*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/231975-February-26-2003-pita
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
February 26, 2003: pita

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor


Greetings! I have spent a great deal of time trying to sort through the portfolios of the newest members of Writing.Com to put together my first newsletter. My mission was to find five portfolios to highlight, and ten to fifteen items to spotlight. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? It was not. Not at all!

If you think I am exaggerating visit the "Noticing Newbies forum and give it a try yourself. We have a wonderful group of new authors whose talents cover a wide range of genres from poetry to essays, from short stories to memoirs. The scope of vision and topic is, quite frankly, astonishing.

*Star* celeste632 A promising poet with an amazing voice and a gift for imagery.

*Star* chaliceofwee A new member with a variety of items in their port (poem, essay, short story,) that demonstrates an impressive range of talent.

*Star* moonstone35 A promising young novelist with an excellent grip on characterization and setting!

*Star* RjWaller RJ has a style that is concise and clear and allows him to tell a crisp and delightful tale without obscuring it with heavy stylistic flourishes.

*Star* Patty Apostolides A novelist and poet, this writer’s work uses powerful imagery in both prose and poetry. Dip into the port briefly and emerge amazed.


*Star* lost_one Do you like Rap, real-life slams, heavy alliteration, or Marimba music? Like a poem where the beat jumps off the page and dances as you read? ? This poet's work is provocative, cerebral yet evocative, and it is not for everyone, but if you love poetry and have music in your soul, don't skip his port!



Editor's Picks


Poetry

What happens when a seascape transcends metaphor?
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


A conflicted relationship in a sudden crisis. A powerful poem.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


When a cat becomes metaphor for unspeakable loss.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


A powerful southwestern landscape is transposed into liquid poetry.
 Home  [E]
This poem speaks of loneliness and security.
by writegirl is back


Sometimes a sleepless night is perfectly measured in words and hours.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Essays:

Ever wonder what the life of an ex-patriot is like and if they miss their homeland? This excellent essay takes you inside the heart of an ex-pat.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


A wonderful essay that indroduces this new member to the our community.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


A memoir of riding the rail, this is rich, complex, and detailed. It does have some adult themes.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Fiction:

How about something creepy, a story that will raise the hair on your arms and make you check behind every door.
 One Last Moment...  [ASR]
A last goodbye. For the February prompt of the "Stake & Garlic Contest"
by Serena Lake


A young writer with remarkable talent and a sharp eye and feeling for setting and dialogue, this work is impressive.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Currently the only item posted in this user's port, but a wonderfully textured read!
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Contests:

These are not items by newbies, but they are items of interest to newbies.

The first item is a contest for both site newbies and for teen writers, created by a teen writer. This contest allows you to test the waters without having to compete against people who seem to win all the contests! Aside from a generous prize pot, this contest offers one free one month upgrade to the best non-upgraded entry.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


This contest targets only young writers (under 18.) Again, this is a contest by a teen for teens. It allows a new and developing writer to go after prizes competing against against one's peers.
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


One way to improve is to enter a daily contest. It forces you to get faster, and along the way you’ll find it actually improves your writing skills. This is open to all case colors and newbies and old-timers on site.
The Writer's Cramp - Poetry Week  [13+]
Write the best POEM in 24 hours or less and win 10K GPs!
by Sophy


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer


Since I haven’t received any feedback or questions, I have opted to share excellent resources with you that may help you to navigate this massive site.

Noticing Newbies  [13+]
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
by The StoryMistress

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

The illustrated guide to linking  [ASR]
Confused about how to link? Exactly what to type? Click here!
by Writing.Com Support

and
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

The last item is solid advice from one of the top 40 most read writers on this site!

Warmest Regards
Pita
noticing newbies committee sig

Your editors:
outlawpoet
amawitch
yesnomaybe

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-12-03 @ 7:01pm | Modified: 03-12-03 @ 7:01pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/231975-February-26-2003-pita