?’ the Sergeant asked, as he reached for his cap.

‘Right behind you,’ George replied, as he closed the door, putting his disappointment and bad news aside. He knew how serious things were when the bushfire sirens were activated.

A dark brown haze had begun to cover the small town as the Sergeant stopped outside the Police station. ‘My wife knows where the number is George, she will help you,’ he said, as George quickly climbed from the Landrover.

‘It looks like Bracken Ridge is well and truly alight,’ George said, as the strong smell of burning bush blew over the town and the acrid smoke stung the eyes.

‘Yes, and that means the timber cutters are right in its path. Could you ask my wife to contact Regional Command and advise them I will need urgent back up? There are families out there that will need evacuating.’ He added as he began to drive away.

‘No worries,’ George called, as he watched the Sergeant speed away.

Mrs. Murphy met George at the door and he passed on the Sergeants instructions. When she had finished, she helped him place a call to the hospital in England and after a bit of messing around, George finally got to talk to a Doctor.

‘I’m George Wilson and I am calling from Australia,’ George yelled into the phone.

‘You don’t have to yell George,’ Mrs. Wilson said. ‘They can hear you clearly,’ she added with a smile.

“Yes I’m here,’ George said. ‘I want to know how my brother Charles Wilson is. He was admitted with a heart attack.’

Mrs. Murphy stood watching as George nodded and uttered, ‘Ugh ugh, Ugh ugh.’

Mrs. Murphy was a little anxious, as she listened to the one way conversation.

‘Ugh ugh, so he didn’t last the night.’ She heard George mumble into the phone.

‘His local church has made the arrangements, okay then. If they need any money tell them to contact me.’ George said, as he leaned heavily against the table.

He gave them his address and hung up the phone.

‘Are you alright George?’ Mrs. Murphy asked.

‘Yes,’ he replied despondently, as he turned and left.

Mrs. Murphy stood at the steps of the Police station and watched George as he ambled toward the towns centre. She felt a pang of guilt that she couldn’t go after him but it was important that she not leave the station until the back up officers arrived.

George swiftly disappeared from sight. The cloud of smoke covering the town grew darker and the smell of burning bush was sickening. She looked toward Bracken Ridge and seeing the skies extremely black, she felt anxious for her husband and the fire fighters in the area. The ringing of the telephone took her quickly inside.

George couldn’t help but notice the colour of the skies out Bracken Ridge way. He felt for the men and women who would be frantically fighting to save the timber cutters homes and maybe this very township, if the wind changed. He longed to be out there helping, but at seventy, he was not agile enough to keep up with the younger ones, so he headed to the Country Women’s Hall. He knew that they would be making tea and sandwiches and he would use his knowledge to help deliver them to the volunteer fire fighters on the front line.

George reached for a bandanna, as he entered the hall. He would use it to cover his face and help shield him from inhaling the thick smoke, when he was close to the fires. He noticed urns of hot tea and trays of sandwiches were ready to be loaded into vehicles and headed over to help with the loading of Madge Fisher’s four wheel drive.

‘Glad to see you’re here George,’ Madge said, as she lifted trays into the back.

‘Couldn’t miss this show Madge,’ he replied, as he lifted an urn into the vehicle and packed bottles of cold water into some boxes.

‘You up to driving’ Madge asked, as she climbed into the passengers’ side.

‘Buckle up me dear, Sterling Moss is here,’ George replied, with a laugh, as he climbed behind the wheel and headed toward Bracken Ridge.

George’s previous fire fighting experience and bushman skills helped him negotiate the treacherous bush tracks. They traversed a gully and the billowing smoke from below forced them to stop.

‘Here,’ George said, as he passed a bottle of water to Madge. ‘Wet your bandanna and tie it so it covers your nose like this, he added, as he demonstrated to her.

She quickly did as George told her and as they looked at each other, Madge began to laugh. ‘We look like a pair of Bushrangers’. She said, laughing loudly.

George cautiously continued through the thick smoke and soon reached the command post that Sergeant Murphy had set up. H e and Madge pulled into the clearing and the team of resting fire fighters gave a loud cheer.

They soon had the tea and sandwiches set out and men and women, their faces covered with bandanas and their bodies covered in sweat and soot, stepped forward to eat.

They did look like a band of Bushrangers George thought, as he quickly handed out the tucker.

‘Was my wife able to call for back up,’ Sergeant Murphy asked, interrupting his thoughts.

‘Yes’ George told him, as he passed him his tea. ‘How are things here Sergeant?’ he asked. Then added, it was a treacherous trip here, did the timer cutters get out okay?’

“We managed to save all but three homes,’ he replied, ‘but two of them were abandoned.’ He quickly added.

‘And the third,’ George asked, as he filled someone’s cup and handed them a sandwich.

‘Young Josie Mills, over there, wasn’t so lucky.’ he replied, as he pointed to a young woman huddled near a tree, clutching her three children to her. ‘Lost everything, Sergeant Murphy continued. ‘Lucky to escape with the clothes they are wearing.’

‘That’s terrible,’ George said, as he placed a mug of tea and some bottles of water on a half empty tray of sandwiches.

‘Hey George’ the Sergeant said. ‘I almost forgot. Were you able to make that call to England?’

‘Yes, but I was too late. My brother Tom had passed away.’ He replied, as he headed toward Josie Mills with the tray.

‘I’m very sorry to hear that,’ the Sergeant said sorrowfully.

The fire fighters who had rested and eaten began heading back toward the front as teams of weary fighters arrived for a rest. Two more vehicles laden with refreshments arrived and George and Madge packed up to head into town.

‘Is there any messages for those in town?’ George asked Sergeant Murphy.

‘No, but you can do me a huge favor by taking Josie and her children into town for me. Mrs. Murphy will look after them for the night.’ He said.

‘Glad to Sergeant,’ he replied. ‘That’s a small ask, he added, as he helped them into the back of Madge’s four wheel drive.

On the drive into town, conversation was stilted. George had a thousand questions for Josie but he didn’t want to upset the children further.

George and Madge soon learned that Josie’s husband Patrick was laid up in hospital with two broken legs. A tree had caught him when he was felling it and he hadn’t worked in three weeks. He was expected to remain in hospital for some months yet.

They also learned that Josie had no family in town and had no money. She was in a desperate situation.

‘I’ll organise some clothes for you and the children?’ Madge said.

‘Oh, that would be great if you could Madge but I don’t want to be a burden.’

‘It’s no burden Josie, It’s the least one can do under the circumstances. Could you tell me how old the children are?’ she asked.

‘Tom is the oldest, he is nine, Jane is seven and Billy is six.’ She stammered.

‘Thanks Josie, I’m sure we can find some thing for them.’

‘Josie is there anything special you need or any medications that may be urgent.” George asked.

‘Jane has an asthma puffer,’ she replied.

‘I still have it Mum,’ Jane whispered.

‘Oh good girl,’ Josie said as she reached and cuddled her.

George drove slowly down the main street and noted that the chemist shop was open.

‘Drop me at the CWA Hall,’ Madge said, as she reached back and took Josie’s hand. ‘All will be okay, she added, squeezing lightly.’

‘Thank you,’ Josie replied, weeping softly.

‘Now don’t forget to bring my car back Sterling Moss,’ Madge said with a smile, as she alighted.

George chuckled, as he waved and drove off.

At the Police station, George could see that the back up had arrived. He helped Josie and the children out and led them into the office. Mrs. Murphy quickly appeared and George held her aside and told her of Josie’s plight.

‘Oh no, that’s terrible!’ She exclaimed. ‘Lost everything you said,’ Mrs. Murphy mumbled, shaking her head. ‘Three days to Christmas and everything gone,’ she said, as tears welled in her eyes.

‘The Sergeant said you could arrange emergency accommodation and Madge is arranging some clothing for them.’ George told her quietly.

‘Oh good old Madge, she is a treasure. I will accommodate them tonight and I’m sure I’ll find them some place to stay tomorrow,’ Mrs. Murphy said.

I had better get Madge’s car back to her,’ George said, turning to leave.

He stopped at the door and turning back said, ‘Mrs. Murphy, could I see you for a moment.’

As Mrs. Murphy joined George on the porch, he said quietly, ’If you have trouble finding accommodation for Josie and the kids and if Josie doesn’t mind they can stay with me.’

Mrs. Murphy started to interrupt but George stopped her.

‘With Christmas only three days away most people have left for the holidays. I have two spare rooms in that big house and I really don’t mind.

‘Oh thank you George,’ she said, as she squeezed his hand tenderly.’ Are you sure? Especially with you just losing your brother,’ she said, as tears filled her eyes once more.

‘Yes I am sure, and if Josie doesn’t want to stay with me, I would like her and the children along with you and the Sergeant to join me for Christmas dinner.’ George told her.

‘Thank you George, we will be there.’ She said, as George once more turned to leave.

‘Besides the Sergeant hasn’t finished sampling my Christmas fare,’ he called to Mrs. Murphy, as she stood with a puzzled look and watched him leave.

On his way to meet Madge, George stopped at the chemists and organised a box of necessities for Josie and the children. He made sure that it included extra medication for Jane’s asthma and some jelly beans for the children.

George stopped at the CWA Hall and Madge had already gathered three boxes of clothes and toys for Josie. He also learned that the fire fighters had stopped the bush fire at Bracken Ridge and the town was safe. He helped load the boxes into the car and Madge dropped him at home on her way to the Police Station.

‘Thanks for your help today George,’ she said, as she stopped outside his house.

‘I spose you’re off to the city for Christmas?’ George asked.

‘Yes, my youngest son is flying over from Perth and we’re having a family reunion Christmas this year.’

‘Well you have a safe journey and a Merry Christmas.’ He said, climbing from the car.

‘Thanks George and you have a good one too. I hope it’s not going to be a lonely one for you.’ She said.

‘I’ll be okay,’ he said, as he waved good bye.


The next morning George heard Sergeant Murphy’s Landrover pull up. He wondered if Josie had accepted his hospitality as he made his way to the door. He was pleased to see the Sergeant, Mrs. Murphy along with Josie and the children. He had been up early this morning and had aired the rooms and put fresh linen on all the beds.

George stood watching them come down the pathway, and quietly thought to himself, Millie would have been pleased with what he had done. He had definitely come along way, thanks to her. He had been a Jackeroo, used to throwing his swag under a canvas strung between two trees. Roughing it was his life style until he met and fell in love with Millie. She had chipped away at he edges and re shaped him.

‘Hello George,’ the Sergeant said, interrupting his thoughts.

‘Hi Sergeant, Mrs. Murphy, Josie, nice to see you children,’ he added. ‘Please come in,’ he said, stepping aside.

‘Gee what’s that nice smell?’ one of the boys said.

‘That’s the Christmas pudding curing,’ George replied, before his mother could berate him.

‘Oh!’ he said.

‘You’re very kind to do this George. Are you sure it’s no trouble.’ Josie said.

Absolutely no trouble at all Josie,’ George replied. ‘Let me show you your rooms and where everything is.’ He said, ushering them through.

Afterwards, George made tea and produced some freshly baked scones.

‘Geez George, you’re full of surprises.’ The Sergeant said.

George chuckled, as he passed the jam. ‘You’ve got all next year to take off any calories.’ George retorted.

‘That’s been his New Years resolution for the past twenty years George, and he breaks it all the time.’ Mrs. Murphy said, with a laugh.

The children finished their drinks and started to fidget. Josie tried to settle them.

George reached over and held Josie’s hand. ‘If you don’t mind I’d like to say something to your children.’ George said.

Josie nodded.

‘Okay kids, here’s the deal,’ George said. ‘Please know that you are welcome here in my home and while you are here I want you to know it is also your home. Please feel free to look around and explore the house and the yard. Don’t be afraid to make a noise, this house has been quiet for too long.’

‘Wow!’ they yelled. Can we leave the table mum?’ they cried in unison.

‘Yes,’ Josie replied, as she began to cry. “Thank you George.’ She said.

Turning to Josie, he said. ‘Now, I have an old car in the shed and later today I want you to use it to take the children to see Patrick in hospital. You can drive?’ He asked hesitantly.

‘Yes George I can drive, and thank you so much’ Josie said, as she squeezed his hands tightly.

‘I’ll have to go George.’ Sergeant Murphy said, as he and his wife stood. ‘We had better bring those boxes in first,’ he added.

Everyone carried the boxes inside and as the Sergeant was leaving, George arrange for him to bring back a Christmas tree. He had not put up a Christmas tree since his wife Millie passed away.

Later that afternoon while Josie was at the hospital, the Sergeant and some volunteers from the local Lions Club arrived at George’s house with a tree, decorations and Christmas presents. They helped George put it altogether as a special treat for Josie and her family.

It was dusk when George heard Josie pull into the drive way. He walked to the back door to let her inside.

He noted that the children were a little sullen as they walked down the path. He hoped that Patrick was alright.

‘How is Patrick?’ George asked as the family entered the room.

‘He’s okay’, Josie replied. ‘Of course he was upset that he wasn’t there to help us. He probably thought he could have saved the house but believe me, nothing would have saved it.’ She said dejectedly.

‘Well I have a surprise for you all,’ George said with a smile

‘Oh have you prepared dinner already,’ Josie said, as she noticed the table set.

‘Well, yes I have done that, but this is something else. How about we go into the lounge room, George said, as he ushered them through.

Suddenly squeals of joy and excitement echoed through the house. The children stood and looked in awe at the decorated Christmas tree and the colourful decorations adorning the room. There were a small number of present spread around the tree but George had a lot more secreted. He and Josie would add them tomorrow night while the children slept.

Josie wrapped her arms around her children and as tears flowed freely, she turned to George saying, ‘Thank you, thank you so much.’

‘Oh this is from the towns people Josie.’ George explained. ‘The Lions Club and Country Women’s Association did this for you and the children.’ He told her.

Josie pulled her children tighter to her body and as she began to sob, stammered, ‘why, why me?’

George reached out and placing his hand on her shoulder said, ‘It’s Christmas Josie, it’s a time for giving and caring and the people of this little bush town want you to know, you and your family are special and they care about you. They don’t want your family to miss out on Christmas.

George slowly turned and as he left he glanced and saw the excitement and smiles on the children’s faces. He wiped a tear from his eyes as he went to prepare dinner.

After dinner, the children sat in the lounge room singing Christmas carols. George and Josie sat at the table talking. George told Josie about the extra presents donated for the children.

He passed Josie an envelope and said. ‘This is a gift from me to you. I know it is Christmas Eve tomorrow but I would like you to go into town and buy a small present for Patrick and your children. Yes a lot has been donated but I also know there is no better present than one from a wife and Mother.

Josie quietly stood and walked over to George and hugged him. ‘Thank you George,’ she said and kissed the top of his head.

The next morning, while Josie went shopping, George took the children to select a small gift each for their parents. In the afternoon Josie took them to the hospital so they could spend some of Christmas Eve with Patrick.

That evening, after the children had gone to bed, George and Josie placed the remaining presents around the Christmas tree then sat quietly having a drink.

‘George, I can’t help but wonder about your family. You’ve prepared this great family Christmas and your family isn’t here.' Josie said.

George hesitated, and then replied. ‘I was expecting my brother whom I have not seen for fifteen years, to come from England. Regrettably before he arrived he had a heart attack and passed away.’ He said quietly.

‘Oh George I am sorry. Josie said. Then asked ‘When did this happen?’

‘I got the news the day of the fire.’ George replied.

‘What about the rest of the family?’ Josie asked, with a tearful voice.

‘Millie and I lost our son Robert in the Vietnam War and now, unfortunately with my brother passing away, I am the last of my family.’ He replied.

Josie started to speak but George continued.

‘But let me quickly add, Josie Mills, before you go thinking you’re a burden at a time like this, forget it. It is a pleasure to have you and your children stay here with me. I know it was through adversity that we met, but Christmas hasn’t meant as much since my Millie passed away and having you and your family here has changed that.

‘Thank you George,’ Josie whispered.

George leaned back into his chair and said. ‘After Christmas dinner, I used to organise a game of cricket for the children in the street. Do you think your children would like a game tomorrow?’ He asked.

‘I am sure they would love a game George. After all Christmas isn’t Christmas with out a game of street cricket.’ Josie answered.

George raised his glass and said, ‘Here's to a happy Christmas Josie Mills.’

‘Yes George, a very happy Christmas.’ She replied.
© Copyright 2004 HardYakka (hardyakka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/919299-A-Bush-Christmas