*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/935231-Unexpected
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #935231
A girl gets lost in the woods and finds more than she expected.
          I looked outside the window watching the snow fall delicately to the ground In the distance there was smoke rising from neighboring chimneys. Music played softly in the background, slowly relieving the days tensions and anything else that was bugging me. Walking back to the couch I spied our dog sprawled out on the floor sleeping soundly. I envied his ability to be able to sleep whenever he felt like it.
          I plopped onto the couch that was situated in front of the blazing fire. Golden flames leapt up and danced around, providing a comfortable warmth. As I lay there, I silently watched the fire and became drawn to it, like a moth to light. Fixated with the flames I reached out my hand and tried to touch them, but the heat was too intense. I tried to pull my hand back but I didn’t do it fast enough. I cried out in pain, but no one was home to hear except the dog and he is no use.
“Shit!” I yelped. “That was stupid.” I mumbled as I cradled my hand.
          The water from the faucet was cold sending chills through my body but slowly the pain became dulled and some relief came. Wrapping my hand with a cold wet cloth, I decided to go outside for a walk to clear my head since my brain didn’t seem to be in the right place. I shut of the fireplace off, cursing at it for hurting me, bundled up and prepared myself for the biting cold of winter. I whistled for the dog. He got up, stretched, lazily walked over and looked up at me. I told him we were going outside for a walk and he perked up.
          I braced myself as I opened the door but the wind blew pushing it shut hitting me in the face. Damn! That hurt. I looked at the dog and he offered no sympathy. I braced again and opened the door. The wind whipped by, the frigid weather nipped at my face. The dog raced past almost knocking me over, ran in circles before squatting and relieving himself in the pure white snow, now tainted a disgusting yellow.
          Walking along the natural path of the woods I could see the sun setting. The sky was a vibrant mixture of pink, blue, and purple hues. The colors blended together like one of Monet’s watercolor paintings. As the sun set it became darker and I lost track of time, but kept walking.
          After some time the dog came up to me looking confused. Stopping I looked around and realized I had no idea where I was. The path had disappeared a while ago and all that was left was me and nature. I could try to go back the way I came, but the fresh falling snow was covering my tracks. I had to get back, it was too cold to stay out the whole night, I had to find shelter or else I would freeze.
          About an hour had passed and I still had no idea where I was, I was just wondering like an idiot. No one would notice my absence either because they were on vacation. My parents always took a week off to go somewhere nice and warm. Seeing as how I was nineteen and accustomed to their winter break getaways, they left money, a few phone numbers, and left with a “I love you.” I never saw my neighbors because of the large size of everyone’s property, they wouldn’t notice either, so I was stuck.
          The dog was beginning to whine, probably because he was cold. I looked down and saw snow in-between his little dog toes. I took the cloth I had wrapped around my burn and rubbed the snow off to help re-circulate the blood in his paws. I put the cloth in my coat pocket, but it wouldn’t fit in all the way, something was blocking it. I reached in and found a mini Maglite, and a granola bar. They must be left from the camping trip I took with my friends. I turned the head of the flashlight to produce a ray of light. It was a little help but I just waited til my eyes became accustomed to the dark night and I then able to make out shadows. I found a rock, mostly ran into it, and brushed off the snow and sat down. Tearing open the granola bar I split it into thirds, giving a third to the dog and ate the rest.
          My face and feet felt numb and tired, my hands were dry and cracked despite having on gloves. I mumbled to myself about how much of an idiot I was but then a sound whispered through the woods. I sat still and whispered for the dog to come over. As I looked at him I could see he was already in his defense mode. The hair on his back stood at attention, his ears were pulled back and the whites of his teeth shone in the moonlight. Whatever it was, I wanted it to go away.
          Not knowing what to do, I started to sing the first song that came to my mind. Maybe my lack of talent would scare the creature away, but it didn’t. The sound came closer and closer, suddenly, “What a nice song.”
          A scream erupted from mouth and I tried to run away, but not knowing where I was or what was around me I ran right into a tree. This was not my day. I faintly remember the dog barking, then everything going black.
          The smell of cedar from a freshly burning fire filled my nostrils. I sat up startled, but jerking upright so suddenly I became dizzy and set my head back down on the pillow. I closed my eyes then opened them slowly letting everything sink in. There was wood all around me, if I didn’t know any better I would have said I was back in the woods. There was a dresser in front of the bed painted white with a rustic finish on it. The lamp on top of the dresser was twisted iron design that resembled a three pronged fishing hook with a tan shade on top with light shining through it. This was something I would definitely not see in a Home and Garden magazine.
          Swinging my feet over the side of the bed, I hoisted myself off. A rug slid a little beneath me, but I kept going. Walking toward the door, I reached out and opened it as carefully as I could with out making much noise. Peaking out I could see that the hallway was empty and decided to venture out. I walked down the hall; to the left I saw a small bathroom with no personality. A guy must live here, I thought to myself. Noticing the dog was missing, I tried calling his name quietly.
“He’s in here, he was famished, so I gave him some lunch meat. I hope that was okay?” An unfamiliar voice spoke out.
“A sure, I guess,” I said walking toward the voice. “Um, where are you?”
“In the family room keep walking to the end of the hall, then look right .”
          I walked to the end, then looked right. There on the floor was the dog belly-side up getting a tummy rub by a total stranger. Some dog, I thought, German shepherds were supposed to be defensive in unfamiliar situations. Next time I’m getting a Pit Bull.
“Hey, come here you little butt,” I said. The dog immediately jumped up and came
running toward me, and slid to a stop in front of me.
“When we get home you’re going to take lessons on how to be a guard dog.” I said dryly.
“Oh, don’t be hard on him, I tempted him with meat,” the stranger replied.
It was an odd response but I looked at him and found two striking ice blue eyes staring back. I stepped back and analyzed the stranger in front of me. He had a medium complexion, unruly dark brown hair that had a slight curl to it, and a lean muscular build. I must have been looking for a long time because he said, “Do I have something on my face?”
“Oh! No, no I’m sorry, I’m a little out of it,” I said blushing.
“Yeah, I can see that. You know you’re probably going to have that lump on your head for a while, you hit the tree pretty hard.”
          Moving my hand toward my head there was a sudden burst of pain as it brushed over a huge bump. That must have been where I met a hard object for the second time that day.
“It should be okay now, I cleaned it with some antiseptic in case of infection. You were too out of it to notice any pain,” he said, smiling just a bit, showing a dimple in his cheek.
“By the way my name is Scott.” He held out his hand for me to shake but I declined.
“Sorry I’m not so friendly, but I’m in the middle of nowhere and you pop up telling me you like the song I was singing. And how did you even find me anyway?” I asked roughly.
“Okay,” he said laughing and raising his hands up in defeat, “I give up. I was going to go to sleep but I saw a light outside, and wanted to check it out.”
“Really,” I raised my eyebrow.
“Really. I wanted to make sure nothing bad was out there. Flashlights don’t pass by often.”
“Oh ok.” I looked around, “So now when can I get out of here, no offense or anything?” I replied impatiently.
“None taken, but you might have a hard time getting home. There is a big blizzard that’s due to hit in less than an hour, and unless you know a shortcut to your home, which I doubt you do, you’re staying here.”
“What!” I said stunned. “I can’t go home! You’ve got to be kidding me.” I eyed him, “I don’t believe you.”
         I study and read weather patterns for a hobby. I’m telling you that sky is going to open up and spit out all she’s got to offer, plus I have a radio.” He said with a shy smile.
“Oh great,” I threw my hands up in the air in disgust and slumped into the nearest chair. I’m going to be stuck with weather boy here for the rest my life. I buried my head in my arms and stated to cry.
          Outside the wind began to pick up and the trees swayed back and forth. White fluffy puffs of snow began to fall gently, but the pace picked up and the skies opened and blew with vengeance.
          I felt like a child just sitting there and crying, but I couldn’t help it. Once I started crying all my emotions let loose and came pouring out. I felt a little sorry for Scott because he had to see me like this, but tough luck for him, at least he was in his own home. Finally the tears stopped, my eyes were red and my face dripping with salty tears. Looking around I noticed that Scott and the dog were missing. Getting up from the chair I whistled for the dog. Instead Scott stuck his head around the corner and began to speak, “He’s outside, the snow is picking up and I figured he would probably want to take care of business before the snow piles up, unless he knows how to use the toilet. Does he?”
“Haha, no he doesn’t. I haven’t gotten around to training him yet.”
“Sorry I had to check,” he smiled. “Are you feeling any better, because if you do I made some soup, it’s pretty good if I must say so myself,” he replied smiling revealing his dimples again. I gave in and smiled back in response.
“I take it that means ‘yes’ for soup,” he said
“That’s a good assumption, I’m going to let the dog back in before he gets buried in the snow”
“Hey, do you have a name for the dog?”
“No.” I yelled back. “I just call him Dog, it seemed to suits him.”
          Reaching for the front door, I opened it and called for the dog to come in. When he came to the door I could see he had acquired a thick white layer of snow over him making him look like a relative of the snowman. I watched as the snow came racing down from the sky and landed on the ground. I didn’t notice that I had kept the door open for awhile until Scott’s voice broke my trance.
“Shut the door, its cold enough already without your help.”
          I closed the door and walked into the kitchen with Dog trailing behind me. Scott was seated at the table. In front of him were two bowls of soup. I sat down and began to eat.
“This soup isn’t too bad.”
“Well thank you very much. I slaved away over a hot stove for hours preparing it and making it perfect,” he replied.
“It’s canned soup isn’t it?”I replied spooning more into my mouth.
“Yup,” he said.
“Well the soup people did a good job,” I said laughing, feeling slightly more comfortable around Scott.
His eyes watched me and finally he said, “You want to know about me, don’t you?”
         I looked at him and smiled, and said, “Your right, if I’m going to spend time with you I want to at least feel safe, and knowing whether or not you’re some crazed psycho with twisted fantasies would help me. I’m hoping though that you aren’t a crazed psycho.”
“You can rest easy. I’m not a psycho with fantasies,” he said.
“Twisted, you forgot twisted.”
“Oops, sorry.” He pushed his empty bowl away as he laughed.
I finished mine too, set it aside and looked at him.
“Are you going to ask me anything?” He questioned, apparently I took too long.
“I thought I would guess, but since the option of asking questions has opened up I’ll take it,” I answered. “Are you going to ask me questions?”
“If that’s alright? If you get to find out whether I’m crazy, I think I’m entitled to know if you might be, because anyone who wanders alone in the woods at night singing out of tune might just be called crazy.” His eyes sparkled.
“It’s fine” I said.
“Shake on it?” He held out his hand. I shook it this time. For just shaking someone’s hand he had a good deal of strength.
“You can go first,” I said breaking our grip.
“Ok, what’s you name?”
“Wow, what a good question.” I replied sarcastically.
“I thought so, are you going to answer?” He asked.
“Yes. I’m Alexandra Stone, most just call me Alex.” I clapped my hands together, “Alright now it’s my turn. What are you doing living out in the middle of nowhere by yourself? I noticed that you have no phone, how do you communicate with anyone, it must get lonely sometimes?” I said most of it coming out in one breath.
“This has a long answer to it, you sure you want to know.”
“Yes, we shook on it so you have to answer.”
He sighed and began to talk.
“I live out here because I didn’t feel like following the road my parents had set out for me. We butted heads too much, so I took what I had and moved out here where I can breath and think. It gets lonely but…”
         Our conversation ended up being a question and answer session, but I felt like we had learned a fair amount about each other. I had lost track of time, and when I yawned I realized it must be late. I looked at my watch; it read 1:35a.m. I guessed that we started talking around ten o’clock, so about three and a half, give or take some, hours had passed. Scott too realizing it was late looked at his watch.
“Jeez, it’s late,” he said stretching. When he stretched he looked like he was about six feet, tall, compared to my mere five feet five inches. “That was a long and interesting conversation,” he said with a hint of drowsiness in his voice.
“Yeah, I’m really tired. I think I have had enough excitement for one day. Do you have a blanket I can use?”
“I do, but you can sleep in my room and I’ll sleep on the couch, you’ll be more comfortable in there. I’m sorry I didn’t build a spare room when I had the chance, it would come in handy right now.”
“Sure it would, but you don’t have one, and I’ll sleep on the couch I’m used to it. Sometimes when my parents come home from their business trips, I sleep on the couch so I can hear when they come home.”
“That really is touching, but your since the guest and I’m trying to be a good host, I’m allowing you to have the more comfortable spot and I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer. You got that?” His hands were on his hips and he was trying to be serious.
“Yes,” I said timidly, allowing him to feel some satisfaction.
“Good. Follow me.”
          I got up and walked behind him, the dog got up too, stretched and trailed behind us. “There’s the bathroom if you need it,” he pointed to the right of me.
          As we entered his room, an odor that was a mix between musk and sweaty socks enveloped the place, typical for a young bachelor. He walked over to his closet and pulled out two blue plaid blankets and a pillow that was red and had rabbits on it.
“Here’s one more blanket, it will probably get a lot colder, and you’ll want to be prepared,” He said as he handed me a plaid blanket.
“Thanks.” Raising one eyebrow I asked, “I thought you said you weren’t crazy , because I think any guy who still has bunnies on his pillows at age twenty-one is a little off his rocker.”
“It was on sale at the store, I’m on a budget, and so what I like rabbits. What are you going to do about it?” His voice filled with curiosity.
“I guess nothing, I’m stuck here in the middle of nowhere, with no communication to the outside world, so if worse comes worse I’ll have to fight you off” I looked around, “So where are you going to sleep, on the couch?”
“Yeah, I’m going to keep the fire going, so it should stay warm in there, and it should stay warm for you too, but if it gets cold you have the extra blanket.”
“Oh, okay, um, goodnight and thank you for your hospitality, I really appreciate it.”
“Your welcome, and have a good night sleep, if you need anything just yell or come get me Goodnight Alex.”
          Feeling awkward for never have being in this situation before, I just replied, “Goodnight Scott.”
          He gathered his bunny covered pillow and plaid blanket and left the room. On the way out Scott gave Dog a pat on the head, he didn’t seem to mind, he actually looked as if he had take an instant liking to Scott. Which made me feel better because usually a dog’s instinct is better than a humans, most of the time.
          Blushing to myself I thought how I liked hearing myself say his name and him mine. Getting situated, I removed my shoes, called for the dog to lie next to the bed on the rug. I turned out the lamp on the dresser, and got into the bed and wrapped the covers around me. It felt weird invading someone else’s bed, but my overwhelming tiredness from the eventful day got the best of me.
I softly told Dog, “Goodnight, pleasant doggy dreams.”
         He just grunted and I could hear him situate himself on the floor, something he was not used to. I could see in my mind him wrapping his bushy black tail over his face and falling into a peaceful slumber. I closed my eyes, thinking that Dog had the right idea.
          I slept soundly that night and awoke as rested as a person who had slept in a stranger’s bed could be. The snow outside showed no signs of melting any time soon. It was piled high and every now and then flurries came fluttering down to replace any snow that might have melted.
          Scott and I ate breakfast, and talked again for a few hours, not like we had anything better to do. I felt like I had known him forever, but there was still so much untold. We finished and then set out to clear some snow. We dug a path out from the door so the dog could go to the bathroom.
         Days passed and still the snow showed no signs of melting, it would definitely be a hassle to try and walk through it. I began to worry about my parents. I figured they would be home in a soon and they would wonder where I was, but Scott assured me everything would be alright.
“You don’t need to worry, I promise if the snow doesn’t melt in a day, I’ll dig us out of the house and to your home, wherever that may be,” he said with a smirk on his face.
         The day progressed and night fell. The sky was as black and brilliant as Onyx, and the stars twinkled and flickered.
         I yawned. “Goodnight Scott. Remember that tomorrow we need to work on getting me out of here, I don’t want to my parents to get worried.”
“I know, I promised you and I always stay true to my word,” he said trying to mask his tone like he had been offended by my comment. His eyes turned to a cold steely blue and his face was etched with hurt and disappointment.
          I hadn’t seen Scott show his emotions like this before and it kind of unnerved me, but I shrugged it off. I would be home soon and back with my family. But I decided to reassure him and that I appreciated everything he had done for me in the past days.
“Scott, I really am grateful for everything you’ve done, but I hope you understand that I’m a little homesick, and I miss my parents.” I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him on the gently on the cheek. “See you in the morning,” I replied as I strolled down the hall smiling to myself. I looked at the dog and he could tell I did something, but he wasn’t sure what.
          I put on my pajamas, a pair of sweat pants, which were too big, and a t-shirt also a bit on the big side. They were both property of Scott. Over the past few days I used some of his clothes mostly to sleep in and wore my outfit during the day making sure not to stain it. I turned off the light and hopped in bed, Dog on the floor next to me. I closed my eyes and thought about happy things as I drifted into the world of sleep.
         The next morning I woke up early and rested, prepared to dig myself home, if need be.
“Morning,” I chirped.
Scott sat at the table with his head hung low and merely grunted at my salutations.
“Ok?” I touched his shoulder.
“Fine.” His head rose and I saw dark circles under his eyes.
“Did you not sleep?” I knew the answer but wasn’t expecting his reaction.
“No,” His harsh voice shot back at me.
“Why?” I asked.
“Does it matter,” His fists slammed on the table and he pushed back his chair sending it toppling to the floor.
         I felt a sense of unease sweep over me, but I yelled back, “Yes it matters. You were fine last night and now you’re freaking moody as hell. What is going on. And where is Dog?” I was fueled with anger.
“Don’t raise your voice to me.” His hand grabbed my forearm and yanked hard.
“Ouch!” I tried to twist out of his grip. “That hurts.”
         He squeezed harder before letting go leaving a red mark imprinted into my flesh.
“Don’t do that again,” He said between clenched teeth, the muscles in his jaw were tense.
Still rubbing my arm and pissed, I asked bitter sweetly, “Where’s Dog?”
“On the floor.” His eyes pierced mine and I knew something was wrong.
I swung around and began searching for Dog.
“Dog. Dog. Here Boy.” I walked around the kitchen, no sign, then I went into the family room. Dog lay on the floor in a heap. I raced over and dropped to me knees. Starting to tremble, I rocked him back and forth trying to rouse him. He was breathing but not waking up.
“What the fuck did you do to him!?” Panic sliced through my body.
“A little Valium.” Scott walked cooly toward me. “I needed him out of the way for awhile. I figured he wouldn’t know the difference If I kept him.”
“What?” My voice croaked, my head cocked to the side in disbelief.
“I don’t appreciate being taken advantage of. I give you my hospitality and you repay me by leaving. Just up and walk out, and forget everything I have done for you. I saved you from the bitter cold.” His arms waved wildly and everything about him shouted unstable.
“I would have rather died!” I screamed.
“No!” His hand came out and slapped me across the face, knocking me onto my back.
“Ungrateful Bitch!” His screeched.
         I lay on the ground stunned by the force that had hit me. My face ached from the hit, but I still tried to stand. No good. His body came down on mine, his weight pinning me to the floor. I then began to feel his fingers pull the bottom of my shirt up, and slide onto my skin. My stomach lurched.
“Stop!” I cried.
His fingers crawled along my flesh, I began to whimper. His hands slowly circled my breast and he yanked the bra to the side. His cold fingers wrapped around my breast and he gave a hard, painful squeeze.
“Stop!” My body fought wildly, my legs kicking and my arms clawing at him.
         His hand whipped out from under my shirt, grabbed my arms and pinned them above my head and laid all his weight on me, preventing me from squirming.
         His head cocked to the side, he smiled wickedly and asked, “Didn’t you really wonder why I was out here? In the middle of fucking nowhere!?”
“I thought you told me it was becau...”
“No!” His voice cut mine off. “It’s because my family was ashamed of me.” Anger filled the air. “You can’t have a crazy son if you want to run for office.” His eyes grew wide. “So they stuck me out in the middle of fucking nowhere to keep me from hurting anyone. But that will change.” His hand caressed my cheek, and I yanked my head away. My arms were aching and my breathing was shallow as my lungs couldn’t expand.
“So you are a freaking psycho.” I coughed out.
His head lowered and I felt his breath against my ear. “Yes. And with twisted fantasies.” His tongue licked the side of my face.
“Noooo!” I wiggled my body and got enough room to knee him in the groin.
“Bitch!” He rolled over and grabbed his crotch. “You’ll pay.”
         I leapt up and ran for the door. I was shaking so bad and I fumbled with the doorknob. His arms came around my neck and cut off my air. I instinctively reached up and tried to pry them away.
I felt him lift my body off the ground and I was trying to suck in as much air as I could.
“Your not going anywhere,” His voice was cold and evil.
         I gave a solid kick backwards and nailed his kneecap, sending both of us to ground in a pile. I pushed my body up and yanked the door open. The snow was finally melting but not enough to make a getaway easy. I leapt into it and began to run, or at least try. The snow was still high, making me trip and stumble to get through it. The coldness got to me faster than I anticipated and I began to slow down. My feet and hands were burning from the extreme cold, my eyes was tearing and my nasal passage ways were dry causing my nose to bleed. Adrenaline still pulsated through my veins giving me extra energy to fight my way through the winter weather. I hoped I had disabled Scott for a little while so I could get a head start and find a way to defeat him, but my hopes were diminished when I heard his bitter voice cry out, “Alex, I am going kill you. Cut you to tiny little pieces. You hear me!”
“Fuck you!” I shrieked and kept wading through.
“Be my guest.” He yelled.
         I could feel him approaching me, and I tried to move faster but my feet were just too numb. I needed a strategy, or else he would have me as soon as he caught up.
         I found a large tree and hide behind it, and leaned against it catching my breath. My chest heaved, and I tasted my blood.
“Got you.”
         I whirled around and punched his stomach, but hurt myself more than him He grabbed a handful of my hair and flung me to the ground, sending a series of cries from my lips. His arm rose in the air and I caught a glimpse of metal. Shit.
         His arm came down and I rolled to the side. I felt the cold metal slice through the fabric of my shirt and my shoulder.
“Alex, Alex, Alex. Don’t you know better than to..” As he leaned down I kicked his arm sending the knife into the snow.
“Hit me.” His voice hissed. We scrambled toward the landing place of the knife. He grabbed my feet and tried to pull me away but I stretched as far as humanly possible. My fingers scratched at the base of the knife trying to coax into their grasp. Got it. I grabbed the base and twisted around and lunged forward with every ounce of energy I had left.
         The knife sank into his body, gliding in like butter. A scream echoed through the trees. Stumbling backwards he hit a tree, and sank to the ground. Blood came spewing the wound and drenched his shirt. His eyes were wide, but still cold and filled with surprise and hate. My hands were planted in the snow and my body heaved as it tried to breath again. I watched in horror as he finally fell to the ground, mouth open and eyes wide.
         I was shaking so bad I couldn’t get up. I crawled away from his body and tried to make it as far away as possible. But exhaustion took over and I slowly dropped to the ground closing my eyes.
         I felt a warm, moist tongue lick the side of me face and it kept licking until I finally opened my eyes. I looked up and saw Dog staring back at me. He looked worn out and tired but happy enough to wag his tail at me after I had awaken.
“Dog!” I reached out, he licked my hand and nudged me.
“I’m trying.”
         I got to my knees and tried to pushed up with my arms, everything was numb and tingled with pain. I winced but was able to stand up, a little wobbly, but able to stand. I put as much weight as possible on the dog and dragged myself the rest of the way. I still didn’t know if I would make it, or where I was going but anywhere was better than here.
         After what felt like hours we finally broke free of the forest and relief surged through me as I spotted houses. Sensing the relief my body started to push adrenaline though my blood in hope of getting my sorry ass to safety. I limped up to a house and pounded on the door, but collapsed. As I lay with my face plastered against the door I gave little pounds and weakly mumbled, ‘help’. The door flung open sending me tumbling halfway into the doorway.
“Oh My!” A women’s voice gasped. “Honey call 911!”
         I felt the women grab under my armpits and drag me inside. She gathered me into her arms, rocking me back and forth, rubbing my frozen skin. My eyes closed and I lost consciousness.
         The next morning I woke up in the hospital. The doctor had told me that I was lucky that I hadn’t died, or lost all my limbs. I was lucky enough to escape getting frost bite too but barely. I would still have to do a little physical therapy but it was better than have stumps.
“If you had been out there any longer, you wouldn’t have any feet or hands.” He stated.
“Great. Thanks for the update.” I growled and he left the room.
         When I woke up again I found my parents on the side of my bed, my mother clutching onto my hands, tears streaming down her face.
“Mommy!” I cried.
         She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a hug.
“Oh baby. I am so happy you’re ok. We will never leave you again.” My dad pulled his chair next to my mothers and grasped my hands. He smiled and said, “My brave baby.” Tears were streaming down his face too.
          The doctor allowed me to leave since I was looking much better but told me to come back for physical therapy sessions. I agreed and was wheeled out to the car and taken home. As we drove home I saw police cars in the driveway. I had already talked to them and wondered what else they could possibly need from me.
          My parents came around to my door and helped me up and out. We made our way up toward the police officers.
“Ma’am” One tipped his head at us. I raised my eyebrows and gave him a questioning look.
“Ma’am. We don’t know how to tell you this but we have a bit of a problem.”
“Excuse me?” I was puzzled.
“You told us where you left your assailant’s body, but when we went there all we found was blood in the snow. Are you sure he was dead?”
“Yes! I stabbed him for heaven’s sake.” My body began to shake and tremble again. “He bled all over. I...” My body was dead weight and I sank to the ground and tried to catch my breath. My mom rubbed my back and cooed, “It’s ok honey, just breath.”
“So what do you want?” She hissed.
“Well, we wanted to know if he knows where you live?”
I sat there and thought about it. Damn, I did tell him.
“Yes. He knows.”
“Ok. I was asking because we found this on your front door step.” He handed me a shredded, bloody piece of fabric that had little white fluffy bunnies on it.
Shit.
© Copyright 2005 Phoenix rising (bmwsar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/935231-Unexpected