*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977551-Demon-Hunter-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #977551
The second chapter to my growing story, I hope I manage to keep this up at this rate...
Demon Hunter
Chapter 2


Fires burned in the eyes of Vincent Tanoan; his lifelong obsession was close and he knew it. But in this crowded street how could he find him? He knew he was somewhere nearby but the heavy musk of the partying teenagers masked his already very faint scent. Vincent reached into his pocket and played with the tooth he had extracted from the wold demons head, with a sigh of resignation and, all the while muttering curses under his breath, he stepped into the shadows and was gone.

Just a few meters from where Vincent had been standing a middle aged gentleman chuckled softly and turned to leave down a back alley. Suddenly a rough hand grabbed his shoulder; he felt the metal of a blade at his back and a filthy hand was clamped over his mouth.
“Come on pop, you gotta be loaded with your clothes, give us your cash and we won’t hurt you... much huh huh huh,” grunted some abecedaric muggers. From the sound of the laughter the gentleman estimated he was surrounded by roughly four people excluding the mugger at his back. A bemused expression came to his face and he slowly grabbed the hand covering his mouth and shunted it away.
“What makes you think that I am ’loaded’, my clothes? They are but a token of the little dignity this. Poor. Old. Man. Has left,” he replied. The strong upper-class English accent somewhat disconcerted the muggers. But the leader, still nursing his hand, stared him in the eyes. It was about two seconds before he was forced to look away from the extreme pain behind his retina.
“What’s up with this guy?” he screamed tearing at his face. By this time the gentleman was laughing hysterically.
“Oy what did you do to our leader? I’m gonna kill you!” shouted one of them. As he approached his target the gentleman, in the blink of an eye, drew his rapier and brandished it. Then with a smile on his lips he jumped into the air, spun around and landed backwards behind the speaker. The mugger made a sad gurgling noise and fell to the ground gasping at his throat which was now gushing blood. The gentleman turned around and took a bow. Then, muttering some arcane verses underneath his breath, he took some of the blood into his hand and smeared a pentagram on the back of the felled mugger. There was a flash and the corpse stood up, it shuffled forwards towards it’s former comrades. Soon after the ensuing cacophony echoed through the night………

Vincent returned to his office in New York, he took of his standard inquisition over coat, his inquisition issue hat and gloves and hung them up on his inquisition issue hat stand. Then took a seat in his inquisition issue chair. He sat back and reflected on the events of the day, he’d taken the Poseidon express to Atlantis, took a wind elemental too El Dorado and then simply took a ride on Quetzalcoatl air too New York. One thing about supernatural travel is it’s very quick, he got to his office in under a minute from when he set off. It was night in Prague but in America the day was just getting started. The rest of his jobs had been nothing much: clearing out a coven of witches, three minor pagan gods and a wiccan ritual. All in all a rather peaceful day. He was just starting to relax when a call from his secretary interrupted his musing.
“Sir, we’ve got a disturbance in 18th century London, seems some lord dabbled a little too far into the occult and has been possessed by a middling level demon. Nothing to get excited about but any more ‘mysterious’ disappearances and it could change history” buzzed the intercom. Contrary to popular belief neither history nor the future is definite, it’s always changing. Even the past is being lived out for all eternity in an infinite number of different ways; it’s surprising how even the smallest things can change the world. Any major disturbances can seriously disrupt things though, such as modern day descendants disappearing. To every normal person it was as if they had never existed but it causes one hell of a lot of paperwork!
“Must I deal with it Sheila?” Vincent asked in a resigned tone.
“I’m afraid so sir, it appears as if the Pope asked for you himself”, she answered.
“There’s no rest for the pious I suppose” he chuckled. Then after only a moment of rest, Vincent put on his inquisition issue overcoat, his inquisition issue hat and gloves and stepped into the time portal that suddenly materialised by his desk. Vincent shielded his eyes as he stepped out into the world, that is, out into the 18th century world………
© Copyright 2005 An abecedaric belesprit (the_fools_fool at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/977551-Demon-Hunter-Chapter-2