*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/965520-Cricket
by Jacque
Rated: E · Short Story · Women's · #965520
The character intro for a piece in progress
She'd felt this way her whole life, she remembered back to elementary school when a teacher would read her name on the first day of class, "Cecily" her eyes would light up and her voice would rise, expecting perhaps a scene stealing little girl, although she sense their disappointment when they saw her with her ponytail and crooked front teeth. Cursed with such a name, so she'd always felt.

Staring at the photo on her wall, an old window frame with a blown up photo of a field of grass with one lone tree in the upper right corner, she longed to be anywhere but this drab office. She'd worked to hard to be a faceless employee at a large corporation. With a name like Cecily she was surely meant for greatness. Growing up she was sure she'd be a Vetrinarian, or maybe a world famous gymnast. She would marry a storybook prince, with enough wealth that she could travel the world, all the pins she'd stuck on her map in her bedroom as a teenager, she'd visit Africa and Ireland. They would live in a beautiful Victorian house, with 3.5 children, a golden retriever and 2 sportcars in the driveway.

When five o'clock came, she pushed the power button on her computer and slowly meandered towards the parking lot, unlocked her 1992 Ford Taurus and drove toward home. Opening the door to her 1 bedroom apartment she pushed play on her answering machine and listened to her Mothers voice telling her she'd met another nice young man at the grocery store, perhaps she would be interested in meeting him, she won't be young forever. It was the same routine day after day, yet she wasn't sure prince charming was still out there.

Plopping herself down on the couch to watch the evening news, she thought to herself that nothing was more depressing than the news these days. The 6 o'clock news and the thought of being single forever. But she had to face the facts, she wasn't getting any younger and all the good men were already married. "What a waste of a good name" she thought to herself.
© Copyright 2005 Jacque (jacque at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/965520-Cricket