*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026230-2722---Family-Traditions-by-Hank-Jr
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1026230 added February 7, 2022 at 11:04am
Restrictions: None
2/7/22 - Family Traditions by Hank Jr.
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo
7 February 2022


         Feb. 7 - my big brother's birthday. For a long time, I was jealous that he got to experience everything before I did. Even his birthday came in Feb. before mine does (mine's the 19th). But as kids, he let me tag along with him and his friends. I got into as much trouble as they did, and sometimes more. My family has always been a close one. Many other kids didn't have that and therefor couldn't understand the need I felt to take up for my big brother when he was getting bullied. Yeah, my brother is older, but he was always more of a pacifist while we were growing up where I was the one always looking for a fight or some other kind of excitement. I didn't like that people were bullying my family - so on more than one occasion I beat them up since he wouldn't.
         Adulthood separated that sibling closeness. He was done putting up with my shenanigans and I wasn't about to stop. And still, he was the first to do things: have a kid, get married, own his own house. Today I look back and think well, that's his right as the older sibling. Back then I couldn't see it though. And so, I sought out things he'd never do or try so I would have some "firsts" of my own. More shenanigans, more trouble - especially within the family. And time marched on - but I haven't missed a year of wishing him a happy birthday. Even those years he refused to talk to me. Somewhere along the way, our personalities switched a bit. He became more confrontational, and I became more reserved. That's the working of things I suppose.
         Nowadays, he drives me up a wall and I can only handle him in small doses. But he's my brother so I set aside my differences a couple times a year for the good of the family. And hey, when asked while at these family functions, "Why do ya drink?" The answer is easy. It's the best way to dull the annoyingness of my brother. And it's in my blood to do so (that's another story). And getting stoned? Well, that's one helluva way to make time around the big bro more livable. And so, I guess I started my own Family Traditions...

Happy birthday big bro. This one's for you.



Family Traditions - Hank WIlliams Jr.



© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026230-2722---Family-Traditions-by-Hank-Jr