*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/990064-Kaliras-War
by Shadow
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #990064
My first project that I'm really proud of. But trust me, I know it needs more work.
“Good, good Kalira. Now, adjust your stance slightly and get a good grip on your sword.”

Kalira nodded, wiped sweat out of her eyes, and did as she was told. She had barely gotten her breath back when her opponent attacked. This time, she knocked the sword out of his hands and put her blade to his throat.

“Do you mean to tell me that I caught you off guard? My dear Arath, you must be getting tired.”

“I guess so. I’m not as young as you, you know.”

Kalira laughed and threw a leather jerkin at her friend. She was re-tying her silvery golden hair in one of the complicated elfish styles, when the jerkin came sailing back at her. She finished with her hair and glared at Arath. She was about to say something that would have made her father faint if he heard her when one of her fathers servants came into the practice room.

“Out with the both of ye. I’ve got cleanin” to do in 'ere and you’re both needed in front of the king.”

The servant succeeded in chasing Kalira out, and Arath came soon after with both of their things. As they walked to the great hall together, they both reviewed what they had done wrong in their session. When they got to the giant oak doors, two guards opened the doors to let them enter.

King Gildor stood up when they entered, and Arath bowed while Kalira curtsied. Gildor motioned for them to sit in a set of chairs, and sat back down.

“Well daughter, how was practice? Do you wish to stop learning the warrior’s craft?” It was a serious question, and Kalira smiled at the challenge that was in it as well.

“Father...”

“My lord, she did wonderfully. She even managed to de-sword me. As for archery, she could have no better teacher than Galden. Thanks to him, she can shoot an arrow as good as any elf, and better than some.”

Kalira stared at Arath. She didn’t know he had been watching her archery lessons. She flushed with pleasure when he looked in her direction.

“Thank you,” she mouthed. Arath gave a little head nod. When she turned to look at her father, she saw pride in his eyes and a slight smile on his lips. She smiled at him, knowing that any guilt that her father had felt was now gone.

“Wonderful. Unfortunately, I have bad news. Lamath is gathering his forces and attacking our border. Arath, I need you to lead my men to the border between our lands. Both of my sons have died in this war, and you have become like a son to me. So please be careful. I know you defended your homeland to the last, so you are my first choice as a seasoned fighter." There was a slight pause. "I need you to leave before the moon is up.”

“Yes my lord. I will get Galden to come as well. We will be ready in a few hours.”

Gildor nodded and then turned to Kalira.

“I need you to go west with the remaining women and children to Wesdel. If the Elves cannot protect you...” Gildor did not finish the thought.

“Father, I...”

The look in Gildor’s eyes-the look that said he didn’t want to lose his daughter the way he had lost his sons-made her go quiet.

“Yes sir.” She whispered.

“I need you to guard those who are helpless Kali.”

Kalira looked at Arath for support, but he was gone. She stood and went out, wanting to go, but whether it was to go to Wesdel or the battlefield she wasn’t sure. She decided to see if Arath would take her, it was worth a try. She soon found him deep in conversation with Galden.
Being an elf, Galden heard her approach long before Arath did.

“My lord, Kalira would like to speak with you. I think our conversation can wait.”

There was a light in Galden’s eyes as he walked by her to go say goodbye to his sister Brenia, who was leaving with Kalira.

“Hello Kali. What can I do for you?”

Kalira stared at Arath. His wavy brown hair, the whiskers that made him look scruffy and dignified at the same time, and his soft blue eyes that could go hard as stone when angered. He coughed to get her attention, and she blushed.

“Oh, sorry. Please Arath, let me come with you. I’m one of the best fighters left, and you know it.”

“Kali you know I could never ask that of your father, even if I was willing.”

Arath, a pained look in his eyes, started to turn away.

“What about the others?” she asked quietly. Arath turned to face her. ”They fight beside you, risking their lives, because they respect you and trust you. They love their country...and you...”

Now it was Arath’s turn to stare. His eyes held shock and sympathy for her, as well as something that she had never seen in his eyes before, but she knew he would not change his mind. Embarrassed she muttered an apology and rushed past him, heading into one of the castle towers. Arath turned to say something, but nothing came out so he could only watch her retreating figure. He sighed. Galden approached in enough time to see Kalira walk off.

“Come Arath, she will cool off. She is young and frightened, and in love.”

Arath stared at his friend, confused. Galden chuckled at the blank expression on Arath’s face, something that rarely happened.

“With you, Arath. Don’t worry, Brenia will be with her, and she will soon be safe in the land of my people. You will see her one day soon, and you can talk to her then.”

Arath nodded, not trusting his voice at the moment. The two went to the courtyard and mounted they’re horses. The men in the courtyard following him and Galden either mounted their own horses or got ready for a long walk. The men parted for Arath and Galden to head to the front. Sighing again, the prince of Arden rode to war.

***

“Brenia, I think I blurted out to Arath that I...I...”

“Love him?”

“Well, yes. How did you know?”

“I’m an elf. We are slightly harder to fool obviously than you humans.”

Kalira blushed and fingered the dragon necklace she was wearing absently. Brenia felt that she’d had enough embarrassment for one day, so she sat next to her friend.

“What did he do?”

“He just stared at me like I’d turned into a dragon or something. I finally just apologized and left, but I feel terrible now. What am I gonna do when I see him again?”

“I don’t know. We’ll see when it comes up. I’ll be with you, either being happy for you, or trying to hold you back.”

Kalira smiled, just as Brenia had intended. Neither one spoke and soon a comfortable silence enveloped the room, only to be broken by a giant mastiff running into the room. The dog slipped and slid along the slippery polished floor, and ran into one of the bed posts. The dog turned slowly, having learned his lesson for a time, and jumped on the bed.

He went up to Brenia, snuffed in her hair before being shooed away, and then went to Kalira and started washing her face with his tongue.

“Stop, stop please! Get off me you silly stupid dog, leave me alone. Can’t you see I’m trying to be sad here?!”

“Which is why,” Gildor said as he walked into the room, “I sent Brond here. He’s always cheered you up.”

Gildor smiled at the energetic dog, seemingly useless, he had endeared himself to the king and everyone else when he had killed two Orcs and a Ghol defending Kalira and her youngest older brother Stephen. He had proved that when needs called for it; the affectionate stupid pooch could be quite vicious.

Kalira finally fought off Brond, and stood up. Brenia smiled at the king as she stood and curtsied.

“Thank you,” she mouthed. Gildor nodded.

“Come Brond.” He said aloud.

The dog bounded over to the king, and proceeded to slide past him. After running into the wall, he managed to get to Gildor and lay down beside him. Gildor chuckled, and then looked at his daughter.

“Kali, I need you to be ready to leave no later than tomorrow night. Rumors of Lamath have come back to me, he plans to attack the city after overtaking the border, if not before then, and I want you to be gone long before then if that’s possible.”

Kalira nodded, but avoided her fathers gaze. Brenia knew what Kalira was thinking about, and she intended to stop it before it even started.

“I’ll keep an eye on her my lord. She will reach my lands safe and sound.”

Gildor nodded, and Kalira kept her eyes fixedly on the floor. Gildor stood there a while longer, then turned and left, Brond at his heels. Kalira looked around her, not saying anything about her thoughts, dashed or not. Brenia approached her with the traveling things that had been laid out earlier, and the two started to pack.

***

“My lord, the horses need to rest, as do the men.”

Arath looked beside him and saw Galden. Nodding, he held up his hand for the men to stop.

“We’ll camp here for the night. Those who rode, feed and water your horses first. I think that they deserve it after the workout we put them through, don’t you?”

Cheers erupted from the men, and everyone on horses dismounted and led them to one of the many manmade lakes set up around Valdun for just such an occasion. When the horses were all taken care of, the men who hadn't walked started to pitch their tents and make campfires to cook their food. Happy and content, they sat in groups and either quietly talked or sang camp songs and battle hymns.

Smiling, Arath went into his own tent. He opened up one of his packs, and, tied around a blade he thought he’d forgotten, was a necklace. On close examination, he saw that it was Kalira’s, and what was more, it was her favorite necklace, one she never took off. It was a dragon made of white gold, a very precious metal that elves received from the dwarves that lived in the Draken Mountains in the land of Airsul, east of Valdun. The dwarves mined it with the permission of the resident dragons, which in turn received fine jewels and a third of the white gold found. The agreement suited them both, but made white gold hard to come by for the other races. This necklace had been given to Kalira by Galden and Brenia’s mother, before she died. Galden had never wanted to speak about it, so Arath never learned how the fair immortal had died. The dragon had sapphire eyes and emerald wings, and it was holding a ruby in its fore claws. Arath unlatched it from the blade and put it around his neck, holding it in his hand and wondering both why and when Kalira had given it to him. Protection? Love, if what Galden had said earlier was true? And when had she put it in there? He just didn’t know, but he would wear it until he saw her again since he knew it was what she wanted.

Just then, Galden walked into the tent, his eyes immediately going to the dragon pendant. A brief smile came to his lips, but then his face grew serious.

“I thought it might have been only a girl’s fancy for her teacher and friend, but now I’m not so sure. It must have been hard to give that up, especially after your last meeting. I saw her slipping your blade in the bag before the servants came for your things, I assumed it was because she had noticed that you had left it out and knew it was your favorite. I see now that that was only partly the reason.”

Arath smiled slightly, both at the thought of Kalira slipping into his room to give him his blade and a gift, and the seriousness with which Galden gave the matter. He motioned his friend to sit on a cloth chair, and did the same after he’d come up with a meal and ale for each.

“Any news my friend?” he asked as they ate.

“The battle still rages, but the men of Valdun are slowly succumbing to the force of Lamath. If we do not get there soon, I fear that we will not be reinforcements anymore, but the army. Yet for all this sad news, Valdun is still strong. They give ground grudgingly, and Lamaths forces pay dearly for every inch they take. The men fight until they can fight no more.”

“That is good to here. I only wish that I had more Aldenian men at my command. We have a grudge to pay back, and they would be a great help to us.”

“My kindred would be of a great help as well, but we must make due. More Valdun warriors would be accepted as well, in place of these old farmers and children.”

Arath could only nod. He stood and took out some maps he had brought along before sitting back down. Both Galden and Arath plotted their course carefully, looking for the quickest route as well as planning their attack. Well into the night, Arath finally rolled up the maps, plans made. Galden wished him pleasant dreams and restful sleep before heading out to his own tent. Arath fingered the dragon necklace as he got into his “bed” and tried to follow Galdens advice and get some sleep.

***

“Kalira, your father wants to know if you’re ready to go. Thunderhoof has arrived and is getting saddled.”

Brenia looked at her friend, she was looking in her mirror, but what she was thinking even Brenia couldn’t tell. Her hand was on her chest, where her necklace usually was.

“Where is your necklace? You never take it off. At least, not in the ten years since my…mother gave it to you.”

Kalira looked at her friend, knowing ten years was nothing to an elf, and sighed.

“I gave it to Arath; I put it in his bag when I saw his favorite dagger had slipped out. I tied my dragon to it; I don’t really know why. I thought since it always brought me luck it would be good for him. I actually feel better knowing he has it.”

“Just like he feels better knowing you’re headed towards Wesdel. Are you ready?”

“Yes. My bags are all packed and by the door. I guess today is an appropriate day to leave.”

“Why do you say that?”

“It’s my nineteenth birthday today.” Kalira whispered.

“Oh Kali, I forgot. I’m so sorry, it’s just we’ve been so busy.”

Kalira smiled sadly. “I know. I only realized it when Thunderhoof wished me a happy birthday.”

“Well, happy birthday Kali. How does it feel to be nineteen? It was so long ago for me.”

“It feels like I’m leaving everything I know to go live with a bunch of beautiful people who never age and sing all the time. How long ago was it that you were nineteen?”

“About three centuries ago. Nineteen is still a baby to us elves, but I guess now I’m about your age to my kind. Strange isn’t it?”

“Very. Well, let’s get going, Thunder is getting impatient.”

Brenia laughed and got one of the packs by the door. Kalira got the other one and they headed downstairs. Brenia sent silent thanks up to the heavens that her friend was practical, only bringing what she needed instead of trying to bring everything, such as the noble ladies who had left earlier that summer. The two girls walked down three flights of stairs, talking about horses and the hardships of a journey such as this, until they reached the busy courtyard. Thunderhoof, a large black unicorn stallion with a silver horn and hooves, neighed a greeting as the two entered the stables.

~How are you my friend? He mind spoke to Kalira.

~As well as I can be in these circumstances. Where did they find you?

~Ah, deep in Lorewood Forest, the Elven woods in the north. I got here about an hour ago, slightly after I told you happy birthday. How is Arath? I have not seen him around and he usually makes a point to come tell me hello even though I only mind speak to you.

~He is leading some men to go fight at the border. Both he and my father refused to let me go, and Brenia is making sure that I do not go of my own account.

~I could outrun her horse if you wanted me to.

Kalira laughed, the image of Brenia and her horse Alderoth falling behind the unicorn lord. Thunderhoof was now head of his clan, and a wild unicorn. Kalira had earned his friendship, and love, when she had saved him when he was but a foal and had gotten his horn stuck deep in a tree.

~No my friend, both she and Arath would never forgive me. It is a nice thought though, thank you.

~Anytime, my friend.

“May I ask what’s so funny?” A deep voice asked behind the princess, interrupting the silent conversation.

Kalira turned as Gildor came in and gave his daughter a hug, and then, to Brenia’s surprise, gave her one as well.

“Thunderhoof was only telling me that he could outrun Alderoth and join the front lines if I only asked him, but I said I must respect your wishes. Thunderhoof snorted and Kalira smacked him gently on the nose, not repeating what the unicorn had said. Kalira turned back to her father.

“I shall miss you father, Brond as well. Also, it’s my birthday today so maybe you could give the soldiers a break and celebrate it with them since I will be gone?”

Gildor nodded and hugged his daughter again. It was the hug of one who was losing the last child he had, and he could do nothing to stop it except to send her away. Kalira returned it in full, forcing herself not to cry.

“I will miss you Kali. The castle will seem gloomy now without you, but we will have a party to remember you, and it may bring joy to us in a future with little joy in it. Be safe, and try not to do anything foolish.”

Kalira smiled, and mounted Thunderhoof. Brenia threw the packs on Thunderhoofs back and mounted Alderoth.

“I’ll try father. I love you...goodbye.”

Both Kalira and Brenia motioned their steeds forward, and they left the stables at a walk. When they reached the courtyard, they went into a trot, soldiers moving aside to let them pass unhindered. The caravan had left earlier, and was about two hours ahead by normal horse standards, a half an hour by unicorn and elvish horse standards. Their mounts broke into a canter as soon as they past the gate. Kalira had this horrible feeling that she would never see her father again, and she didn’t like it. Urging Thunderhoof to go faster, she tried to outrun her fear, and left Brenia floundering to catch up.

***

Arath woke early, and felt something nagging at him, but didn’t know what. While trying to figure it out, he got up and fixed himself some breakfast. While he was eating, Galden walked in.

“Good Morning Arath”

“What’s so good about it?” came Arath’s grumpy reply.

“Still not a morning person I see. You’ll feel better after you eat, you always do.” He replied laughingly. He had known Arath to long to take offense at anything his friend did or said.

“What’s good about today is that it’s Kalira’s nineteenth birthday today, or had you forgotten? You know, she’s at the marrying age now.”

Arath's mood improved at the news. “Well, let’s toast to her health then. I wish I’d remembered yesterday so I could have said something to her.”

Galden noticed with a slight smile that Arath made a point of avoiding the last comment. He also knew that Arath had remembered yesterday, it was just that he didn’t know he’d be leaving, and hadn’t had time to say anything when he had. The only reason he’d forgotten today was because his mind was still fogged from sleep.

“Do we move out today, or stay and celebrate?”

“We will move out, celebrate when we make camp again tonight. I don’t want those men at the lines to be alone longer than they have to be.”

“As you wish, my lord.”

Galden bowed and turned to go alert the camp, knowing Arath would be ready to go as soon as he’d finished eating.

“Oh,” Arath called to him. He turned around at the entrance. “Be sure to call me Arath from now on, I get enough my lord from the men, I don’t need it from you. It makes me feel too much like my father.”

Galden nodded and left chuckling, ready to start another busy day. Arath sat in his tent, eating absent mindedly, deep in thought. None of it being about the upcoming battle.

***

Kreptor, the capital of Arden, had fallen to Lamaths forces. Ardens people, including prince Arath, had fled into either Valdun, Airsul, Wesdel, or the soon to fall Faleri. Arath had been sent to live with King Gildor, a close friend of his father King Aradeth, who was captured in battle before the fall. Many came with the prince, and many died along the way, for it was a harsh winter, and only got worse as they traveled. Even Arath got sick towards the end, though not nearly to the extent of some. After months of long tribulation, they finally made it to Galhadra, the capital of Valdun. Gildor was waiting for them by the front gate, his two sons and daughter waiting with him. Arath walked tiredly up to him, still feeling the effects from his illness, and gave his name. He then sank to his knees feeling the fever coming back in force. He immediately felt cool, soft hands on him, and looked into the restful green eyes of Gildors daughter.

“It’s okay,” she said, “I’m here, I’ll help you. My name is Kalira.”

He’d tried to say something, but ended up only groaning. She smiled at him nonetheless. She was fifteen at the time, and he was twenty-five. Between Kalira and her oldest brother Sean, they got him into bed. While he was bedridden, Kalira took it upon herself to take care of him; feeding him and singing to him to calm his feverish mind and help him sleep. Whenever he woke, she was always there. All he had to do was look in her eyes and he felt his pain and fear melt away. During one of these times, the one clear thought that ever made it through his feverish mind was that he loved her, and he never let that go, even though he felt many times that they could never be anything but friends. He never told anyone, but Galden, whom he knew from his days in Alden, had known anyway. He contented himself by watching her grow from a girl mature beyond her years, into a young woman, and finally due to the war and death of mother and brothers, into a woman. During all that time, his love for her had only grown, but neither he nor Galden said or did anything to show it being more than friendship. It had never entered his mind that she loved him back, but again Galden had known, though he kept it secret.

At least, that was the way it had been until he left, and foolish him, he didn’t say anything to her about it, just let her think that she’d made a fool of herself. If he never came back, she would never know. He vowed silently that he would come back, and when he did, he would tell her everything about the way he felt when he saw her again.


Horns blew, and Araths thoughts were interrupted. He packed up his remaining things, saddled Ryder, his horse, mounted, and joined the troop. He fingered the dragon around his neck, sparing one more thought for Kalira, and then put all his energies into traveling and fighting.

***

“Kalira, wait up!” Brenia called. Kalira had taken off so suddenly that Alderoth never had a chance to catch up. Brenia hadn’t really tried, letting her friend work off some of her frustration. Thunderhoof slowed, and Alderoth picked up speed, easily catching up now. When they reached the unicorn and his rider, they stopped.

“Feeling better?”

“I guess so. Sorry I took off like that, I just had to get it out of me.” Kalira took a deep breath. “I’m better now. Let’s go catch up with the caravan.”

The girls rode at a canter, their mounts tirelesly eating away the miles. They didn’t know it, but the king and some of the soldiers watched them leave, relieved that Kalira had stopped, not knowing she was only getting rid of her frustrations. The king and the men watched until the girls were out of sight then they went back to the business that needed to be done. The girls rode for an hour, and soon caught up with the end of the caravan. They rode to the head of the column, cheers following them. Thunderhoof tossed his head, and Alderoth started to prance, glorying in the praise. Kalira laughed; waving to people she knew and shouted a hello to a few close friends. Brenia smiled and watched her friend, relieved that Kalira seemed to be doing well. When they got to the head, they searched out the caravan leader. They found him helping his wife wash the many clothes being brought along.

“My lady, it’s so nice to see you. Come in, make yourself comfortable.”

“Thank you, sir. Can Lady Brenia or I help in any way? As long as we’re on this trip, we want to be seen as being no better than the next person, just better fighters than most.”

The caravan driver stared at Kalira. The nobles he’d had to take earlier had made sure he knew that they were noble and that they should be treated as such. Of course he did no such thing, and the complaints had never stopped. It seemed as if the princess knew that and was trying to make up for it. He smiled, pleased that both she and her elf friend were willing to do a little work.

“You may call me Arnales, my ladies.”
They both smiled and curtsied while he bowed. Brenia saw his wife roll her eyes at her husband, but offered the two girls a friendly smile, then showed them what they could do while Arnath went about his duties.

***

“My lady, you should not be doing a working mans job. I had only planned on you washing clothes and caring for the children.”

Kalira smiled at Arnales, then went right back to helping to free the stuck wagon. The caravan had moved swiftly without any problems for two days, and was now a few miles away from Arden’s border. When they had started to turn west to go to Wesdel, One of the wagons had gotten stuck in a hole that had been dug in the ground. The wagon had turned out to be one of the heaviest since it held the food and some of the heaviest baggage. Now all but the youngest and oldest were trying to free it; the women who were unable to help bringing drinks and food to those working. Just when the most stubborn of them was about to give up, the wagon wheel came free, undamaged. There were many cheers and soon the caravan was on its way again, trying to get as far as it could before darkness forced them to stop. A sense of urgency was pressing on them to reach the Elf lands as fast as they could, and most were willing to travel well into the night.

Even so, camp was made soon after the last of the suns rays disappeared behind the horizon. Some complained, but no one made any move to carry on.

“It would be dangerous for us to continue on when we can see nothing. How many more of those holes would we drive into in this blackness? I promise that we will leave as soon as the sun gives us enough light in the morning. It would also be wise to set up a watch, this close to Arden’s border. Who knows if any of Lamaths scum has slipped in?”

Arnales proceeded to then set up the order for the night watch. People were soon bustling around, preparing to settle in for the night. Kalira dismounted from Thunderhoof and led him to the edge of camp.

~Go my friend, I know you want to. But if you wish to return tomorrow, come back an hour before dawn.

~Come with me Kali, be free with me tonight, and forget your troubles. I do not like to see you like this.

~I wish I could Thunder, but my place is with my people. Maybe in a happier day, or place. See you in the morning, and be careful.

~Who, me? Thunder nickered and touched his silver horn to his friends shoulder before trotting off into the night. Kalira watched her friend until even his silver mane and hooves were lost from view, and then headed back into camp; smiling when she saw a girl playing tug-of-war with her dog, or a brother and sister playing tag. Tonight, all seemed well in the camp. Kalira relaxed.

***

Arath and Galden were deep in conversation when they were interrupted by one of the scouts.

“My Lords, the battle rages only a few miles away, and we are needed desperately.”
The two men nodded and the scout left, going to alert the rest of the men. Soon, everyone was saddled and ready to go. Ryder was brought to Arath, saddled and ready to go. Galden was already on his horse, talking to the troop.

“Men, let’s show these monsters what we’re made of!”

The men cheered and Arath rode up to his friend’s side. Amid cheers and war cries, the reinforcements sped down the half mile separating them from the main force, eager to show Lamaths forces a thing or two. When they reached the battlefield, they paused only long enough to see how their side was faring and where they were. Seeing friends lying deadon the ground, they charged; angered, frightened, and willing to die if they must; a bad combination for Lamath and his army. The men already fighting renewed their attack, hope restored now that the reinforcements had arrived.
***

Thunderhoof was grazing peacefully when Kaliras mind scream ripped into his thoughts. He couldn’t tell what she was saying, the distance was too great, but he could tell she was in trouble, and more importantly, in a great amount of pain. Her cries were also growing fainter, so Thunderhoof ran for the camp as fast as his silver hooves would carry him. He strained to go as fast as he could, knowing that even the speed of a unicorn was useless at this distance.

Cursing himself for wandering so far, he focused all his energy into getting to that camp. He was going so fast that the landscape was a complete blur, so he shut his eyes. All at once, he found that he could go no faster, and that even a unicorn had its limits. He didn’t like his new revelation one bit.

Soon he reached the camp, now one big bonfire. He searched frantically for any sign of life, but especially Kalira and Brenia. He found Alderoth, slain by an arrow to the heart, and shrieked.

~KALIRA! He screamed as far as he could. Only silence. ~Kalira, please answer! Faintly, almost a whisper in his mind, he heard her reply.

~Thunder…must…need…Arath… with that, her mind voice faded away. He ran around the camp, slicing at any enemy he saw with his vicious horn, rage overtaking him. He slew many of the Orcs and Ghol that were plundering what remained of the camp, and even a Vampire that had foolishly tried to take him on; only stoping when he saw Brenias still form, sword still in hand, blood everywhere. He walked up to her, and found to his relief that she was still alive. She had a cut going from her left eye to her neck, bleeding profusely.

Thunderhoof rubbed his horn in the dirt to rid it of the blood, and then gently wiped the dirt away on his flank. He placed his now clean horn on the cut, and watched as it healed. He then called out to his kin for aid, knowing that they also cared for Kalira and her friends. After he received a reply, he lay beside the unconscious Elf to wait, knowing time was against him.

***

The fight lasted long and hard, but finally the enemy retreated. No one felt comfortable about this though, because it felt planned. Arath had many cuts and bruises, but he refused to have any of the field doctors look at him when there were other men who needed a doctors care more. Galden tried to force him to see one, only to find that Arath was in no mood to hear any arguments, even from his friend. The Elf left his friend, hoping that Arath would soon calm down. Arath had this feeling as if something was very wrong, and the more he tried to ignore it, the more it grew. He also knew deep inside that he could do nothing about it yet, so rounded up all his men and picked the fittest to set up the camp and gather those who were wounded or dead.
***
~Cousin, I am here. What is so urgent?
A purple unicorn with a mane of blue green and darker purple trotted up. She looked about the camp, then at Brenia.

~Ahh, Sweetberry. I hoped it was you answering my summons. Brenia, the Elf lying here, is in need of our help. I must go find Arath to tell him of our Kalira’s kidnap, and I need you to take Brenia to Wesdel. Maybe she can help us with that land. She is Kaliras friend, and defended her until the last.

~I would be honored to be her guardian, Thunder. You must hurry, Arath is many miles away. If you seek for Ryder, you will find Arath.

~Alderoth was slain; please do not let Brenia see him. Hopefully, she will recover from his loss.

~She will. I sense that she is still strong, so that is good. Now go on, you are needed elsewhere. Do not worry about Brenia.

Thunderhoof nodded and raced off into the darkness, searching deep in his mind for Ryder, also an Elvish bred horse who had chosen Arath as his rider. After long moments of searching, Thunderhoof found him some miles south. Altering his course slightly, Thunderhoof raced on. Thunderhoof had thought it foolish that any horse would bear a human when he was young, until he was saved by Kalira. As his gallop ate away the miles, Thunderhoof thought of the time when he was still a colt and the first time he had met the human girl with elf-like hair who would come to claim his heart.


Thunderhoof had foolishly charged head long into the woods, and since he was not paying attention, he had run right into a tree, jamming his horn deep into it’s flesh. Startled, he struggled for a while, and then grew still, crying for help. Wolves came in answer, seeing that the young unicorn was in no position to fight, so thus easy prey. Before they could attack, a young girl of thirteen or fourteen walked right past them and stood in front of him. She stared at the leader, said something to him, and soon the pack slinked off. She then turned to the young Thunderhoof and asked his permission to help free him. He could only neigh in assent, wondering what this human would want her for services.

She slowly turned his head and he felt the horn grinding away at the inside of the tree. Soon, the girl slowly started to pull as she turned. Inch by inch, the horn slowly started to come out. When it was free, he shook his head and she patted his neck.

~What do you wish in return for helping me little human?

She only smiled and turned to leave. He was so surprised by her reaction that he called for her to come back. She turned and walked up to him, stopping a few feet away.

~Why do you not ask for anything? You have saved my life twice today and yet you walk away from me.

~You talking to me was reward enough, little unicorn. But if you wish me to ask something of you, I will.

Thunderhoof nodded.

~I wish for you to be more careful, and maybe a little wiser. I would feel better knowing that you remain safe.

~That is all?

~Yes.

~Then I will offer you more than you ask. My name is Thunderhoof, son of Moonracer, Leader of my unicorn clan. For saving my life, I offer you my eternal friendship as well as protection from me and all other unicorns of my race.

~I thank you Thunderhoof. The girl curtsied. ~My name is Kalira, daughter of Gildor, King of Valdun. You have given me a precious gift today, and I promise to cherish it forever.

Thunderhoof walked up to her and drew the symbol for unicorn friend in front of her with his horn before placing it on her shoulder. He then stepped back and saw the tears shining in her eyes and the smile on her face.

If only she was a unicorn he thought.

~Whenever you need me or my family, all you need do is call. Good bye for now, Kalira.

~Good bye Thunderhoof. Until we meet again.

Thunderhoof then made a point of seeing Kalira every summer, not being able to bare to be away from her for to long. When Arath had come, Thunderhoof had seen a light in his friends eyes that he hadn’t been able to put there, so made a silent vow that he would prevent anything that would come between those two, even if it was him.

Sighing, Thunderhoof brought himself back to the present. He soon felt Ryder’s presence close by, and put on a burst of speed to close the gap.

***

Arath had been brushing Ryder when he gave a friendly nicker to someone outside. Right after that, Arath heard shouts of surprise coming from camp. The biggest surprise was hearing someone’s deep brassy voice in his head.

~ARATH! I need to speak with you at once. It is urgent.

A moment later a soldier ran up to Arath. “My Lord, there is a mad unicorn in the middle of camp, and no one can get near him. Please help.”

Arath looked at Ryder, who nudged him out. “Thunderhoof?” he asked. Ryder just pushed him out of his stall. Arath followed the frightened man outside, only to see that it was Thunderhoof prancing and rearing in place. When the unicorn saw Arath, he galloped up to him, stopping dead an inch away from Arath and the already frightened man.

~I have terrible news Arath. That voice in his head again.

~Thun…Thunderhoof?

~Yes, it’s me. Never mind that. Kalira was…she was just kidnapped, Arath. I was too late to save her...
© Copyright 2005 Shadow (shadowflame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/990064-Kaliras-War