*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023012-A-Year-Of-Discovery
by Sum1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2224976
Writings about things that have occurred in my life. Not in Chronological Order
#1023012 added August 6, 2022 at 10:11am
Restrictions: None
A Year Of Discovery
A Year Of Discovery



         I've discussed the health issues I learned about this year, and since it's now December, I thought I'd give any readers an update. But first, a 'timeline' of sorts for 2021.

         January: I went to Flagler County Florida the first week, and as it's turned out, that was my only field class for the year. The rest of January was spent teaching from home. These classes had been on my schedule for a while, so things were normal, or so I thought.

         February: I had seen my doctor about the terrible cough I had, and a CT Scan of my Sinuses and chest was completed early in the month. On the first Friday in February, we went to Peoria on a quick excursion; it was the return trip that was an eye-opener. I came to a stop sign at the interstate exit and started coughing. I thought I was okay but wasn't. The light turned green, and I pulled out like normal. Halfway through a left-hand turn, I passed out and ended up driving my van over a curb. I blew my left front tire and slightly scraped the bottom of the quarter panel (is it still called that?) in front of the tire. Long story short, the tire shop ended up replacing the tire, both tie rods on the left side and one on the right, along with something called the 'Knee'. Monday night I couldn't lie down because of the cough and ended up going to the ER. In Triage, the person who took my vitals decided I should be admitted. I spent 2 days there undergoing all sorts of tests. Later in the month, I was referred to an ENT, who ran his own tests, and wanted me seen by an Allergist. I also visited a Gastroenterologist that month, more tests.

         March: Testing, probing, blood samples continued to be drawn by the doctors I was seeing, and I was told I have Asthma. Strange, I thought people with Asthma had breathing difficulties, and while I had that terrible cough, I could breathe just fine. As it turns out, my lungs were not functioning properly, I failed every breathing test that measured lung capacity.

         April: The Allergist's test had shown that my immune system was not functioning properly, the readings were 'out-of-whack'. For any medical people who read this, my IG-A was pretty high, and my IG-G was very low. She referred me to a Hematologist. It was at this point that I realized I might be far more ill than I could imagine.

         May: The ENT performed Sinus surgery on May 26, and that really helped! About that same time, the Hematologist informed me that I have Multiple Myeloma, a rare form of Blood Cancer.

         June-December: I started Chemo Therapy in June. Fortunately, it was 'only' a weekly Subcutaneous shot (Velcade), and daily oral Meds of Revlimid (three weeks of taking the oral meds, 1 week not taking them, then repeat). This has continued all year. I was also prescribed Dexamethasone, a Steroid designed to counteract any iff-effects of the Chemo drugs. However, both Revlimid and Dexamethasone cause insomnia. I take the Dex on Fridays, I'm lucky to get 4 hours of sleep that night.

         October-December: In October, my left hand started going numb. At first it was minor, almost amusing. As time passed (a couple of days, not weeks) more of the hand was affected. Now, it's difficult to use it at all. My left arm is weak, I have trouble even opening the door to exit my van. It's hard to hold a fork (I'm left-handed) and eat, I cannot write much at all. When I do, it looks like the writing of a five-year-old. An MRI was done on my cervical spine, it revealed minor Hernias at the C2-C3, C3-C4, and C4-C5 junctions. A moderate size hernia exists at the C5-C6 junction, and a large hernia exists at the C6-C7 junction. On Tuesday, 12/14, I will visit a Neuro-Surgeon for evaluation, we'll see what path they want to pursue. The hernia at the C6-C7 junction is the cause of the numbness in my left hand. IF they opt for surgery, that operation is performed by entering the front of the throat. As I like to say, this too shall pass.

         It's been quite the year really, healthwise. On a personal level, I've had several challenges. But I'm still better off than many. Plus, I have had several sad moments this year. I lost two special friends at Motorola due to Cancer in July and August. The man who did basic yard maintenance for us passed due to Cancer in November. My ex-Mother-In-Law (a woman I considered a second mother) passed due to Dementia/Alzheimer's in September after spending 20 months alone in a nursing home, and another close friend passed due to the same cause in June. I've never had a year where that many people I know personally passed on. Life goes on, it always does. I keep that in mind. I also keep in mind two poems I wrote a while ago. They guide me far more than I thought they would when I wrote them.
 
STATIC
A Poem Of Faith  (E)
Written for The Thankful Poetry Contest 2020 - Honorable Mention
#2238289 by Sum1
STATIC
In His Presence  (E)
Do you ever feel God Nearby? You can, every day. Just try
#2201842 by Sum1
.


         That's all for now. Aren't you glad? Till next time, y'all be good, take care of yourselves, and love those who love you. And of course, keep on writing!

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023012-A-Year-Of-Discovery