*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/948016-Beauty
by Stefan
Rated: E · Prose · Emotional · #948016
A short look at beauty and the different ways it is experienced.
Beauty

Have you ever tried to make someone see what you see when you look at them?
For a society so infatuated with truth, we try so hard to avoid it.

Why are we so scared? Scared to embrace, scared to trust;
Scared to love the person we see in the mirror each morning.

Afraid that doing so will reveal our ugliness to the world, we simply try our best to hide it. Not realizing that we are beautiful, we cling to the beauty we see around us.
But it's always clinging, isn't it?
Because we cannot truly appreciate the beauty around us until we recognize the beauty that lies within us.

So much beauty, and we go to such great lengths to hide it. Why?
Because this person or that person looks better, talks better, dresses better.
As if beauty were something only granted to a privileged few, as if beauty only meant
physical beauty and nothing more.

What of the other forms of beauty? Have we forgotten them in our haste to hide our apparent ugliness from the world?

What of emotional beauty? The beauty that emanates from a person who views life as a positive experience, who rejoices in their life instead of viewing it as a heavy burden.

What of intellectual beauty? The beauty of a person who is blessed with a mind capable of profound thought, who views life as a big picture or even as a series of small occurences.

What of the beauty of humor? The beauty of a person who can take life's occurences with a smile and a joke, instead of through gritted teeth and worried mind.

What of these forms of beauty? Are they any less important than physical beauty, any less obvious than the much glamorized physical appearance of a person? Why is a person only considered beautiful if we find them physically attractive and why do we search so much for that physically attractive person if we don't even consider ourselves beautiful?

Beauty exists, in many different forms, all throughout the world and in our everyday life. The problem is, we're all too busy hiding our own "ugliness" to take the time to notice this wonderful beauty that exists within each one of us.

It's hard to trust someone who tells you you're beautiful when you don't see it yourself.
And there are so many people that use these words to try and get what they want, because they know we sincerely want to believe that we are beautiful.

So what's the solution? How can you make someone see what you see when you look at them? Sadly, there is no easy answer, no words or actions that will guarantee that the person you know is so beautiful will ever see it themselves. That won't stop me from trying though, because I know I see the truth. Beauty is there whether she acknowledges it or not.
© Copyright 2005 Stefan (s.gilly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/948016-Beauty