*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/338241-Good-Bye-March
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #942302
Sunflower's Blog
#338241 added March 31, 2005 at 10:28pm
Restrictions: None
Good Bye March
I'm as confused as the weather about the seasons. It was cold last night. It was 77 this afternoon. It may be cold and wet before the night is over. I'm thankful to have shelter, blankets, groceries, car with gas, and 4 pets who love me. If you don't acknowledge the basics, and be grateful, it's easy to let commercials and "the Jones" set your pace.

I've had two very negative experiences with people this week. Not fights. Just interactions that leave me feeling bad for the other person. But I know I can best help myself, so I'm not going to focus on the negative past. Another day, another opportunity.

Weeds are knee high in the back yard, and landscape all over the city is sprouting its variety of color. This is a great time of year to drive around and observe other people's yards, so you can see what plants look like in their pristeen state.

I've put wisteria on my want list. The light purple flowers, standing upside down in many cases, really appeals to me. There was a beautiful patch growing alongside of my stepfather's driveway. His grandson plowed the whole yard over when he inherited the property. One year we took family Easter pictures with the wisteria and tulips in the background. It's funny how pictures can take you back to that day in your head. Close your eyes, and there you are again, with20/20 hindsight. . . if I'd only known then.

I enjoy gardening, and now is the time to start. The weeds are doing well. The sage, chrysathemum, and a rose bush are coming back. The box wood never dies. Four of the red tip photenia I planted last year are still alive. They are presently in the dog's path, and I ought to dig them up and put them in a better place. Perhaps I'll start a fence hedge.

I planted a pecan tree, for the benefit of the neighborhood squirrels, and some more trees are on the way from the National Arbor Foundation. With membership, you get free trees! They come tiny, but trees grow.

The sunflowers got an early start this year. When I feed the birds, the sunflower seeds fall into the ground along the path to my front door. Every year, my front walk is lined with 6 foot tall sunflowers, full of bees and life. I'm going to mix the striped and black sunflower oil types this year. After four years, I'm learning how to enjoy them. Somehow, last year, I had an actual sunflower forest in my back yard. Great shade for dogs and people.

So, the next step is to make my list of seeds to buy, and landscape to plan. I had a naturalist friendly certified yard last year. I need to look up that company name. It was some sort of naturalist group. The sunflowers all died before I realized I didn't get a picture of the flush of summer.

I love
to work in the flower beds, get dirt under my nails. I always find God in my garden.
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/338241-Good-Bye-March