*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037692-Buffalo-New-York
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1037692 added September 20, 2022 at 9:10pm
Restrictions: None
Buffalo New York
Locale: Buffalo, New York

Week of: 9/5/22

         This week finds me in Buffalo New York for a three day class.  The customer this week is Erie County looking for a bit of a tailored class on different devices.  Getting here was not near as bad as trying to get to Albuquerque last weekend.  There were no flight delays at all, but, there's always a but, isn't there?  But.  I had to fly from Bloomington to Chicago, Chicago to Philadelphia, and Philadelphia to Buffalo to get there.  Obviously there were other flight options, but the connections were either too short, or too long to consider using them.  Coming home, I was able to fly from Buffalo to Chicago, and Chicago to Bloomington.  The only advantage to having two-stops on the way there was that I was given priority due to the length of time I'd spend traveling.  Believe me, I'd take a non-stop flight any day (not possible from Bloomington), or a one-stop trip over a two or more stop trip.  But, talking about it doesn't do any good, does it...


         The class itself was excellent.  The students wanted, and needed to learn about the equipment in their system, I was quite willing to share what I could.  There was a lot of interaction and discussion between all of us during the class, with the hands-on activities going quite well.  Class ended on Friday about 2 pm, then it was time to head home.  I'd only have long enough at home before heading out again though.

         You can't go to Buffalo (in my opinion) without seeing Niagara Falls (been there, done that), or riding the 'Maiden Of The Mist', (a boat tour of the falls), been there and done that too.  Since I had already seen the falls on two or three previous occasions, I decided not to go again.  That's a shame too, but because water does draw me, whether it's fresh or saltwater.  Also, there wasn't really time enough in a  day, other than after work.  Usually I'm too tired now to get out much, which also contributed to my decision about going.

         Another thing you have to do, if you're a foodie, is visit the 'Original Home of Buffalo Wings', the Anchor Bar & Grill downtown.  It was there that this whole Buffalo Wing madness started.  https://www.thetravel.com/where-did-buffalo-wings-originate/  So being there, I obviously had to have dinner there one night.  I've been told that The Anchor Bar doesn't have the best wings in town, but they are the original home, so going there was a must for me.  *Smile*


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Anchor Bar & Grill          https://anchorbar.com/          As mentioned, I had to go there.  The wings were fine, but not the really spicy Buffalo Wings you find at most places, like Buffalo Wild Wings.  I enjoyed their appetizer of Stuffed Hot Peppers, which were Hungarian peppers stuffed with a blend of cheeses and baked to perfection, served with garlic toast.  I had 5 wings on the side, soaked in their secret sauce, and their Tuna Melt Sandwich.  No wonder I gain weight when I travel! 


         Liberty Hound          https://www.libertyhoundbuffalo.com/menu          This place is on the river, with a menu that just sounds like one could spend a week there sampling dishes.  Sadly, I only had the one night to sample their dishes, and believe it or not, I only chose one.  Their Mediterranean Salad.  I was in the mood for a salad, and this hit the spot.  It was not small by any means, consisting of Romaine Lettuce, Kalamata olives, tomato, red peppers, onion cucumber, feta, pepperoncini, pita.  I couldn't have asked for a better dish that night.

         Deep South Tacos          https://deepsouthtaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/DST_Food-menu_2022.pdf          This place was a block or two away from my hotel, walking there was easy, even for someone my age.  They had quite the selection of sipping Tequila's, but I steered away from those.  I did have a Bourbon based drink called The Revenge Of The Luchador, it was exactly what I was looking for that evening.  Strong, but not too strong, flavorful with the Bourbon and Reposado Mezcal dominating it.  Their Shrimp Ceviche came on a hard corn tortilla, that was a little surprise, but it was quite satisfying.  For dinner I had three of their taco's.  A Shrimp Taco, a Fish Taco, and a Korean Beef Taco.  The tastes of each was quite different, especially the Korean Beef taco. I need to go back and try more from their menu, and have another Revenge of The Luchador.


In Closing

         Next week I will be in Sacramento California for a week, then enjoy a week of downtime (vacation anyone?).  During that week we'll go to Virginia Beach for the Akita National Dog Show.  I will make sure I visit my oldest child while there.  She lives in Hampton Virginia.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037692-Buffalo-New-York