*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033192-Baby-Driver
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
#1033192 added June 25, 2022 at 12:34am
Restrictions: None
Baby Driver


Baby Driver


"Evening, Rick!"

"Hey, Steve! A Guinness, please, and hold me to just the one, in case habit kicks in, okay?"

"Just one? What's up? I mean, you don't sit here and guzzle 'em down like they'll quit making 'em tomorrow, but just one's a pretty slow Friday for you. Have to go into the office tomorrow, or something?"

"No, thank goodness! Nope, I'm heading home to get about five or six hours sleep, and then it's I-76 and I-80 here I come!"

"Road trip, eh? Where're you headed?"

"Lincoln, Nebraska: home of the state capital, the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers - and one Sandy Wilson."

"Sandy...Sandy? Say, that wouldn't be your lady from the reunion, would it?"

"It would indeed, and that's one heckuva memory you've got, Steve!"

"It comes in handy around here, as you might guess, and it hasn't been all that long since the reunion."

"You should pay more attention to your calendar, my friend. It's been a year."

"Really? I guess it has, at that. Now that I think about it, I do believe you have mentioned her off and on for quite some time now."

"You believe correctly. We've been trading texts, emails and phone calls, as well as seeing each other at least a couple of times a month."

"Sounds like you've been working pretty hard at building that bridge you mentioned."

Rick's face took on a fairly serious look. "I have. We have. It's just a little over seven hours to Lincoln, so I get a good pre-trip nap then hit the road. I hit a truck stop in Julesburg for one last cup of Colorado coffee, and then it's eastward bound past North Platte, Kearney and Grand Island, then on to Lincoln. We'll have brunch somewhere nice—The Green Gateau, usually—and then just spend time together. She's shown me around Lincoln, and we've even made the drive to Omaha to see the Missouri River a couple of times."

"Man, that's a lot of driving."

Rick smiled. "I don't mind one little bit."

"I see," Steve smiled back. "I'm very happy for you, my friend. So, what's to see in Lincoln?"

"There are some fairly unique museums and other historical stuff, and she works at the planetarium at the University of Nebraska State Museum."

"That's not actually on campus, is it?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, I'm just surprised you never mentioned your car getting painted red or something. You have Colorado plates, which are distinctive enough plus, if I remember correctly, you have a magnetic Ralphie on your tailgate."

"Oh, I see where you're headed with this. No, the kids are pretty respectful, actually, even the football players. I get some looks when folks see the tags, but it's no big deal."

"Maybe not for the newest Huskers, but I doubt their dads would be as respectful. I'll bet you a Guinness they haven't forgotten that come-from-behind win in '19, or the 'Fifth Down' play, either."

"The 'Fifth Down'? C'mon, man, that was way back in '90 and it was against Missouri!"

"Yeah, but it benefited Colorado."

"We're not even in the same Conference anymore, haven't been since '11."

"Football programs don't forget stuff like that, and the anniversary of the comeback game's coming up. There's a reason they're called rivalries, Rick. All I'm saying is, it might be better for your car if your magnetic CU mascot rode shotgun in your glove compartment."

"You may be right. Anyway," Rick checked his watch, "the road will be calling pretty soon and I need to be awake to answer. See you next week!"

"Have a safe trip, buddy!"


[WC: 603]

Lyrics

Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033192-Baby-Driver