*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033196-Cecilia
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
#1033196 added June 25, 2022 at 12:33am
Restrictions: None
Cecilia


Cecilia


"...so I told her if she thinks I'm gonna take her back, just because she said it was a one-time thing and she was sorry, she'd better think again."

"I'd probably have said the same thing, although it's tough shutting her down like that. I mean, you guys have been together, what, three years?"

"Would have been four this October. I hear ya, Jim, but a guy's gotta draw a line somewhere, right?"

"Yeah, I guess that's true. Hey, Steve," Dan called, "I think we're gonna need another couple of beers."

"Coming right up, fellas." Steve swung by to pick up the empties and a tip left by another regular, then strode back to the taps to fill his newest order. The barman was on his way back to the end of the bar, a beer in each hand, when Rick seated himself.

"The house beer, when you get a chance, Steve," Rick ordered as the bartender passed him.

"Sure thing, Rick." Steve placed the beer glasses on the waiting coasters.

"Here you go, gentlemen: two Franziskaner Weissbiers. That'll be twelve...hang on a sec."

Steve followed some music—Rick was almost sure he recognized the tune—back to the center of the bar and answered the phone.

"Radegast Bar & Grill...No, Mr. Havlicek isn't in this evening...Of course, sir. I'll pass that along...You, too, sir. Thank you."

Steve hung up the phone, then grabbed a pilsner glass and turned to one of the taps. He held the glass in place, tilted it a bit, then opened the tap and let the beer flow until the head had almost reached the top of the glass. He set it down on the counter below the bar and went to collect payment for the two Weissbiers.

Rick hitched himself up a little, so he could watch the foam begin to settle. Properly pouring a pilsner wasn't like pouring most beers, and it always fascinated him. Steve busied himself for a minute, then added beer to Rick's glass, until the foam just peeked over the top of the glass.

"That's two," he noted to Rick as he headed to the end of the bar to greet a couple of new customers. They each wanted a bottle of Czechvar, so it was just another minute until Steve picked up the glass, added the finishing touch and set it down in front of his friend.

"Here you go, Rick: one Radegast Rázná 10. It should still be at about 42° F., so there's no need to rush."

"Thanks! Say, Steve," he added as the bartender started to move away, "what's with the Jaws ringtone on the phone? The owner a big Spielberg fan?"

"A lot of customers make that mistake, although none of Mr. Havlicek's close friends would. It's actually the first eight bars of the fourth movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony - you know: "From the New World". He and his folks escaped from Czechoslovakia during the Prague Spring of '68 when he was just a kid. He grew up listening to Dvorak, Smetana - all the great Czech composers. Smetana's symphonic poem "The Moldau" is one of his all-time favorites, but it doesn't really lend itself to duty as a ringtone."

"Learn something new every day. Thanks for the beer and the music lesson, Steve."



[WC: 549]

Lyrics
Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033196-Cecilia