*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055252-Last-wishes
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1055252 added September 6, 2023 at 9:26am
Restrictions: None
Last wishes
FORUM
Blog Week Birthday Bastion  (13+)
Blogging event from September 1-7, 2023 Quill Nominee 2023. CLOSED
#2277665 by WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024

Prompt 6
Be as truthful and honest as you can be. Write a Life Will. What do you want your loved ones to know about your last days when you are terminally ill or suffer from dementia? What do you want and what not?

This prompt is a subject my husband and I talk about often. We have totally different views on what sort of funerals we want. He doesn’t even want one. He thinks they are a waste of money. I have told him if he goes first then he’ll have no say in his funeral and we’ll make a big fuss.
We both want to be cremated though. I can’t stand the idea of being underground. I’ve been claustrophobic all my life, I love the air, flying like a bird. So maybe some doves being released, that sounds lovely. Not balloons though they are environmentally bad.
I have also given strict instructions to everyone, many times, not to pick up my ashes after the cremation. I would despise being in an urn on someone’s sideboard. I don’t like ashes. It’s not the person anymore. Then comes the problem of where to scatter them. I don’t have a place where I want my ashes scattered.
My memories of people who have passed are in my mind and heart. I don’t need a gravesite or headstone. My mum used to say while someone speaks your name you’re still alive in someone’s memory.
The only other thing which I really desire at my funeral is for my granddaughter, Beth, to sing. She always sang, even as a child. Her dreams of being famous were abandoned and her other dream of being an actress took over. Now she’s a drama teacher and sings and acts everyday. I’ll miss her more than anyone.
I’d like a wicker coffin or even a composter. Composting is becoming quite common and the idea of being turned to earth in about six weeks appeals to me.
There are some hymns I like but as I’m not really religious I’d hope the family could select some appropriate music. The photos of me on display as a slide show I’d like to select myself. I’m not photogenic but there are a few that can stand a little scrutiny.
If my dog is still alive I’d want her to be at the service. Then as they close the curtains I’d like to have “always look on the bright side of life,” playing from Monty Pythons Life of Brian movie. That’s always been my motto.
As to the actual dying part, whether in hospital or at home I’d like to be as medicated as possible, preferably given the same respect as I’ve given my dogs at the end of their lives.

© Copyright 2023 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055252-Last-wishes