*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983192-The-Death-of-Silence
by Loki
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #983192
The first piece I wrote after my book was published.
The Death of Silence


My dreams are shrouded in steel and shrapnel, lacerated in self hate, deprecation; brimming with blasphemy.

You, the steel, and pain, the shrapnel; the book is closed, but the bell rings and another round has begun. Seven years of fighting has led to this: another fight. Follow me again, but only if you wish. I make no guarantees. I can’t ensure a grand finale, nor give promises of secrets yet to be revealed, but maybe you’ll come along knowing that. The greatest part of a story is almost never the end, anyway. The great tales are always about the journey, are they not?

The reward shall be greater than the distance that separates the saints from the sinners – hear the curse, as the angels weep. As I look through the veil, loves lost as well as lives, I realize that with every story, the telling has always been well worth and greater than the ultimately heartbreaking end. I have been destroyed countless times, by many of you, it’s true. But that does not mean that I did not and do not still love each and every one of you; and still, I regret not a single moment of it.

Fruition will come. Fear not, for it was never said that this would be easy, only that it would be worth it. My children, if I have touched you in any way or helped you at all, I realize that therein lies my worth. I have always only hoped to reach one person and help them live a little easier, to identify with one sentence, to realize one thing:

I am not alone.

Well, here I am. Not submerged in depression, but rather…inspirational, at least for the moment. I hope that you are proud. I’ve learned something, whether it’s enough or not. “What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger”, and all those other cliches, they mean nothing now. Now, there is only the telling. I do not care to know how it ends.

Cynicism rears its head once more. You thought I had changed. But you forget what I’ve said. Every fight leads to another fight. It has to be this way. If nothing else, if you conquer everything else in your path, you still must fight to survive, and we all know what happens if you throw in the towel on that one.

So let’s get on with the story, if it pleases you. Just don’t hope for a happy ending, or even an ending at all. Endings are cruel, heartless, merely a goodbye I do not wish to speak. So what do you say? Will you come with me still, down the beaten path? Will you hold to me as I spread these wings?

Will you fly with me?
© Copyright 2005 Loki (the_angel_loki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983192-The-Death-of-Silence