*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980083-A-Girl-Named-Desire
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #980083
A little girl looks for her mother, who is right in front of her eyes yet unseen.
A little girl sat outside under an old willow tree on a warm spring day. The wind blew gently moving the little girl’s hair, while she picked up a dandelion in its seed state. She blew the seeds off. “I wish my mommy was here,” she said.

This little girl’s name was Desire. Her mother died a year ago on that warm spring day.

The sky was a beautiful bright blue as she looked up at it for but a moment. She saw a hawk fly overhead. Her hand moved to pick up another dandelion, and a butterfly landed delicately on it. “You’re a pretty little thing aren’t you?” she spoke softly to the butterfly as it flew away.

Her eyes closed as she leaned back against the tree with a sigh. “Mommy, where are you?” She silently wept as she wished so hard that her mother was with her.

The clouds grew dark; it was about to storm. A rabbit hopped away into a field in the distance as Desire opened her eyes.

“Mommy!” She cried in a last fit of hope. When she thought there was no answer, thunder struck in the distance.

Desire began to walk home. She had seen her mother that day. Her mother was the hawk, the butterfly, and the rabbit in the distance. Desire never noticed.
© Copyright 2005 Luna Wolfe (lunawolfe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/980083-A-Girl-Named-Desire