*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015181-August-Celebrations
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1015181 added August 5, 2021 at 10:30am
Restrictions: None
August Celebrations
Written For "Blogging Circle of Friends DAY 3187 August 5, 2021
Write about your favorite thing to do in August.


         August is jammed full of birthdays and anniversaries in my family, so there is seldom a dull moment any longer. When I was young, my favorite thing to do during the month of August was go buy school clothes and supplies. I have always gotten excited about getting new pencils, erasers, and pens. But, hey, I've been writing as long as I can remember. I also loved to walk barefoot on the road that runs in front of my parents' house, popping tar bubbles with my toes and soaking up all of the stored heat with the soles of my feet. Growing up in a rural area (mostly farms and fields), I expect certain qualities for nature in August as well. Signs that tell me that Fall is on it's way. August in my life has traditionally been dry, hot, dusty. Along with September, the scent of dryness can be experienced, the smell is of grass turning to hay and the fresh dirt smell of fields being turned for the next season's planting. I am driven by my olfactory sense, so smells play an important role in my life and memories.
         This August, along with all of the birthdays and anniversaries, my husband and I have added in some tournaments. Disc golf. It's like ball golf only you throw frisbees (discs) at baskets instead of hitting balls at holes in the ground. After last year's chaos, we decided to live our lives to their fullest and get back to the things we love to do. Camping and fishing are next on my list. Maybe I'll remember to get fishing licenses for us next year...

Do you have a favorite tradition to do in the summer/ winter depending on where you live that you look forward to every year?
         No traditions in particular to speak of any longer. When our girls were young, we would take them every year to the NARBC (North American Reptile Breeders Conference) in the fall and in the spring, we would all go to Scarborough Faire (one of Texas's Renaissance festivals). The girls and I would also watch the parades together every year on Thanksgiving until they grew up and left home. Our little family also has "holiday quirks" seeing as how my husband is Canadian. We celebrate both U.S. and Canadian holidays. Two Thanksgivings, a longer Christmas celebration (as we include Boxing Day), Memorial and Remembrance Day - you get the picture. And in July, well, instead of only celebrating the Fourth of July, we also celebrate Canada Day...and our wedding anniversary in on July fourth as well - oh! and the family reunion for my family, so we have a yearly week-long celebration. It started out as just another excuse to party, but grew in meaning after the first few years.

LeJenD'Poet - Just plain ol' ME

girl with pencilSignature for those who are nominated for a Quill Award in 2021

© Copyright 2021 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1015181-August-Celebrations