*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983352-Lost-Soul-at-Church
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Religious · #983352
A soulmate who stole her soul
This is a account of one woman's longing to meet her soulmate. Not in the club, not in the bar, but in the Church.
Church...every Sunday across our influential country we celebrate our faith, our values, and our hope in a heaven above.
People go to church for many different kinds of reasons. Some come to share their faith with their family. Some come to find a family.
My family has a rich heritage concerning church. My grandfather and grandmother were missionaries in the jungles of Haiti. My own father is an ordained minister. Now I hope to pass down this heritage to my own child.
Church is so many different things to different people. However, it is not a social club. It is not a night club with the best instruments and entertainment. It is not a singles dating organization. As a woman I thought my soulmate would have to share my own ideas of what happens to your soul. Therefore my radar was out to find the soulmate of my dreams.
I started volunteering to sing in the Worship Choir. I have been singing all my life. I met this man the night I started choir. He was tall, neatly dressed, and sophisticated. The whole package. I knew I was in the presence of someone.. someone I had to find out about.
A few practices later a lady leaned in and whispered in my ear.." He broke my friends heart..he's a spiritual man.." For some reason I did not focus on the "broke my friends heart" bit.
"He's spiritual.." I thought. He's tall, 'sophisticated, and spiritual. I had won the jackpot of soulmates.
One night I mustered up enough nerve and dialed his phone number. I had been given a list of all the choir member's phone numbers. This phone call led to what would become many conversations.
When I look back I wish I would have paid attention to the "he broke my friend's heart."
I realize that we have selective hearing. We chose to listen to what serves us most.
Over time I came to know that he worked as a medical physicist. With my education background I had to do alittle research. I typed in "physicist" under an search engine and the name "Albert Eienstein" came up. It was then that I realized he was not only spiritual and sophisticated but now he was brilliant.
The church I attended started a Drama Ministry. They would take a year practicing for a faith-based play. He(Mr. Soulmate) had a major role. I got a singing part. It was alot of fun practicing together. Our roles would dance together in the script.
When I was finnishing my degree at a local college I had to pass a math course with a grade of "B" or above. I had never got an A on a math test until he began tutoring me. He was a source of motivation. He knew math in a way that most people didn't.
On the night of our performance at church I sang a duet. This was the one time I saw him open up to me. As I was walking back stage he commented on how well I did. I dodged him and changed the subject. I told him how well I thought the "entire performance went."
I always thought about him and sincerly hoped our friendship would blossom. However, it seemed we were never on the same relationship clock. When he was making a move I stepped back. When I was making a move he stepped back.
I thought of him often as I went about my day. I felt like I was falling madly, head over heels in love with him. He was everything I dreamt I would find in a soulmate. I just wish that I was not so eager. He broke a woman's heart and now it seemed the spell had been cast on me...in church?
I was different...or so I thought.
My going to church changed. It became all about being with this man. I would spend hours shopping looking for the perfect outfit that would get his attention, his approval. During choir practices my attention was towards him.
My soul was trusting in the wrong things. Sometimes people hurt us at church. I have heard of people calling church members hippocrates. We think that people in church are not suppose to hurt us. Well..they do and...He..Did!
I stopped going to choir practice. I stopped calling him and having contact with him because he broke my heart.
With prayer and faith ( the things I use to center around church) I moved on. I hope that I never use church the way that I had during this relationship. I hope I never choose to make finding my soulmate..more important..that renewing my soul.
© Copyright 2005 electricplundge (heavenjazz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983352-Lost-Soul-at-Church