*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054932-Prompt-one-Quote
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1054932 added September 1, 2023 at 7:06am
Restrictions: None
Prompt one. Quote
First entry for
FORUM
Blog Week Birthday Bastion  (13+)
Blogging event from September 1-7, 2023 Quill Nominee 2023. CLOSED
#2277665 by WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024


This is my original quote: “Looking in the rear view mirror not only shows where you have been but also guides your future.”

I seem to do a lot of rear-view mirror gazing these days. I suppose that’s because the road already travelled is much longer than the journey remaining.

We have four generations in our family now. My husband and I had three children, we have six grandchildren, the eldest 36 years old, the youngest just nine months. We have five great grandchildren. As I watch all these generations grow, and often struggle, I am in the unique position of seeing how certain childhood experiences have affected their adult lives. It has brought it home to me that how we raise our children is the most important job we as parents have. Children need love, structure, rules and parenting.
Even what may seem to be an innocuous remark or incident at the time, does and can have long lasting effects.
We say things such as: “Aren’t children resilient and adaptable?” Well actually that’s untrue. My 36 year old granddaughter has four children. They are the ones who are suffering from their mother’s mental illness. This illness has stemmed from a feeling of abandonment when she was a child when her father left. This has come as a revelation to us. We didn’t think it had much impact at the time. We as a family were honestly pleased he left. Now her doctor has diagnosed a serious mental illness stemming from childhood trauma.
What happens to these four little ones of hers now? They are being passed around between family members, changing schools and unable to see their mother in hospital? Will they be the future mental casualties?

Of course on the bright side, seeing a child encouraged to pursue her dreams of being a performer and watching her dream come true has been wonderful.
Worrying about a little one who was ‘different’ and watching him turn into the most amazing, kind, clever man has been a privilege and a comfort which I can give to others worried about children who don’t fit the mould.
The trick is to stay alive long enough to see how things turn out!



© Copyright 2023 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054932-Prompt-one-Quote