*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983488-walk-among-humanity
Rated: ASR · Poetry · Friendship · #983488
Epistle for a friend in prose poem form.
Epistle to Russell

“walk among humanity”



         Walk among humanity, inhale deep their spirit, for mere appearances will disappoint.

         You were fortunate, Russell. You had a father who understood this truth: all humans are merely flesh covering spirits. He choose to look within.

         How many times do your thoughts go back to the day he stopped and chatted with a man unknown to you? You asked and your father answered that he had recently arrested him. Yet, he acted as if he'd found a friend. That answer has guided you for many years. A simple conversation between a criminal and a cop; not much difference there! You learned a lesson few have pondered.

         Share your wisdom with your son as father shared with you! All flesh merely hides the spirit within and it is to that spirit that we can choose to speak. Heart knows heart, while body and mind are confused by difference of color, taste, smell, touch or melody.

         Hear the internal song that blossoms from within. Some soar with the descant. Some anchor us with the profound notes of the bass. All sing. Our lives are but a spiritual choir of hearts beating to the drum, the ebb and flow of Earth itself. We sing from our earthly graves to sky, our joy carried by the winds of change to celestial heights. We lament, our tears shed from encumbered clouds, borne by streams to the Ocean of Reunion.

         At times it may sound a cacophony to ear. But in their hearts, the love is always there. And at times it seems it never ends. It never will. But, as your voice was added with your screams at birth so it retires with sighs at your passing to another realm.

         So sing the song of the living, Spirit! See the notes in every melody you greet. Catch the fragrance of their love; discard the rest. Taste the variety of all this physical plane has to offer. Touch their hearts and know that they will touch you too.

         Sing Russell. Sing your own song. Sing it strong so all will know it in their hearts. Peace and love to you, your wife and son.


Kåre Enga © 2004

catalogue number: [160.762]
januar, 2004.


Note: for Russell Barone of East Aurora, NY. This is more uplifting than I usually write, more like a sermon. Since writing this, his wife Amy has given birth to a daughter, Scarlett Rose. Their son Russell Alexander is two.
© Copyright 2005 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/983488-walk-among-humanity