*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017954-Paying-it-Forward
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1017954 added September 24, 2021 at 8:05am
Restrictions: None
Paying it Forward
Firstly I want to thank ...

Lilli, Mia in motion, Schnujo, Redtorwrite, Hummingbird, Just LeJenD', warpedsanity Lightsong, Dog, Addison, Soxweaver for at least attempting to find the clue, Sinbad...just for being you, The Story Master and Mistress...without you, there wouldn't be this community, to all those who come and read about my journey and to those I should have mentioned but didn't...and a very special thanks goes to WakeUp And Live, you are awesomeness personified.

Today I had my first one on one session (two on one, but I will explain) and it didn't go the way I expected it to go. I thought two on one might be because you can't trust a meth addict because of our fearsome reputation...but I was wrong (kind of getting used to this, and is a good thing).

I met two trainee Counsellors today...one was fresh out of uni (I think I might have been her first, and I hope she remembers me) and so quietly spoken and nervous, I had to keep asking what she had said, the other, probably one year out of uni...but both very much newbies.

After a minute or two of allowing them to guide the session, I decided to take the reigns...I mean, someone had to. So, I spoke, and they nodded with the same, "Hmmmm." at the appropriate moments.

They hung in there and deserved my respect just for trying and I in turn appreciate their want to help others.

Taking something away from this session was easy...I have been to more drug counselling sessions than either of these lovely young girls has had hot dinners (not something I say with pride or literally, but still, you get my point) but they are now better counsellors and will improve with each session they do. I took it easy on them, where once upon a time I may not have been as patient or kind, but, I was arrogant back then and these days, I try to refrain from being such a fool.

Today did nothing to damage my resolve, in fact, it helped me a lot to know that by gently guiding the session to the one hour mark without anyone becoming frustrated or embarrassed, I did something good. You all did something good for me yesterday by supporting me, even if all you did was read my words and gain some small insight into your own life.

The best therapy for me is paying it forward...good begets good...be kind and kindness will be you...think of others, but don't give so much of yourself there is nothing left over for you either...balance is the key to all possibilities and I feel as centred right now as I have in my whole life.

I don't often quote others, much to my own detriment at times, but today as I told my mom of today's experience, she began to recite a poem I have never heard, but am now glad I have.

Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be clever;
Do noble things, not dream them, all day long:
And so make life, death and that vast for-ever
One grand, sweet song.

Charles Kingsley



© Copyright 2021 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1017954-Paying-it-Forward