*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977531-Demon-hunter
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #977531
This is just a short story. Please review, it's the only way I can improve.
Demon Hunter
chapter 1

I’ve been a demon hunter for the last 600 years (don‘t get me wrong, I‘m human; but when you‘re in my business time doesn’t mean as much) and I’ve ‘banished’ thousands of demons and minor spirits from Beelzebub to Mestopheles! I mean, in theory, demons are immortal; the problem with theories is that they don’t always work the way theorists would like them too. If you kill a demon on Earth it does get sent back to hell, but if you kill a demon in hell, where can it go? So all I have to do is lure demons to Hull (a mystical place where the wall between hell and earth is so thin innocent tourists can sometimes get confused between the two) and BANG! They’re gone forever; I get paid by the lord or, rather, his ’representatives’ on earth give me a large sum of money. Yes life is easy as a demon hunter; that’s because demons make it so! Firstly they leave molten footprints wherever they go, secondly if any mysterious demonic names are written in green blood on a wall you can bet a demon had something to do with it and finally they always choose virgins! It is the biggest no-brainer in the world to track and catch a demon, that is, all except one. I’ve been tracking this one demon down for centuries and he always manages to escape just at the last minute and I’m sure I could kill him if I could just catch him! There’s elusive and then there’s just bloody annoying! The worst, worst thing is, I don’t even know his name. I write this now as an account of the hardest challenge I ever faced; my name is Vincent Tanoan and I’ve made it my life’s work to hunt and kill demons………

It was a cold, wet night in Prague as most are really. The rain pattered down on the roof tiles of great houses; at 12 o’clock midnight nothing disturbed the dark, oppressive silence. Nothing, that is, except the taping of feet on the cobblestones. As the noise made it's way all lights instantly extinguished in it's wake. When it reached the bottom of the street a patch of darkness shifted in the night and stepped out.
“Ah, my lifelong friend, I trust you have done what I asked of you?” growled the first figure in a guttural language.
“Need you ask Sss’iran? I have always attended to your needs, at least, whenever it suited me” the second figure chuckled, but this was in a very distinguished Victorian English accent, “But I fear your operation has become far, far too obvious my good fellow. And I think it prudent I left this particular little adventure while I can still draw breath!”. The second figure began to retreat back into the night but was stopped short when the first grabbed it’s arm and tore it back.
“NO! You come ba-” it started but was cut off midway. The second figure grew till it towered over the first, turning so dark to stare at it would hurt your retina, but it’s eyes were fires; fires of onyx that promised pain. In them was a blackness so dark to even glance at it would be too lose your soul!
“YOU FOOL! YOU DARE THREATEN ME, ME! I SAW THE WORLD WHEN IT WAS FIRST CREATED, WHEN EVERYTHING WAS SO PLIABLE! I PLANTED THE SEED OF EVIL IN THE HEARTS OF MEN, THE DARK WHISPERS IN THE CORNERS OF THE HUMAN MIND IS ME! YOU, YOU SAD PATHETIC PUPPET OF THE PRETENDER WOULD HAVE THE PRESUMPTION TO FACE UP TO ME!”, it boomed. As it's voice echoed across the continent it caused murders, adultery and general evil to all the places it touched. The first shrank back and whimpered as if it were a puppy being kicked untill the second shrank back to it’s original size.
“Now I take my leave of you, and I warn you, our professional relationship IS at it’s end. I suggest you flee now, back to whatever hole you crawled out of for I imagine that rather pathetic demon hunter will probably arrive soon and I doubt you would prove much sport even for his low standards.” It said as it reverted back to it’s original calm, distinguished accent. It calmly walked back into the night whistling Beethoven under it’s breath. The first turned to run but was stopped short when a bullet flew through the air and ended it’s sad existence.
“Ha, I can smell you demon, your close,” muttered Vincent with glee as he approached the corpse of the wolf demon and wrenched a tooth out of it’s deformed head for a trophy……...

Meanwhile, a few blocks away an immaculately dressed, middle aged gentleman wearing a silk black suit, complete with ebony cane and black top hat and bearing a rapier at his belt flashed into existence. With a small sigh and a shrug upon hearing the distant echo of gunfire he calmly stepped out of an alleyway into the ancient metropolis’s well lit, bustling night life………
© Copyright 2005 An abecedaric belesprit (the_fools_fool at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977531-Demon-hunter