*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/379783-All-School-Reunion
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#379783 added October 17, 2005 at 12:19am
Restrictions: None
All School Reunion
I went with my mother to her all school reunion in Van Alstyne, Texas last Saturday. Classes from 1933, 1038, and her class 1940, were the oldest represented. We left before they took the class picture for 1961, which included a cousin. Bob still has long hair and a long gray beard now. I feel like I get a Santa Clause hug from him when I see him. Didn't know him when I was growing up, but I look forward to my hug now.

We stayed at the reunion about two hours, and that gave mom enough opportunity to catch up with the small town gossip. I left a book for the school library that my poem was printed first in. I dedicated it to my mom and her class of 1940. The teacher seemed glad to get it, and assured me it would go the the library on Monday. So am I famous now? I have a book in a library.

Mom's life was so different for having moved away. There are some that went to that high school, and never left the small town for all their lives. They talk to her like she's left out in a way because she went off to the big city of Dallas when she graduated.

Since we've always lived in larger cities, and my graduating class had 2000 students, where you couldn't know everyone, I know she's lived a different kind of life than her friends. Maybe not better or worse, just different.

It was interesting to see the old classmates from all different years reuniting. You could tell who was popular, and who was probably a trouble maker back then. But people do change.

I haven't been to any of my class reunions. We moved my senior year, and I didn't make any long lasting friendships that year. I still have friends from where I went to school in Corpus Chrisit, for eleven years before I graduated. I feel like that's my home school, though I graduated from another. I guess your loyalty is were your heart is.
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/379783-All-School-Reunion