*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033193-The-Boxer
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
#1033193 added June 25, 2022 at 12:34am
Restrictions: None
The Boxer


The Boxer


"Less than two months to go, Steve. Do you have it all planned out? More importantly, does Sheila suspect anything?"

"Well, I was hoping for Trinidad and Tobago, y'know? Trinidad's the home of calypso and steelpan music, and the islands are practically a rock-throw from Venezuela. It would have been a great two-fer," he sighed.

"But...?"

"Yeah - but. Sheila's passport's expired and there's no practical way to get it renewed in time, not to mention keeping it a secret. I can see just how it would play out, too: "Hey, sweetie, I'm heading to the post office. Wanna come with?" "And just what would I do there?" "Well, you could pick out some cool stamps for us, even get your picture taken!" "My picture? Okay - what's going on, Steve?""

"Yeah," laughed Rick, "I see what you mean. So, what's Plan B?"

"The U.S. Virgin Islands. They're cool, we've never been there, either, and the expired passport wouldn't be an issue. If we felt like it, we could even hop over to Puerto Rico. I saw a National Geographic special about bioluminescent bays, and Puerto Rico has three of the world's five. The one on the southwest corner of the island looked especially cool."

"That sounds fantastic, man! So, she's still in the dark?"

"Planning a U.S.-only vacation's a lot simpler, so I've been able to keep things under wraps. Thing is, though, she may be getting a little suspicious; she's definitely getting a little annoyed."

"Annoyed?"

"Yeah. She's been hinting at stuff she'd like to do for her birthday and, while I've never come right out and said 'No' or that I didn't like her ideas, well, let's just say my responses have been less than enthusiastic. If I'm not careful, I'll end up sleeping on the couch right up to the week we start packing for Charlotte Amalie."

"The week before? Not the day before?"

"Oh, no, man! If I tried to keep her from shopping for the trip, there'd only be one of us alive to even get on the plane!"

The men shared a hearty laugh.

"Too true, Steve! Too true. Say," Rick checked his watch, "I'd better get going. Your mention of National Geographic earlier reminded me of a PBS Special I want to watch tonight. Muhammad Ali passed away this month back in 2016`and they're airing a retrospective."

"Now, there was a fighter," Steve acknowledged.

"Sure was, in and out of the ring, right up to the end. I'll never forget him lighting the Olympic flame in Atlanta at the '96 Summer Games, the Parkinson's making his hands shake so bad."

"Yep, and being named an honorary Olympic flag bearer for the 2012 Summer Games in London was pretty cool, too. Have a good evening, Rick."

"You, too, Steve."


[WC: 464]

Lyrics

Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033193-The-Boxer