*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/990276-The-Three-Citadels-1
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #990276
A story of liberation, mystery, adventure, imagination and a race across the Unseen Lands.
         A Letter From The Prince



It was morning in High Castle and Lord Attesborough sat at his high chair looking out at Attesberg. The buildings stood tall and sturdy, with the echo of night always in the air, and its translucent darkness hanging over the buildings like a great shadow. The maids were out with the brooms cleaning the stones of Attesberg for the arrival of the prince. The Lord sat lazily in his seat with his pipe in his left hand and too servants at his right.

Prince Attahl was Lord Attesborough's nephew, and with any luck, air to the throne of Attesberg castle. Their relationship was ever changing. Some seasons Attahl would visit his homeland every other day. Other times his arrival would be but dreams in the hearts of the maids who served willingly at his every footstep. For his visits were short and sharp, and always about trade deals between him and his uncle. He was a handsome prince and most men would look upon him with great envy. Wishing to have resemblance of his dark chiselled face with his strong eyes enclosed wherein like two glorious jewels, or loathing his strong arms and the mighty sword it wielded, with his red and green robes bringing light and loyalty to whomever they neared, or his stride which carried the victories of many a battle, or his pride which never faltered no matter how harsh or desperate the situation seemed. He was untouchable and untouched, never seeking but always searching, not gold but ever glistening, always wandering but never lost, never shrinking but ever growing. Or at least that was what the people of Attesberg said. All of which Lord Attesborough knows only too well.
"My lord," said his right hand servant, "Prince Attahl will be arriving shortly, shall I send for the Merrymakers?" The Merrymakers were the name given to the great party of cavalry and maids that would fill the streets with dance and song whenever an occasion of such importance called. And the arrival of Prince Attahl called for such an occasion.
"Bah! The Merrymakers, well if we must".
"They'll be down by the river on the third level; their trumpets will be ready for the arrival with the joy of song in their throats".
"Yes, yes, yes... be off with you. But I don't want them prancing around long after the prince has arrived; the citadels worth doesn't come from merriness alone you know, they is always work to be done."
"Hmm.. .yes, indeed there is". He said to the Lord leaving him with the sharpest of glances as he past eye contact and headed to the third level to prepare the celebrations.

The servant passed many halls and workshops on his way to the third floor. For it was this floor where the work was at it's heaviest. Only at the break of night where the workers ever allowed sleep. And they would rest on the balconies on the citadel enjoying the night view until daybreak loomed across the open lands and it was back to work.
"How is it that the Lord never shows excitement on such an occasion as the Prince Attahl coming to stay?" Asked the servant.
"To stay? This is the first I've heard," said a passing labourer stocking the shelves at a bar, "the longest the Prince has ever stayed at Attesberg is 2 days, and that's only when business is real important. Besides, he'll only head straight to that shabby tower".
"I should think so and I should hope not".
"Aye, well working up there on hand and foot all them hours would surely treat you to a spot of the old' eavesdropping once in a while".
"I should certainly think not! You would be surprised at how little I get told. I just get sent off from place to place on messages. Besides, I would never tell a labourer any insider information even if I knew any. I'd have my hands tied and my throat slit. Then fed to the dogs".
"Curse!," the labourers hand slid back over a stray jar, "then I'll just get back to my duties then aye!".
"Why is it that you labourers never cease to amaze me? You'd think with one being so busy you wouldn't have time to scrap around servants ankles like a begging dog scraping for information. Now just get on with your job and don't such as utter to me again". And with that the servant hurried along the streets of the third level trying to make up for wasted time.          The Merrymakers were a fickle bunch.

Attesberg was a great fortress-like structure that stood obediently on a lone hill some hundred feet high, built on six levels, each with their own command. The commander of each level were highly trained, intelligent, professional soldiers of the Lord and like everyone else, worked entirely under the Lord Attesborough's command. The maids and labourers were sent to work and maintain on all six levels, and those lucky enough would have the privileges to work on the peak on the citadel above the sixth level where the Lord lived. The others, such as cattle and crop farmers and other workers were sent to the second level where they would build families and increase numbers to keep resources from running low. It was a whole community within the walls of Attesberg. With work constantly being done.

However no workers or maids had the right to cross the citadels borders under any circumstances, that was only for urgent business or for trade reasons. The people of Attesberg kept themselves solitary. They were forced to by command of the Lord. But as long as things ran smoothly it was business as usual. Infact, the only exiting time at Attesberg was the arrival of the prince. And although most didn't care to admit it, the people of Attesberg prayed for the day a new ruler would take over the throne of Attesberg, they prayed for the day the prince would stay at Attesberg for good.

Under the command of the Lord they were never allowed out of the barren walls of the citadel, and they longed to feel the freshness of cool air and new lands. But for now they were like salmon struggling to clime a river and jump for freedom. Everyday was the same. Labourers struggling to keep up demands, maids cleaning and sweeping till their fingers gave way. All the while the Lord sat in his throne and have all the riches brought up to him. The riches that were so tirelessly earned by the workers of Attesberg, yet he would sit in his throne absorbing the wealth and ignoring the suffering.

Some time later the servant reached the small river running through the third level and met an array of cheers as the Merrymakers of Attesberg were entertaining the nearby crowd. For after a long journey the Lord's servant had finally tracked them down. For he, out of many of the Lords servants was his most faithful. And answered every command of the Lord and was his oldest servant. Serving at his feet for fifteen years. The people of Attesberg simply called him his 'right hand servant', because Attesborough needed him as he needed his right hand. His real name though was Celasus. He was a smart, arrogant, well spoken man who though little of everybody apart from himself and his master.
"She who cares to dance step forward," shouted a man standing by a large poll decorated with colourful tassels and streams of silver beads. He was a cheerful looking man with a red canoe shaped hat and a red and gold glittered suit (which was the usual dress of these people). And he was joined by fifty or so of the same breed; all Merrymakers and all here for celebration. "Surely there must be someone who wants to parade with glee. The Princes arrival will be of much more joy if we were to dance! Dance till our hearts content!".

At this point the servant's voice was sounding through the area: "Ah, there you are. The Lord has sent for me to come for you. There is no time to waste, dinner is being served at 3:00pm in the great hall and all those loyal enough will be welcome. Now we've not much time to get things prepared for the feast so if you insist on making the arrival an event then get yourselves down to the main gate sharpish. And I want all the mess to be cleaned up afterwards. All of it. The tassels, the confetti, the flowers, the decoration the lot! Not a single scrap shall remain". Everyone came to life at the fact that the arrival was nearing. It had been almost a year since his last visit and they all rushed to the main gate spreading the word to everyone as they went. In reality the only reason Attesborough was letting this hype take place was by popular demand. If the Lord would have his way he would send for the Prince to come to his tower in a darkened carriage through the back gate without any celebration, get the business done then get out. But thus far the Prince has always been greeted with the Merrymakers, it's become tradition.
"Dinner! Dinner did I hear the servant say?" questioned the jolly man with the canoe hat as he pranced to the gate, "never have I known the Prince stay for dinner at Attesberg. This is truly a visit to remember. But don't fret. My Merrymakers are always fit to celebrate an event as big as even this."

Masses of people were now making their way to the main gate at the front of the citadel and by one o'clock nearly the entire population was there. And all the work came to a halt for this spectacle. No machines were sounding, no farmers digging or no maids sweeping, the only sound was that of the peoples teeth grinding as they stood anxiously scanning the distant horizon for a glimmer of movement to see if the Prince was making his way to the castle. They waited there for over fifteen minutes more any sign of arrival.
"Huh..." there was a harmonic stun sweeping over the waiting crowd. There was movement. The rays of light that topped the horizon over the flat lands suddenly shimmered as a head slowly popped up. "Hurray!!!!!!" The sheer volume of their joy shook the very stone foundations of Attesberg and the birds shot off their perches in sheer fright. "Hurray! Hurray!"
"It's the Prince. He's come. He's come again". The shouts and roars of the people were deafening. Then the head became more wholesome and a clear figure was starting to immerge in the distance. But its form was not that of the proud Attahl. Something was not right. It seemed slouched, and much weaker. Its attire was not of traditional Prince wear. They didn't quite give off the array of the Princes that were so clearly seen from this distance. The rose red coat he wore which ran down to meet evergreen trousers and then his horse. His beautiful steed. A stallion in its own right. It would be unaffected by the journey and be sprinting down to the gate in a mammoth gallop. But the horse this unfamiliar figure was riding on retreated to a slow tiresome trot. So slow that it almost stopped.

Then panic and bewilderment struck the crowd. Something was indeed wrong and the shouts came to a steady halt.
"This is bizarre indeed. This strange rider makes his way to my castle in such a morbid state". Announced the Lord to one of his servants. "I can hardly make out who this person is. Surely it is not my nephew who finally decides to show his face after a year in absence only to show us such a bleak and dreary sight. This is not the sight of a man I expect to be doing good business deals with. How disrespectful to show up in such a state". As usual the Lord was observing things from his tower up top the citadel with his robe on and pipe in his hand, pretending to show no interest in the whole ordeal.

Then suddenly, in the crowd, a distressed and disappointed maid breaks the perplexed silence: "Who is this boy. This is no Prince?" The rider and his horse came to a halt some meters away from the archway. The crowd waited for him to answer the woman's question for it was indeed on all of their lips.
"Yes. I am no price," said a voice, it was so weak that it sounded like he used every nerve and muscle in his body to draw it out of his perched throat, "I have come as a messenger. I am afraid I have some disappointing news. The Price will not be coming today". At this line the devastation in the people's hearts was astounding. Never has the prince been late. Why isn't he here? Why hasn't he come? "I am afraid he has been delayed. But he has given me this to read to you.

“PEOPLE OF ATTESBERG, I HAVE HAD SOME DILIGENT BUSINESS TO
ATTEND TO. 1 AM WHOLLY SORRY FOR THE DELAY AND WILL BE ALL THE
MORE EXCITED TO SEEING YOU ALL TOMORROW. 1 ONLY HOPE MY
IMPEDIMENT MAKES TOMORROW'S VISIT ALL THE MORE SPECIAL. IF THIS
HAS HURT ANYONE IN ANY WAY THEN MY WHOLE HEARTED APOLOGY
GOES OUT TO YOU NOW. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE AND IT
WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. AND TO THE LORD ATTESBOROUGH I SAY
THIS; OUR BUSINESS WILL NOT BE EFFECTED IN ANY WAY BY THIS MISHAP
ON MY BEHALF, I HAVE STILL (AS I ALWAYS HAVE) A GOOD DEAL FOR YOU
TRADE WISE AND YOU'LL BE DELIGHTED WITH IT I'M SURE!
YOURS IN HASTE...PRINCE ATTAHL! Xxx"


"And are these words from the mouth of Attahl himself?" Shouts the Lord from his tower.
"They certainly are my Lord".
"Then if what is said is true I am glad to hear it. As long as things won't be too badly affected I have no complaints. Did the Prince say what time he will be arriving and what this business was exactly?" The messenger was about to shout back but his body collapsed and he fell off his horse and stumbled to the ground.
"Oh dear, this poor lad must be exhausted". Said a nearby maid falling to his aid. "We can't send him back like this he needs care".
"Very well, send him to the dispensary until he is well again. But bring him back to my tower as soon as he is able. I should like to interrogate him for further information concerning the Princes delay". And with this he flung back his robe and retreated to his highchair leaving the servant looking down from the balcony at the bemused crowd.

Meanwhile, down at the gates the crowds were slowly parting and bodies were finally retreating back to their homes. But there was still very much a big crowd at the gate. Most of them being disappointed Merrymakers, others disappointed maids. And they gossiped and moaned at the events that had just unfolded. But as the Prince said in his letter, this will make tomorrows visit all the more special. Yet still there were grunts and groans coming from the still baffled crowd. "The preparations may as well go down the drain". Some said.
"If he hasn't come today them I doubt he'll come tomorrow. What is a pokey letter going to make a difference for". Said others


Meanwhile at Attahl's home - Talisburn, the prince was awaiting the return of his messenger Goshua. It was a tense wait, for Attahl was anxiously pondering on Attesberg's reaction to his fairly rushed letter. "It was a rushed letter, written in pen over a rushed pencil manuscript. Though I do hope it got to them. That is if Goshua actually reached the citadel", the prince was saying to his assistant, "I really should have sent you out Duphos, you are much more agile than he on his mule".
"Yes but it was last minute stuff, you sent away the first person you saw. I'm sure everyone will understand".
"Yes but Duph-".

And at that moment Goshua's skinny frame could be seen in the distance with his trusty mule at his side.
"Well speak of Satan himself” said Attahl. "What took you so long!? It's been three days since I sent you out! You had me thinking they murdered you in anger. What news have you brought?"
"I'm sorry prince", Goshua was clumsily caressing his leg. "Just trying to get circulation sir".
"I care not for circulation. One would think you've been circling the world and stopping off at every citadel in the process".
"I'm sorry sir, they kept me for news and wouldn't let me go. I tell you - that Attesborough is one fierce individual. Surely he isn't the Lord".
"He is".
"Well I'd never have guessed it. First off I fainted at the front gate and fell right off old Ted here. And by the way... if that's the welcome that waits for you every time you arrive at Attesberg then you are one lucky Prince".
"Well I don't ask for it. They seem to enjoy my company".
"They frightened the life out of me when I saw them all. I couldn't imagine what their reaction would be when they saw me an old Ted coming up the gates never mind at the news I had for them. I thought they'd kill me sir, kill me I say".
"That was precisely my concern".
"Anyway. These maids came straight to me from the crowd and rushed me straight to a strange room full of beds and bottles of strange substances. Anyway, I presume it was a hospital. And I must have been there for most of the day because when they let me out those dense walls the moon was full in the sky. And then before I had chance to thank them for their care I was rushed off to the tower sir, the tower. And Attesborough was sat there on his throne perfectly in line with the door waiting for me. And his eyes were straight on me before the servant had the chance to close the door behind him sir. Oh it was so terrifying. He is one scary character".
".. .and once you were in there?" said Attahl, "did he ask you anything. Did he pressure you in to telling anything? Did you lie?".
"Oh he asked me questions alright. And he wouldn't let me go. He was asking me where you were, why you were late, who I was, why I was really here and everything!"
"And did you tell him".
"Not everything, but what I did tell him I told with honesty".
"To which of those questions did you answer to?"
"Well sir, if you can understand -"
"Which ones Goshua?" And with the most eager look he demanded the answer from the shaking messenger.
"Well all'st I said was that I was a messenger from Talisburn and that the prince sent me as a messenger, and then he came right up close to me and said if I was sure he didn't send me as a scout or a spy. And I said no sir, there ain’t no spies in Talisburn".
"And is that all you told him".
"Yes sir, I never told him why you were late or anything or nothing sir, I swear."
"Ok, have poise Goshua, you have spoken with honesty. And you know the secrecy of this situation and the real reason as to why I'm late and you know that it cannot be uttered to anyone at Attesberg and least of all the Lord. Because he would scatter as soon as he heard. But wouldn't anyone else do the same. And I should tell you that I'm not going to be proud when I do it. Or feel any pleasure or triumph when it's done. But it has to be.
"Everytime I go to that citadel I put on a brave face and pretend its all fine but deep down it kills me to see those people so miserable and caged in those walls. The reign of Lord Attesberg must end".
"And end it will!" Bellowed Goshua in response. For his experience with the Lord had hardly been pleasant. And these powerful words from the prince bade Duphos away with a sense of achievement at knowing the fate of Lord Attesberg. The fate that he would meet at Attahl's arrival.
© Copyright 2005 Archaic Torso (wakeupdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/990276-The-Three-Citadels-1