*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032721-Wheres-the-Work-Ethic-Gone
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1032721 added May 22, 2022 at 10:13am
Restrictions: None
Where's the Work Ethic Gone?
Recently, I haven't been writing as much as I'd like. My little "side job" has turned into a full-time affair. The words are still whizzing around in my head, but I lose them before I have time to write them down. In the mornings, I usually only have time to check out QOTD and EIGHT while I am drinking my morning cup of coffee. By the time I get home, I am so exhausted that I usually just check what's happening on WDC before I pass out. I tried to write some yesterday, but only got through two lines before my eyelids began to close. Ugh! So today I am attempting a different tactic. I woke early and am trying to write before I go to work. The poem I began working on yesterday is still insistent in my mind and wants to be written, so write it I must.

** Warning! Rant Coming***

The job has gone crazy. We just lost the store manager, assistant manager, one of the shift managers, and one of our cashiers. The store manager left, and the rest followed. I don't really have a problem with people quitting their jobs, but to do so without notice puts more demand on the people who are left to clean up what's been left behind. To not show up or at least call in to let someone know you won't be showing up for the shift you are responsible for shows very poor work ethic, a lack of responsibility. I don't know how they could get hired elsewhere after pulling stunts like this, but somehow, they always seem to. Perhaps I am incredulous because I am from a different time, a time when work ethic was an important quality to possess. A fossil from a different era, back when people were less self absorbed and more considerate of others.
Maybe I don't belong in the workforce with all these youngsters who think they don't actually have to work while they are at their jobs. These people are the reason I am working so much that I barely have time for myself - let alone time for household chores, my husband, writing, or any hobby I might like to do. Am I disgruntled by the situation? You better believe it. But I'm not going to quit and leave the few who remain to struggle even more, that's not who I am.
I think it hurts worst of all that a couple of them (the older ones) I was close to considering as friends but they still had no regard for what their actions would do to me or anyone else. I was forced work to close the other day after I had opened the store that morning. Yeah I will get some overtime, but my body has to rest, and get food, and I have to use the restroom at some point. Fifteen hours is a long time for anyone to be on their feet, especially someone still not completely healthy. My husband is worried that all the newly added stress and work is going to start making me sick again. Probably will. But am I just going to set aside my responsibilities and ethics and just quit? Not even likely. I suppose that's the difference between me and those others. Whatever the case, it seems responsibility and consideration for others has gone out the window in many of the younger generations.

I'm glad I instilled good work ethic in one of my girls at least. The oldest, well, like the rest of the people her age, she wants to do the very least and EXPECTS to get paid like she actually worked for it - or even worse, to get hand-outs while she does nothing.

These kids don't listen when we say that's not how the world works. You gotta earn what you get - from money to respect - you gotta earn that stuff! It's not an entitlement, you have to work for it.
But if somehow we have entered a time when that is how the world is starting to work, I don't want any part of it.

Okay rant over. How do you feel about it? Let me know in the comments below.

© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032721-Wheres-the-Work-Ethic-Gone