*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968584-Allyna
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #968584
Another story about Allyna, the beginning of her life.
          She thought of how it all began, of what a good child she had been. Her parents had been devout followers of Tarin. They had taught her his ways and the ways of the light. They had been the most wonderful, loving, and caring parents. Her mother was a human, her father a katrin. Allyna had the features of both, but was mostly human. She had cat like eyes, furry cat ears that mostly blended in with her human hair, and a tail. Even with her cat features, she had grown to be a most beautiful woman. Her eyes were a deep green, and she had nicely defined cheekbones. She had full lips that looked most kissable and long auburn hair. Her parents used to tell her that her beauty on the outside was a reflection of what was on the inside, which was why she was so pretty.
          She could remember playing with the other children, her laughter ringing clear in the early mornings. Those were the times before she knew the true nature of people, of the evils that existed in even the most devout. She had been innocent, even though she was different than the other children, none seemed to care. The adults did, though. They cared very much. They didn’t want their children exposed to her kind. She remembered the hushed whispers and the icy glares. As she grew older the whispers became louder, the children less friendly. Soon she became ostracized. No one would speak to her unless it was to hurl insults. Despite this, she was happy. Her parents loved her so much, and they told her the others did this because they didn’t understand, to just give them time. Eventually they would see the good within her and would come to love her just as much as they did. But they never did. Her happiness only seemed to infuriate them more. So much so that they decided her parents must be punished for bringing such an abomination into this world. The realms were already plagued with too much evil. It was their duty to purge the lands of her and the ones who brought her life.

          One day a group of the villagers decided it was time to do what must be done. They came in broad daylight, weapons drawn and bloodlust in their eyes. Her father met them at the door, holding them back long enough for her mother to rush Allyna out the back. She could still remember her mother’s words as she pushed her out the door.
          “Run, my child! Run as fast as you can. Your father and I love you so very much, Allyna. You must always remember that. Know that your father and I shall not die in vain, if only we can save you. Promise me you will never look back, never be sorry for what happens this day and most of all never ever return to this village. Do you promise?”
          “Yes, mother, I promise, anything you ask of me. But… how will I make it without you? Where will I go?”
          Allyna could feel tears welling up in her eyes as what her mother was asking of her began to sink in. Her mother gently caressed her face, a look of sorrow crossing her face.
          “I’m afraid I don’t have those answers for you, my dear. I know you are strong enough to make it through, no matter what. Quickly Allyna, go!”
          With that her mother gave her a final kiss good bye and pushed her out the door. Allyna stumbled, but caught her balance and turned to look back at her mother one last time, only to see her form disappearing back into the house. Tears were flowing freely down her face now, but she began to run. She could hear shouts and the clang of metal upon metal, and then one death cry, and another. The sounds faded until finally she could hear nothing of the battle she knew was still waging in her home. She ran as fast as she could, knowing she would never see her parents again.

          She soon lost track of time, but she ran until her legs would go no more. It was nearly morning of the following day before she finally collapsed. She found herself deep in a forest, with no idea where she was or where she should go. She could figure that out later, all she wanted now was to sleep. She crawled under some bushes, concealing herself as much as she could and allowed herself to drift into a deep slumber.
          Thankfully, her sleep was dreamless and she awoke feeling somewhat refreshed. It was then that she realized how unprepared she was. She had no food or water with her; she was barely armored and had only a small dagger for protection. Fortunately she knew how to forage. She would be able to find plenty of food within the forest. Water, on the other hand, was another story. She had no idea where she was going to find some, but she knew she would, somehow. She would keep herself hidden, she thought, hopefully that would be enough to keep her safe. She groaned as she started to sit up and fell back into her position on her back on the ground. Her entire body hurt from her efforts the previous day. She lay for a few minutes more, then forced herself up. She had to get moving. The villagers would most likely be looking for her. She knew they wouldn’t go too far, though. Most of them had never been outside of the village. They would assume she had would not be able to make it on her own in the wilderness.
          Tears began to stream down her face once more as the thought of her parents suddenly entered her mind, of what they had done to them. How could the all loving, benevolent Tarin let such a thing happen to them? How could he let his own followers commit such an act? Now, here she was, merely fourteen and left to fend for herself in strange lands, with no idea what to do or where to go. This was the most wonderful god her parents had brought her up to have faith in? She had to no faith left. Tarin was gone to her, he was nothing.
          She shook her head, trying to clear these bitter thoughts from her mind. She forced herself to her feet, groaning as she slowly rose. She didn’t have time to think of such things now. She had to survive for her parents. They had sacrificed themselves so that she might have a chance. No sense in dwelling here, reducing that chance.
          And so, after foraging some berries and roots for her breakfast, she started to walk. She set a quick pace for herself. She couldn’t run anymore, but she could walk fairly quickly. She figured she would last longer that way, anyway. She foraged as much as she could along the way. With no destination in mind, she let her feet wander where they would.
© Copyright 2005 Kylisty (kylisty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/968584-Allyna