*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/940944-helping-hand
by kyks84
Rated: E · Other · Community · #940944
random act of kindness.
The alarm rings and startles me awake. Another day at college. As I dress, I think about the projects still outstanding and feel a cloud appear over me that will last all day.

I put on my scarf and step out into the cold winter’s air that dampens my mood even further. I angrily turn the key in the door and head off down the road to the bus stop. As I walk, I ponder the events of the day ahead of me and I dread the look on the teachers face when I have to tell him that for the fourth time I have not completed my assignment.

There has got to be more to life then what I am getting out of it at the moment.
It seems everyone is just after me, where ever I turn someone wants something that I can't or won't give them and it has just become so monotonous.
Finally, I reach the bus stop and standing in the corner is an old man trying to shield himself from the cold. He has a friendly face as he looks up at me and smiles. I try my best to pretend I haven't noticed him, I have more important things on my mind, and could not bear it if he started talking to me about the weather or something that didn't interest me.

As predicted, the old man had a comment on the weather and I gave him a polite smile and looked away again.

After what seemed like an eternity, the bus arrived and I rushed forward to get on, but just before I stepped on I remembered the old man and looked around to find him struggling with a few shopping bags that he had on the ground.
All at once, I was at his side and picking up his bags for him. As we climbed on the bus he thanked me for my help and gave me such a warm smile that melted and warmed me inside.

As I got off at my stop, I waved at him as the bus drove off and I felt refreshed and happy. All because I felt really needed and helpful to someone who appreciated it.
From that day on everyday is a new challenge to get through and help where I can. Feeling needed made me feel like I had an important place in this world and life is not what it makes of you but what you make of life.

rozalie.
© Copyright 2005 kyks84 (rozalie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/940944-helping-hand