*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033195-Keep-the-Customer-Satisfied
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2274097
A short story collection based on Simon & Garfunkel's album [Musicology Anthology, 5/'22]
#1033195 added June 25, 2022 at 12:33am
Restrictions: None
Keep the Customer Satisfied


Keep the Customer Satisfied


"Evening, Steve!"

The bartender put down some sort of catalog and walked over. "What'll it be tonight, Rick?"

"Well, I think I'm in the mood for something...I dunno, something different."

"Different, huh? Well, the Black Knights at West Point are gearing up for their season opener, so how about a Black and Gold?"

"Black and Gold? You mean, a Black and Tan?"

"Not here I don't. We mix Pilsner, which we think has a more golden color, and Guinness; Black and Golds elsewhere are usually Guinness plus a cider. If you want different, this ought to fill the bill."

"Pilsner and Guinness? That sure sounds different." Rick thought a second. "Sure, why not?"

He watched Steve quickly draw a half glass of Radegast, then very slowly pour a bottle of Guinness over the reversed bowl of a spoon into the glass. The two liquids didn't really mix, and the pilsner's foam rode on top of the Guinness.

Steve watched Rick's face as he sipped the concoction. "Well?"

"It's amazing! I can taste each of them separately!"

"And as long as you don't drink too quickly, or swish the glass around, they'll pretty much stay separated all the way to the end."

"I've heard of these mixes, obviously, but I've never had one. It's another new thing for my 'What shall I drink?' list."

"Glad to be of service."

"Speaking of new, what's with the catalog I saw? You guys adding some more brands?"

"What? That?" He retrieved the catalog and handed it to Rick. It was a travel catalog that seemed to have a Caribbean focus. "Sheila's birthday's about two months out, so I was thinking about a cruise."

"That's a great idea, and sure to keep that 'homestyle customer' satisfied. You certainly have the knack for the customers around here."

"Thanks, Rick; I appreciate that."

"Would it be okay if I dropped off a card for her? I mean, I've only met her a couple of times and she's your wife and all. It wouldn't be anything fancy - promise."

"Yeah, sure. I've mentioned you to her a few times, passing on some of the stories and info you've shared, so it oughtta be cool. If you want it to be on time, it needs to be here by August 9th."

"The 9th? You're kidding! That's the day Nixon–"

"–resigned from the Presidency in '74; yeah, I know. It gets even better: that date's her actual birthday. While he was saying goodbye to the country, she was telling the world 'Hello!'"

"Well, the day certainly worked out better for Sheila."


[WC: 430]

Lyrics


Won during one of  [Link To User wordgeek] 's fundraisers
© Copyright 2022 Writer_Mike (UN: mikewrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writer_Mike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033195-Keep-the-Customer-Satisfied