*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998622-What-is-love
by Bird
Rated: E · Other · Other · #998622
An essay that poses my theory on what love means.Open for comments with other theories.
What is love? Is it knowing that the person you care about will call you that night and you two will talk for hours? Is it the feeling so such extreme helplessness and distress after you have been hurt by that person? Or is it simply the feeling of completeness you feel with that person...

I believe love does not exist. It is an emotion that is actually a mixture of all others.. and it marinates in the pot of selfishness. Feeling the need to care for someone does not stem from the attention they give you but rather something internally that tells you it is your duty to make them happy in every way. Once this stage has been reached, hopefully it becomes mutual and is what me are taught as love. But my defintion identifies love as mutual appreciation deriving from a self satisfaction.

So you may ask.. "If love is just self satisfaction, then why do people fall out of love." The answer is simple yet complex, as is the concept of love. There is some insecurity about the other party or self that has some how manifested in the mind of the lover. It cannot be controlled. Love is the one emotion that can't be manipulated because it is a subconscious emotion. A feeling that reemerges with the slightest remince of a love. You see a cardinal and are reminded of his curly red hair. You see a dumbbell and are reminded of his devotion to athleticism.

Love is the most selfish emotion which is why it therefore causes so much trauma when attacked. It cannot be faked and you are powerless to prevent everything you have run from to reemerge. You are compelled to share memories that truly hurt you with your partner or best friend.

So why do people fall in love?

It is to "have a witness to their life." When God calls us home, it is a comforting thought that although you will cause them pain, you will be missed. Your greatness while on Earth will be told to other generations. Your life will not have been wasteful, but rather a rich journey in which you were able to touch the lives of many.

Your life was a journey. A stream that constantly wondered what its destination would be. Some never make it to the great ocean where the beautiful waves wash over shores. The light from the sun twinkling on the pale blue seas. A sight in which the serenity appears to be everlasting. You have reached a point where no changes in climate can changes your volume. You are constant and the physical causes of nature no longer appeal to you.

The chirping of birds no longer inspires you, but rather disrupts the silence that allows you to focus on the sound of your own breathing.

Being in a large group of people does not boost your ego, but rather interrupts your time to reflect on self.

The love of your life is not the one that completes you, but rather the person that continues to rise you up emotionally until you reach a point where they become your priority and the mutual appreciation has been reached, but a million pages cannot describe the pleasure of knowing you've reached this stage in life, and not self help books can bring it too you. Love is the mist that falls upon us in the thick of the night after a rainfall. We are so wrapped up in our destination rather than simply looking two inches in front of our eyes and realizing where we are now.

We all have our opinions.. and im interested to hear what others feel about my writing.. thank you
© Copyright 2005 Bird (its_just_me at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998622-What-is-love