*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/924818-The-Sparrows-Song
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #924818
Chakara loves Alicia, but hides a secret.

I watched her, a simple beauty dancing through an open field. Her long black hair spun around flawless ivory skin. The only music was that of the sparrows singing. She floated across the low grass with the wind beneath her feet. I was inspired as I gazed from the trees. I mustered my courage and stepped from the hidden wood, hoping she would not see past my magic. I sat on a fallen tree. She saw me, but continued her dance for some time. I did not complain.

When at last she stopped, I stood and applauded.

“That was wonderful," I called across the grassy field.

She walked to me, I felt nervous as she drew close. I could tell by her clothes that she came from a poor family, but clearly, she carried the beauty of a goddess and the grace of a queen. I had met both in my many years, but none ever enchanted me like this poor peasant girl had.

"Thank you my lord," she said as she bowed before me.

Her soft, majestic voice would make even nightingales envious. I looked at her, into her eyes of a clear sky. They called for me to fly among them, and set my heart free.

"It is I who will bow to you, my lady," I said as I bowed deeply. "You move like the clouds walking the air. What is your name, my lady?" I asked.

"My name is Alicia," she replied with an elegant smile.

"Alicia," the name floated through my mind, as graceful as her dance, as beautiful as her face.

"Please, there’s no need to call me sire, Alicia," I said while gazing into blue eyes. "My name is Chakara; I am honored to make your acquaintance."

She looked at me, a kind of strange look in her eyes. I wondered if she saw past my magic. Did she see the monster within?

"Chakara," she said, my name rolled off her tongue as if she was the only one allowed to speak it.

"What a wonderful name,” she said while brushing back her onyx locks. “What does it mean?" she asked with an inquisitive look in her eyes.

"It means Him of the Golden Sun," I replied. "It is an ancient name, rarely used in these times," I added.

She smiled at me, a smile that could end wars; bring peace to any savage whose eyes fell upon its glory.

"I must go," she said as she looked to the west. "My father will be worried if I do not return before the day leaves,” she finished while once again bowing before me, and then turning to leave.

"Wait," I said before she got too far away. "I would like to dance with you,” my mouth became dry. My voice trembled. “Will you return here?" I finally squeaked out.

Alicia looked at me again. Her smile melted my heart, and caused my soul to quiver. "I will return in five days," she replied. I swear I saw diamonds in her eyes as she spoke. "It would make me happy if you came and danced with me."

With that, she ran off, going to her home. I returned to mine as well, dreaming of the elegant Alicia, the graceful dancer who stole my heart.

The days went slowly by, thoughts of Alicia stayed in my mind. I could not escape her smile. It shined brightly as I closed my eyes. I wasted away the time dreaming of what should not be. It seemed like years, but at last, five days passed. I returned to the field, the sun not even fully in the sky. I sat on the same fallen log and waited. I heard the sparrows start to sing and knew she came. Alicia appeared in the open field. I felt my heart beating hard as we walked to meet each other.

"Chakara, I'm glad you came," she said with a soft, relaxing voice.

I knew I should not have come, but I could not resist the simple charm of this exceptional beauty. “It is a pleasure to see you, Alicia,” I said as I bowed. “I was worried you might not make it," I finished as I rose and held her hands in mine.

"And why wouldn’t I?" she asked as her smile grew.

I did not have an answer; I did not want to tell her my secret. What if she knew the truth? Would she fear me? Would she hate me? I tried not to think about it, but the question lingered in my thoughts.

"Chakara, come the day is wasting," I heard her angelic voice call.

She began dancing and I joined her. With the grace of a hunting falcon we floated across the fields, our bodies close as we waltzed away the day. Talking and laughing, never had I felt happiness stronger in my life. So many years I spent wandering this land alone, never finding my soul mate, until now. The sun began its journey to where it slumbers. We both knew it was time for her to go.

"I will return tomorrow," she said. "Will you be here?" she asked while looking me in the eyes.

I could hear the yearning in her voice. Did she feel as I felt? "I wouldn’t miss it for the gods themselves," I replied.

Her smile shone bright, and she kissed me, a small caress of passing lips before she started running home.

The days came and went and always we danced. Every weekend we met in the field, the sparrows sang out their wonderful melody. I was in love with Alicia, and she with me. I could not take it anymore; I lied to her by never speaking the truth. I decided it was time, I grabbed a trinket from my collection, a present for her, maybe a parting gift. We met once again in the fields; she ran up to me and kissed me fully on the lips. I could feel the passion burn deep within, a fire warming my entire being.

I looked into her eyes, "I love you, Alicia," I said. It was the first time I had actually spoken these words to her. Her gaze never left mine.

"I love you to, Chakara," she said. I burst into tears as she spoke.

"I am sorry, Alicia. I have kept a secret from you," I cried. "I am not what I seem to be," I said. My voice shook with the fright I felt within my heart.

Still, her eyes did not leave mine. "Hold out your hands," I said.

As she did, I placed in them my gift. A ruby, larger than her hands, but still its splendor paled compared to her. She looked at the stone, her eyes filled with surprise.

"I have never seen anything so beautiful," she said.

"I have," I replied. "This is my gift to you; it can not make up for the deception I have done.”

Alicia looked at me, seeing the sadness in my eyes. She moved closer, wanting to hold me, but I stepped away. "There is nothing you could say that would change my love for you, Chakara." I could hear her voice saddening; I never wanted to make her anything but happy.

"I am not human," I told her. "Please, do not be afraid. I will show you my true form. I will not harm you," my words echoed the fear in my soul as I stepped back and morphed into my true form.

Alicia looked at me in awe, but did not run. I bent my head down to be next to hers. "Yes," I said. "I am a dragon."

I felt her hand reach out, softly stroking my scaly skin. So warm it felt against my cold body.

"You are beautiful," she said. "Your skin; you are truly Him of the Golden Sun."

I could not believe my ears; I changed back to my human form.

"You are not afraid?" I asked.

She wrapped her arms around me.

"How can I fear a love so strong?" she asked. "I love you, Chakara; I told you there was nothing that could change that."

We stood there in the dancing field, our love now stronger than ever and kissed.
© Copyright 2005 Just MoW (manofwords at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/924818-The-Sparrows-Song