*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033188-Song-for-the-Asking
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1033188 added June 25, 2022 at 12:35am
Restrictions: None
Song for the Asking


Song for the Asking


"I enjoy our walks together, Sandy, especially here through City Park where you can hear the zoo animals settling down for the night."

"I like them, too, Rick, and I really appreciate you picking me up at the airport. Denver International's so far away from here, it almost feels like it's just that - in another country!"

They both laughed.

"It's a lot further than the old Stapleton, that's for sure," Rick agreed. "Just so we're clear, though: I would've driven all the way to Lincoln to bring you back for the weekend, and then driven you home again and not thought twice about the distance."

"That's so sweet, Rick."

"Sweet?" Rick sighed. "Man, I haven't gotten any better at this since high school." He took a deep breath, clasped both her hands in his, then just plunged on. "What I'm trying to say, Sandy, is I love you and I'd do anything for you."

She gazed at him, not saying a word, as he led her over to a bench just off the path. He gestured for her to sit, then lifted the guitar case from around his neck and removed an old acoustic guitar.

"I was wondering if there was actually an instrument in there, or if it was an offbeat carrying case. I didn't know you played."

"I don't, not really. I've been taking lessons to learn just this one song."

Strumming softly, Rick sang along with the notes, serenading the woman he loved with Simon and Garfunkel's "Song for the Asking" and looking into her eyes the entire time. When he finished, he said, "Paul Simon undoubtedly sang it better, but there's no way he meant it more than I do. I do want to change my ways; I don't want to be single anymore. I love you, Sandy Wilson, and I want to marry you."

"I kind of thought that's what the song meant," she whispered, then smiled and added, "it's quite a few cuts above that poem you wrote for me!"

"You still remember that?"

"Remember it? I still have it - somewhere in storage, anyway. I never told my ex about it, before or after we married, but I thought it was very sweet. I just couldn't do anything about it, or even say anything. I was with someone at the time and loyalty means a lot to me. I clearly understood your loyalty to me when you didn't bad-mouth me around school, not to mention how upset you got when I told you about my ex's behavior."

"I've loved you since our band days together, you know, even though after the poem you seemed lost to me forever. I was never happier than when I saw you walk into that banquet hall at the reunion. So, what do you say, Sandy?"

"I say 'Yes!', Rick Albright, with all my heart!"

Their embrace and kiss garnered quite a few looks from passersby, but the newlyweds-to-be didn't care one little bit.


[WC: 500]

Lyrics

Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033188-Song-for-the-Asking