*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016892-Road-Trip---Restaurants
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1016892 added December 28, 2023 at 8:21pm
Restrictions: None
Road Trip - Restaurants!
Locale: Charlottesville, Virginia, Hampton, Virginia

Week  of: August 30, 2021

         In my previous entries about this trip, I failed to mention where we dined, so thought I'd update you on this.  I do want to say one thing first though.  I know it sounds like I'm (or maybe Robert Waltz and I) are lushes, looking for our next fix of alcohol.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Yes, this trip was all about me getting to Virginia for that Bourbon.  That is true.  But we didn't drink much at all, and while it was about getting Bourbon, it was not about drinking it, at least then.  I don't drink and drive.  Hard, fast, rule I never break.  I've never had a DUI, and don't intend to get one anytime soon.  Besides, I really am a lightweight, any more than one drink and I'm done.  One is fine, I don't get drunk on one, but two or more, you never know.


         I started the trip a bit late on Thursday after spending the day working from home.  I left about 2 pm, but had to stop to get a haircut first, so I didn't get out of town until almost 3:30.  My plan was to spend the night in Cincinnati, I didn't arrive until almost 8pm.  I was tired, so any idea of going out was gone.  Friday's drive was a bit better, I arrived in Charlottesville about 5 pm.  Saturday was a day of driving, visiting my daughter, and the Distillery.  So where did we eat and what did we have?

         Thursday:  Panera Bread -  I just had a Caeser Salad with chicken.  They were getting ready to close, so it wasn't great, but it's the kind of meal I wanted and needed.

         Friday:  Bob Evans:  Not my favorite place for breakfast, but it was close, easy to get back on the route, so no brainer really.  There was a place I do enjoy called "Another Broken Egg", but it was about 25 minutes away, and in the wrong direction.

         Friday night:  I picked up Robert Waltz and Artemismad after getting settled in my hotel.  I had wanted to go to a place I found while in Charlottesville a few years back.  It's a South African place with food that is unlike anything I've had before.  Sadly, they are closed permantently. I mentioned that to Bob, and told him to decide where we should go.  We ended up going to Threenotchedbrewing  https://threenotchdbrewing.com/charlottesville-craft-kitchen-brewery/, a nearby brew pub.  Yes, we had alcohol.  I had a beer, sadly it was canned, Bob and Anna had Sake.  We decided on three appetizers while waiting for our table, and three more once we were sat.  Let's see if I can remember things correctly.  we had Pot-stickers, Hummus and veggies, and a bowl of Ramen.  Once we were at our table, we ordered three more.  A trio of mini-burgers, Nachos, and deviled eggs.  Quite the combination overall, and everything was very good.


         Saturday:  Bob confessed a desire for a Egg McMuffin, so we stopped there.  I decided on the two breakfast burritos.  Not my favorite place to stop, but we didn't have time to dine in at a decent place.

         Saturday lunch:  Bob and I walked to a nearby Pizza place only to find it closed, which meant  a return walk of a quarter mile.  Just that short walk wore me out!  We were heading to a Subway, but saw a Teriyaki place on the way and stopped there.  Sushi and a small plate later and we were sated, for now.

         Saturday dinner:  After our adventure was over for the day, it was time to head to Charlottesville.  Bob knew of a Vietnamese place in Richmond he recommended, so we stopped there.  https://mekongisforbeerlovers.com/ He had a make your own Spring Roll, and I had a Shrimp Pho.  Even their smallest size was too big for me, but not by too much. It was what I wanted and needed though.  I should have had more veggies all weekend, but sadly, nope.

         Sunday breakfast:  One of my favorite breakfast chains to dine at, First Watch.  https://www.firstwatch.com/locations/barracks  I had a nice omelet which was pretty good overall.  Lunch and dinner were mainly snacks during my drive.

         Not the healthiest meals all weekend, but better than fast food all the time.  I'm sorry if this is too detailed for you, but it is what it is, as they say.  Now to figure out how to get more personal road-trips like this!


In Closing

         That's about it for now, til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2023 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1016892-Road-Trip---Restaurants