*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045138-The-promising-training-plan-for-novelists-part-I
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2289399
Here you'll get lots of tips, motivation and experience to finally write your novel
#1045138 added February 21, 2023 at 12:59am
Restrictions: None
The promising training plan for novelists, part I
Here you are now. On the Internet. You're reading through this article. It's good to see you, but didn't you actually want to ... write?

Most likely your answer will be "yes." Even then, you are welcome to read on. This one more article. Then you should start writing. Anything.

Some people wonder how to start writing a novel.

Note: If you speak German, you should definitely visit Schriftsteller-Werden.de, there are a lot of helpful tips and tricks.

I, too, have thought about this question.
Little by little, a training plan has emerged from these thoughts.

It helps you get into the flow of writing and learn techniques, but it doesn't help you plow through a novel or give you tips for every scene.

What more can I say? Let's do it!

TRAINING PLAN

SHORT STORY (~100 words).

We're going to start small. Really small. You want to write a novel? Then you need to be able to write chapters, scenes, paragraphs.

So now write down five to ten terms that come to mind and connect them into a concept map (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_map) or, if that doesn't work, into a cluster (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_(Creative_Writing)).

From these terms you then write a story. Not even a real story, more a snippet of text. It doesn't have to have a beginning-middle-end structure! It is enough if it has a punch line. If it doesn't seem right to you, you don't have to mention all the terms, but try to use the manufactured references and include at least 3 terms in a meaningful way.

ATMOSPHERE TEXT (300-500 words)

Now write an atmospheric text. You put yourself in a situation and try to create an atmosphere.

Read through the text again and make sure you've stuck to show-don't-tell.
So you should write "she was shivering" instead of "she was cold."
Say "she ran around the house like crazy, rummaging in all the boxes. For days. Nothing. She slumped down in the chair and took the coffee cup in both hands. The coffee was cold." and not "She looked for a long time, but couldn't find it anywhere. She had no strength left Bund no hope."

COMIC STRIP (~600 words).

This is one of my favorite exercises.

You take a comic strip, Snoopy, Dilbert, whatever. Preferably this is only three, four boxes (panels) long, but if you feel up to it, you can of course take a longer one.

Now write about 200 words for each panel and try to connect the panel descriptions.

Feel free to set a timer or use a prompt-giving, motivating, and time-measuring website like this one: https://thestoryshack.com/writing-exercise/

What point of view did you choose? Were there also thoughts or only action? Did you describe the setting? Did you describe rather than tell? Take the time to check.

Now you can pat yourself on the back. You've come a long way. Take a break, eat something or sleep. The article is not running away from you.

© Copyright 2023 Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog (UN: idaschreibt357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045138-The-promising-training-plan-for-novelists-part-I