*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045399-Chapter-14
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1045399 added February 23, 2023 at 10:01am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 14
THTW 2023 Chapter 14
         "I don't understand going back to city life," said Tim.
         "It's where I belong now," said Kristin.
         Darrel had stood in the doorway listening. When they finished he excused himself and went out the front door. Kristin ran after him.
         "How are you going to go anywhere? You left your truck at the manor."
         "I can walk to Bixby."
         "You want to get away from me that bad?"
         "There was a time when you thought you belonged here."
         "So, I'm just supposed to give up everything I built for myself in the city?"
         "That's up to you, Kristin. It's not like I can give you a reason to stay. I couldn't then and I can't now."
         Darrel walked out the gate and crossed the street before heading toward Bixby.
         "We'll catch him and give him a ride," said Dean.
         "Thanks." Kristin went back in the house.
         "can I make the children something to eat?" asked Marissa.
         "We should all eat. I'll help you fix something."
         "We talked about it, and we want to try and get this house," said Tim.
         "If I do stay here I will get an apartment. I'm sure we can work something out."
         "The only asset we have now is the manor," said Marissa.
         "Sold. I'll give you even swap. I'll call Mitch and get the paperwork started."
         Kristin answered the door. It was Mitch.
         "Were your ears burning?"
         "It seems like someone is always talking about me. I got good news. I found an apartment for Nancy and Brad. I just showed it to them and they love it."
         "Great. A friend in Tunning has an overstock of baby stuff, including furniture. I'll send the boys over to pick it all up."
         "Sounds good. There is something we need you to do."
         "You said you were talking about me. What about?"
         "The Logans and I are going to swap properties. This house for the manor."
         "Sounds good. It shouldn't take much paperwork.."
         "First I have to fix it so it can be occupied."
         "Can you do that?" asked Marissa.
         "I am the only one who can."
____________________________________________________________________
         Kristin stumbled and grabbed her head. She got a vision of Darrel's truck being thrown down the hill from the manor. Darrel was inside. Kristin screamed.
         Mitch rushed to Kristin's side and had Tim get a chair. Marissa got her a glass of water.
         "Darrel," whispered Kristin to Mitch. "You have to get to the manor."
         Mitch nodded and left.
         Marissa and Tim fawned over Kristin as she rubbed her temples. Kristin asked for her medicine from her purse.
         "Are you going to be alright?" asked Marissa. "Do we need to take you somewhere? Let you lay down?"
         "My visions tend to kick my butt sometimes."
         "I'm going to fix you a snack. You need to get your strength back."
         Kristin smiled weakly and closed her eyes. It felt good to have someone take care of her. She drifted into an uneasy sleep, dreaming of Darrel being seriously hurt and even his funeral.

         Kristin awoke to her cell phone. Mitch was rushing Darrel to the hospital. He had found Darrel's truck upside down at the bottom of the hill under the manor.
         Marissa would let Tim take Kristin to the hospital only after she ate. Kristin choked down half the sandwich and some milk.
         Tim had hardly brought the station wagon to a stop when Kristin got out and ran in the emergency doors.
         "Darrel Matthews."
         "Your relationship to the patient?"
         "I'm his fianc."
         "Your name please?"
         "Kristin Fisher."
         A nurse escorted Kristin to room 17. Darrel had a bandage on his head that covered his right eyebrow. He also had a bandage on his jaw on the left. Tubes and wires went everywhere including two IVs.
         "They're avoiding pain medication to see if he'll wake up. He has three broken ribs and his right forearm and dislocated the right shoulder. "
         Kristin went to the head of the bed and pushed Darrel's hair back. She caressed his cheek and tried to hold back the tears.
         "Fianc, Huh?"
         "It was the first thing I thought of that would get me information."
         Kristin put one hand on Darrel's chest and the other on his head. She envisioned Darrel fighting against the man with the cigar. Then the red glow threw him out of the manor. Darrel tried to drive away but the red glow encircled the truck and threw it down the hill. Kristin concentrated imagining filling Darrel with white light. Darrel coughed and black smoke came out his mouth. He coughed again and Kristin let him go. Darrel opened his eyes.
         "Kristin," whispered Darrel.
         "It's okay. Everything is going to be alright now."
         "I still love you Kris."
         The nurse came in. They were going to admit Darrel for observation.
         ________________________________________________________

         Kristin left the hospital and took a taxi to the manor. The doors wouldn't open. She sat on the lawn and meditated, trying to see inside.
         She could see the young woman in an upstairs bedroom vomiting into a bucket. She took some medication and fell into a deep sleep. The son was dragging a crying daughter down the stairs by her hair.
         "I make you go away and Mama will get better," said the boy. "You started this."
         The girl screamed for her mother and cried. The boy dragged her outside and to the well. He bashed her head in with a rock and threw her down the well. The old man fished her body out of the well. He laid her lifeless wet body on her bed. He went to the mother's room, brushed her hair out of her face and kissed her forehead. He checked on the boy who was asleep in his own bed. He locked the door and started pouring gasoline outside it. He made a trail of gas around the girl's bed and then the mothers. The manor was set ablaze. The old man sat in a den chair and let the smoke take him. There was a menacing scream as the fire took his body.
         "No one will leave," said a deep voice. "No one will ever leave."
         After the manor is burnt and the fire is out, Kristin saw the red glow in the basement. A man seemed pleased with the red glow. He did a ritual of some kind and the red glow began to swirl. Little black creatures of all shapes and sizes came out of the glow and disappeared down the hill. Kristin saw the man supervising the rebuilding of the manor.
         Kristin had leaned forward and clenched into the grass. Now she relaxed her hands and stretched her back.
         "Why do I feel like that isn't all of your secrets?"
         Kristin tried to get up but fell back. Forcing the visions had taken a lot out of her. She called Mitch and told him she needed a ride home.





         



© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045399-Chapter-14