*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047507-Frankfort-Kentucky
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1047507 added April 5, 2023 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
Frankfort Kentucky
Locale: Frankfort, Ky

Week of: 3/27/2023

         Last week found me in a new location.  New in that I've never delivered a class in this town/city.  I have driven past this area, and briefly stopped for lunch/gas maybe, but I've never spent any amount of time there.  I can't say that anymore, can I?  *Smile*

         Frankfort may be the capital of Kentucky, but it's a small town really.  But a small town with a lot to offer.  I have to say that an afternoon rush hour in downtown Frankfort does not exist.  In fact, it's almost deserted!

         So what does Frankfort have to offer since it is a small town.  Well, first and foremost, distillery's.  I'm not promoting drinking alcohol, or don't mean to be, but there are numerous distilleries in or near Frankfort.  One of the biggest is the Buffalo Trace Distillery.  It was this distillery that had me thinking I might find something from Pappy Van Winkle, though in retrospect I knew that wasn't about to happen.  For those who may not know, Pappy Van Winkle is one of the most rare Bourbon's around.  It is distilled in small batches, and a link to the 'OLD' Pappy Van Winkle Distillery near the Buffalo Trace Distillery is what led me astray initially.  That link listed a bottle of their 10 year old bourbon at $300, where if you were lucky enough to find one in a store, you would probably pay close to 8x that price!.  Having been educated about the Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon by my good friend Robert Waltz , I knew this was an excellent price.  But deep in my heart, I knew there wasn't a chance in #$^&  (you know what I mean) that I could get one.  Still, it was a nice fantasy/thought for a short while.  Learning that one of our members has a bottle of that vintage (Is that the right word to use regarding a Bourbon or Whiskey?) was almost mind-blowing.  Believe me, I'm happy for them.  If I had a bottle of that, I'm not sure when or if I'd open it!

         This Networking class was a little lot different from the others I've delivered.  First, it was for a Conventional Radio System.  Secondly, their system is not configured like others, nor is the hardware of the whole system placed like other systems.  It made for an interesting class, where I learned as much about their system as they did the networking configuration.  I will be back to Frankfort two more time for classes on different subjects, so this class helped me learn their system configuration.

Noteworthy Restaurants:

         Mami Monchitas  https://mamimonchitas.com/menu/  This is a Honduran restaurant that serves very good meals.  I love dining at restaurants that feature food from foreign lands.  Though I travel to places many of you never will, I know that I will never see everything our Mother Earth has to offer in the form of other cultures.  I dine at places such as this to experience 'Non-American' foods and culture.  I honestly feel that Kåre Enga in Montana does it right when he travels.  He eats, breathes, and drinks the local culture.  I'd love to experience a foreign country the way he does!  My meal was 'Steak Skewers, but they were seasoned far differently than the same dish when served in a standard American restaurant.  The menu listed this as 'Steak.  It was Traditional meat skewers deliciously marinated with fresh ingredients and served with white rice, refried beans, plátanos maduros (sweet plantains), chismol (Honduran “pico”) and chimichurri sauce.  Needless to say,  I will return here when I'm back for classes three and four weeks from now.

         Goodwood Brewing  https://www.toasttab.com/goodwood-brewing-company-frankfort/v3/  Here I enjoyed 6 wings, 3 each of BBQ, and Medium Chipotle Garlic.  Both were outstanding, but I lean more towards the BBQ Wings, mainly because i love good BBQ Wings.  My meal was Blackened Catfish on dirty rice with a side of Braised Collard Greens.  The catfish blackening was over-the-top really.  Spicy, but not overly so.  The dirty rice could have been a lot 'dirtier' though.  Still, I'll dine here again when I return.


In Closing


         Next week will find me in Schaumburg Illinois for a 'resident class.  It's a place I'm all too familiar with, but it will be fun.  We'll see how that trip goes.  Until next time, be good to those you love, spoil them, and write{!/size}


Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2023 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047507-Frankfort-Kentucky