*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/991950-Im-a-Kitty
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #991950
A children's story dedicated to my cat Jaz
“I’m a Kitty!”

There once was a kitty that was very loved and well cared for by her owners. They were also very protective of their new kitty cat too. So much so, that they kept her inside to ward off evildoers and to avoid getting into fights with other animals.

This kitty's name was Jasmine, but her owners called her Jaz for short. She had the most beautiful almond shaped green eyes. She also had the most gorgeous shiny fur coat as well. It had many colors of orange, white, black and dark brown. For you see, she was a calico species of a kitty, but she didn’t know this. Matter of fact she didn’t even know she was a kitty!

Her owners had all sorts of pet names for her since she was a little overweight. But she was the cutest fat cat in the whole world! She was often called cute names such as a big “armadillo" or “possum” even a small "porpoise” sea creature. But all her nicknames weren’t just animal names. Why, they even called her names that didn’t have any reference to animals such as a “fat hamburger.” And sometimes they called her “pickle eyes” because she had the greenest eyes that looked like cute pickle slices. She knew her name was Jasmine, but she was very confused by all these other names. Her identity was somewhat hazy.

She lived up on a high-rise building and couldn’t see other animals just like herself. She did, however, see birds soar up high in the air by the glass windows of her apartment. Her owner pointed them out to her many times and referred to them as “birds". So she knew what they looked like and what kind of a species they were. She’d also seen goldfish too since her owner had them in a pretty fish tank with all sorts of plants, coral and fish of all colors. Her owner told her that they were called “fish”. She knew she didn’t look like the goldfish and she knew she didn’t look like the pretty winged birds.

A few times she walked by the full-length mirror and glanced at her reflection with wonder. At first she thought it was another animal and she tried to get in a fight with herself! She realized it was just her after all, but she still wondered what type of a creature she is. She definitely thought she was an interesting sort of animal.

She then wondered if she is a “Jasmine” species, but she realized that her owner had a name too and that name is “Penny”. Sometimes Penny is called a “Person” or a “Human being”. Jaz is very confused now about her true identity.

Once she even saw a few, big black dogs at the animal hospital that seemed to bark loudly. She knew she didn’t bark. She made a different sound, sort of a meowing sound. Poor Jaz kitty led a sheltered life and didn’t get out much to see her own kind. She was also very new to the vet world of medicines so she didn’t see many animals there either.

One day, Jaz planned to escape into the outside world. She just had to know what type of a species she was. Right when her owners came home and opened the door she went flying out like a torpedo! Her owners ran after her. They were very worried about their kitty and frightened that she would get lost or be in a dangerous fight with another animal. But Jaz kept running and finally she stopped for a moment to catch her breath and hid by some nice green bushes.

Jaz saw a cute little red creature crawling on one of the leaves. She didn’t know what type of a species this is and asked out of curiosity, “What kind of a creature are you?”

The bug replied, “I’m a little red and black polka dot ladybug. I am a bug species.”

Jaz then asked her, “Do you know what type of a species I am? I know I’m not your kind since I look different.”

The ladybug said in a shy little voice, “No I sure don’t, I only know that I’m a bug and I play with other bug species.” Jaz thanked her anyway and walked away sulking.

She then, saw a bright blue bird in the trees and decided to climb up to ask the bird the very same question. She clawed her way up the bark tree trunk and struggled to get to the top limb.

Jaz turned to ask the bird, “Do you know what type of a species I am? I know you are a bird because my owner always tells me so whenever you fly by our window. I know that I’m different than you.”

The bird replied, “Nope, I don’t know what type of a species you are. All I know is that I've been taught my whole life to stay away from your kind. You see, your kind loves to chase us and hunt us down. Sometimes you even kill us!”

Jaz in shock replied, “Oh I’m so sorry, I had no idea that I’m a horrible danger to you. I won’t kill you I promise. I just wanted to know what type of a species I am. Thank you anyway.”

Off Jasmine went to try and find her own unique kind. She looked everywhere and then to her amazement, she came across a strange looking bright green bug. It was big too and very frightening looking.

She asked him, “Excuse me Mr. Bug what are you called?”

“I’m called a grasshopper and I love to hop and fly over grass and flowers, it’s so much fun!”

“Oh I see,” replied Jaz. “That does sound like fun! You are a very green creature. You know my eyes are green colored, my owner Penny told me so. One time, I saw them in the mirror. I noticed you were the same color as my eyes.”

“Why yes indeed, your eyes are green like my body.” The bug said while studying up close.

“I was wondering if you knew what type of a species I am, and if you would be so kind as to tell me,” Jaz asked.

“Sorry to say, I really don’t know any species except for my own kind. Maybe you will find another animal of your kind to ask this question. I need to go now so I’ll be hopping along.”

“Okay there, grasshopper bug, I’ll let you roam. I’ll look for somebody else that I can ask.”

Jaz roamed everywhere and then up in the air she noticed a pretty yellow butterfly with dark chocolate brown dots on its wings. She ran after it on the silky green grass and chased it down. It was so much fun to chase! Out of the blue she leapt up in the air and grabbed it with both paws.

The frightened butterfly shrieked, “Please, please don’t kill me, I’m an innocent creature.”

“Sorry if I hurt or frightened you. I guess I just had too much fun trying to catch you. You are so beautiful, what type of species are you?”

“I’m called a butterfly because I love to fly.”

“That looks like so much fun, I wish I could fly like you can. I only can walk on all four paws. My owner has only two paws though, if that’s what they are called with humans.”

“Well I don’t know,” said the butterfly. “My, we are all such wonderful and different creatures, aren’t we?”

“Yes it seems so,” Jaz replied. “I just wish I knew what type of a creature I am. Do you know perhaps what I am called?”

“Hmm,” the butterfly muttered. “I really don’t know; you stumped me there! But whatever you are, you are a beautiful species.”

Jaz blushed and said coyly, “Thank you very much. I think I’m a very interesting looking creature, if I do say so myself. And I guess I think I’m beautiful too. My owner always tells me so. I just wished I knew what type of a species I am.”

“Well good luck to you on finding out. I’ll be seeing you around.” And off the pretty butterfly went to soar the town.

Jaz wandered the lonely streets and walked through many neighborhoods that she’s never seen before. She looked at her surroundings and decided to mark her territory by the use of her scent glands. She did this by rubbing the side of her mouth on buildings and stairways so she wouldn’t get lost and be able to track her way back home by her scent.

She found many bugs along the way and had fun chasing them and hunting them down. But, she was a good kitty and didn’t kill or eat them. She respected their wishes, but that didn’t stop her from having all sorts of fun with them. After all she was a kitty!

As she was walking down the sidewalk she spotted something in the far distance. She noticed it was walking in a similar fashion to herself. She wondered if it was a dog like she had seen at the vet before. It crept up a little closer and then to her amazement it was a creature just like herself! Her eyes popped out with excitement to see her own kind. Finally, she could put this curiosity to rest and find out who she really is!

The kitty cat came up a little closer and Jaz noticed it was a different color. It was an orange and white kitty, not multi-colored like herself. Jaz leapt up in the air and bolted with fury to try and catch the kitty. And then came to a screeching halt when she came face to face with this other animal.

“Wow, I can’t believe this,” Jaz said. “I finally found a species just like myself! I’ve never seen another creature just like me. You see, my owner keeps me indoors all the time. Please forgive me, but I’m a little overwhelmed with excitement. Now is the question that I’ve always wanted to ask. Do you know what type of species we both are?”

The orange tabby almost burst out laughing at Jaz’s innocent wonder. He’s never known a kitty like her. Usually most animals know what type of species they are. “Why my dear, you are called a kitty cat. You are a cat species.”

“Oh thank you so very much. I finally know now that I’m a kitty! This is so exciting,” Jaz replied. “How can I ever thank you?”

“You just did by your delighted enthusiasm, that’s enough for me. I really enjoyed helping you out.”

“Yes it’s been a great mystery for quite some time. All I knew, that my name was Jaz. This will be a day that I’ll never forget!”

“I’m so glad to help you. I hope I’ll be seeing you around soon. Right now I need to go home. I hear my owner calling me for my dinner chops.”

“I’ll be seeing you soon hopefully,” Jaz replied. “If I don’t happen to make it back outside again, I just want to tell you thank you again from the bottom of my heart. Who would of thought all this time that I am a kitty!” The orange tabby smiled and off he went to eat his supper.

And Jaz walked away proudly. She had a certain stride in her step that she’s never had before. She learned so much on this day. Not only did she know what type of species she is, but she learned what other creatures are as well.

She hoped that she didn’t worry her owners too much for being away for so long. Now it was time that she found her way back home from her long days journey!

The End

My cat Jaz
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2005 Michelle M (addicted2tz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/991950-Im-a-Kitty