*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/993378-Child-of-Darkness-Revised
by Jana
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #993378
This is the revised, and hopefully more complete prologue to my vampire novel. More soon!
“She must not be allowed to live,” the hooded figured spoke into the darkness. His companion shivered at the sound of the cold, hollow whisper. “She is a threat to our existence, she could destroy us all.” The wind whipped down the dark alley with a vengeance, taking with it anything lying idling on the ground. As it swept passed the two figures, the smaller of the two grabbed at the wall for support. The wind disappeared down the alley and screeched a final warning before vanishing.
“But she will have so much power…” the companion began, and was cut off sharply.
“Power? POWER?!!” The wind began to whip again as the hooded voice rose to a roar. “You know not whose side she will be on! If she is not pushed down the right path it could be our undoing!”
“But…but…” the shivering companion stumbled again clutching the wall, “what if we guide her master….she could be priceless to our cause! With her we might finally…..”
The haunting shadow of the dark one began to stretch; it grew and consumed the cowering man and enveloped the alley into complete darkness. “QUIET YOU FOOL! We are the only ones who know of her birth! You are willing to risk everything by babbling this knowledge so lightheartedly?” The smaller man shifted uncomfortably, pulling is black coat tighter around his face, “I mean no harm master…”
The hooded figured leaned down close to the small trembling man, the black hood brushing his sweaty blonde hair. A black gloved arm shot out of the cloak; the silk clad fingers began to run along the side of the man’s face, petting him almost lovingly. The man closed his eyes and leaned closer inviting more attention. The master began to speak in a voice so soft and tempting, that the small man parted his lips expectantly.
“Of course you meant no harm….you never do.” The wind stopped abruptly and the alley became still as if all life had been sucked out of it. The sounds of the city were gone, there was only the ragged breathing of the small man. The master’s voice began to harden; it turned to ice and lashed out like a blade severing flesh from bone.
“If I allow her to live…she will be your responsibility.” Long, sharp nails ripped through the cloth of the glove resting on the man’s trembling cheek, “If you fail me…I WILL TEAR OUT YOUR HEART!”
As the last words were spoken the master’s hand came down sharply, leaving three deep slices on the left cheek of the small man, who was now crying. The tears streaming down his face began to mix with the blood pouring out of the gashes on his cheek, and flowed down his neck. The man sank to his knees, eyes wide in shock and stared up at the dark creature above him.
“You will protect her, and when she is old enough you will bring her to me. If she is not with us, then I will kill her….and I will make you suffer.” The wind screeched again, breaking calm of the alley, shrieking like something being torn apart. The man covered his ears and bowed his head watching his blood and tears trickle to the dark pavement.
With the piercing abruptness that the wind appeared, it quieted; the sounds of the city turned on like a radio and rushed down the alley way. The man dragged his teary gaze up from the pavement to the master, but the dark one was gone.
© Copyright 2005 Jana (katwood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/993378-Child-of-Darkness-Revised