*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
6
7
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1006273-UK-fare
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1006273 added March 13, 2021 at 8:48am
Restrictions: None
UK fare
PROMPT March 13th

What traditional ethnic food dishes from your culture does your family still enjoy? Tell us about how the recipe was passed down and what modifications were made over the years.

Oh my goodness, after living in Australia for nearly fifty years I still hanker after English pub food.
Pork pies, faggots and chips, mushy peas and of course fish and chips.
I’ve adapted somewhat to the food of Australia. The heat drives me out of the kitchen. Barbecues are the thing here and salads. Although of course we still love our fish and chips.
For the first twenty years of living here after leaving “home” we had our Sunday roast dinner. It didn’t matter if it was 40 degrees centigrade, we ate a piece of roast meat. Lamb, Beef or pork it didn’t matter, served with roast potatoes and maybe a Yorkshire pudding. I don’t know when I stopped the tradition but I never cook a roast dinner now.
Suet puddings were the deserts of my childhood. They were either golden syrup or fruit. Both were served with hot custard. Or maybe we’d have rice pudding. Cooked for hours in a slow oven until the top had a burnt skin on top. I loved the skin and used to fight over it with my brothers.
The famous English Breakfast was a big part of our diet growing up. I still cook this for my husband but it doesn’t appeal to me so much anymore.
The vegetables of my childhood were great. My dad used to grow our own. Broad beans, straight from their furry pods served with bacon and new potatoes straight from the garden smothered with butter.
Oh my, this prompt has sent me back down the rabbit hole to childhood.

© Copyright 2021 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1006273-UK-fare