*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002781-Teaching-From-Home
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1002781 added January 25, 2021 at 10:25am
Restrictions: None
Teaching From Home
Locale: Bloomington, Illinois

Week of: January 11, 18, and 25, 2021

         For the longest time, I didn't really like delivering online classes.  The reason?  It meant I wasn't going somewhere, but that was only a minor consideration.  In our online deliveries, there is no video feed, so we can't see the students, they can't see me.  Yes, I can turn my webcam on, and I do at times when using my whiteboard.  But there's really no need for it, then again, there's a big need for it.  If you've participated in instructor-led online learning, you can appreciate the need to share video.  At the same time, video requires a lot of bandwidth, and for some, that's not possible.  Plus, at times I need to access the company's VPN which does cause connectivity issues at times.  (There's a problem there somewhere, but it's not something I can correct).  So, we don't use video for the most part.  As an instructor, I like being able to see the students.  I can judge how they are receiving the information, when they might be confused, etc.  With no video, that's impossible.  So for me, an online class is a necessary evil so-to-speak, one we can't avoid.  These past two weeks, and this week, I am delivering classes from home.  Next week I'm on vacation, and the following week I'm not scheduled to deliver anything.  I won't know what to do with TWO Weeks free!  (Kidding of course).

         This my fourth week in a row delivering a class, that's fine with me.  I've delivered three different classes in those four weeks, and this is a rare occasion where I will deliver the same class back-to-back.  I'm getting used to the online delivery, and like it more now since I can deliver classes from home.  Such a long commute though!  I have to walk downstairs to the basement after all.  But it's a quiet commute, and quite safe, as long as I don't slip on the stairs.  *Smile*

         My schedule is staying full though, so that's a good thing.  By the end of June, I will have delivered what is considered a full year's worth of classes.  Well, almost.  Still, that might give you an idea of how busy we all are.  It could be a lot worse, so I'm not complaining one bit.  Loving what I do is a benefit too.  I just wish all of you were as lucky as I am in your careers.


In Closing

         I am home this week, and the next two.  Then it's off to Sarasota, Florida followed by Lyons, New Jersey.  These two weeks free are necessary, because after that, my next free week won't be until May 24th!  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!

© Copyright 2021 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002781-Teaching-From-Home