*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987306-Reason-For-Life-Contest-2-Sunrise
Rated: E · Essay · Contest · #987306
Contest. Reason for Life. Sunrise
 Reason For Life Contest. 2. Sunrise  (E)
Contest. Reason for Life. Sunrise
#987306 by autumnlady

The darkness prepares to fade.

I am sitting comfortably on my balcony, eagerly anticipating the birth of a new day. The atmosphere is silent, still and lightless. Not unlike an unborn child in a sleeping mothers' womb, I feel warm and peaceful. I watch and wait.


It's almost as if the earth is holding its breath expectantly. Gradually and almost imperceptibly it grows lighter. The stars fade and the moon pales. Still the earth holds it's breath. I can see subtle outlines now. Silhouttes of trees and hills and houses. I watch and wait, relishing the privilege of being part of the magic and mystery of the first blush of morning. With a gentle sigh the earth releases it's breath. The breeze is cool as it caresses my face. Growing lighter now I can see more clearly.

A rustle in the branch overhanging the balcony momentarily diverts my attention. A small brown bird looks at me sideways and chirrups loudly, it's shrill call shattering the silence. Another bird replies and they bid each other good morning. Other birds from afar join in the joyous welcome of a new day. A cacophony of birdsong heralds the beginning of the dawn. Lighter still now, I can see the rays of light rising up and over the hillside.

Sunrise!

Beautiful hues of orange and yellow and blue illuminating the green grassy knoll. The street lights and house lights are extinguished in deference to the dawn. The dew on the grass glistens in the hazy light and a myriad rainbows dance to the birdsong. Individual trees awaken and sway in their own rhythm to the dance and music. Each branch reaching impatiently toward the giver of light.

Colours everchanging. The sky, now the palest pink, cloaks the scenery in a warm loving embrace. The birds, hungry after the long night fly busily, twittering as they search for food to break their fast. The leaves gently buffered by the breeze shake off their slumber and reach toward the light.


Suddenly, an intense brightness makes me blink. The bright yellow gold disc has risen above the horizon. Quickly and authoritatively the sun has vanquished the dark. Bright light floods the valley. The grass shrugs off its rainbows and stands upright looking to the light. Nature has awakened from its slumber. The hills and trees and birds bathed in the glorious sunlight. It is daylight now and the earth can bud and grow and thrive.


I thrill at the thought of each dawn. From the rest and respite of the dark, dark night, to the renewal and revival of the bright, bright light.

Each dawn creates a new beginning.

Each dawn renews life.

Each dawn we can start afresh, start anew.

A new day, a new life.
© Copyright 2005 autumnlady (autumnlady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987306-Reason-For-Life-Contest-2-Sunrise