*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019708-Literary-devices
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1019708 added October 21, 2021 at 6:57am
Restrictions: None
Literary devices
Plot: Literary Devices ▼

(1) Brainstorm possible solutions to your conflict and complications using the list of literary devices below or your own ideas.
(2) Identify a mentor or helper who aids the protagonist(s) in achieving their goals.
(3) Identify any other literary devices from the list you could use to enhance your writing.

Literary Devices List
*Bullet* Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
*Bullet* Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired.
*Bullet* Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over.
*Bullet* Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger.
*Bullet* Self-fulfilling prophecy: Protagonist attempts to thwart prophecy but in attempting, fulfills it.
*Bullet* Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
*Bullet* Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
*Bullet* False Protagonist: The protagonist dies or turns out to be something other than the protagonist.
*Bullet* Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
*Bullet* Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along.
*Bullet* Irony: The exact opposite of what the reader expects happens.
*Bullet* Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
*Bullet* Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
*Bullet* Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord.
*Bullet* MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
*Bullet* Quibble: Following the letter of the law, contract, or agreement instead of its intent, changing the outcome.
*Bullet* Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention.
*Bullet* Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
*Bullet* Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
*Bullet* Breaking the Fourth Wall: A character speaks directly to the reader.
*Bullet* Or anything from this list: http://literary-devices.com/

The person that helps Ruth the most is her best friend. I can't help but think of a solution the moment I think of a problem. I pretty much have a mental idea of where I am going with this. I hope to keep the readers attention by having Ruth solve repeated issues. I guess I am a strait forward type of writer. I don't intend to try to trick the reader or be something I am not. The subject of grief is not a place for a ton of humor. This may be an emotional story, but I hope to help real people through grief through my fictional story. I will continue to communicate how I always communicate, no schemes or devices. It is just blunt honesty even in fiction.

a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2021 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019708-Literary-devices